• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I bought one of these that had been a police trade in thinking it would be a good low recoil gun for the Wife and Kid to shoot. I gotta be honest these Smiths are awesome it's a steel frame so the recoil is quite low and the Wife was very quickly shooting it very nicely! My Point? I paid around 300 for this gem so if you see one don't be afraid to take a chance!!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah the 5906 is a pretty awesome handgun that can be had for cheap. My dad has an all stainless one that he bought new back in the early 90s and its a joy to shoot.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    5906's are overrated. They are great guns however you have to watch it because there are 2 3rd generations. the first batch of 5906's have a squared trigger guard. They have very long and heavy DA trigger pulls. The 5906's that came a little later that have the rounded trigger guards have a much better lighter DA trigger pull.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I got a 3913 (single stack 9mm) in trade and absolutely love it. The trigger is great. Perfect size for me to. I put some Houge wood grips on it and now it looks good too.

3rd gen Smith's are often overlooked. Glad you like yours.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    5906's are overrated. They are great guns however you have to watch it because there are 2 3rd generations. the first batch of 5906's have a squared trigger guard. They have very long and heavy DA trigger pulls. The 5906's that came a little later that have the rounded trigger guards have a much better lighter DA trigger pull.
    P

Really?....as I own both the 89-90 square trigger guard and a 93 round trigger guard version. I can see no difference in the DA trigger pull between the two....the trigger was redesigned when S&W moved from 2nd to 3rd gen in late 88..(2nd gen triggers were awful!) And remained the same until it was discontinued from production....from what I've experienced and read....granted these triggers are typical of a Smith auto with Lots of take up...and nowhere near as crisp and clean as a Smith Revolver trigger. I've not seen or heard of two different 3rd gens until this very post...the only things that changed over the production were cosmetic, unless indicated by a redesign ie dash number....btw I love my 625's :)

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    P

Really?....as I own both the 89-90 square trigger guard and a 93 round trigger guard version. I can see no difference in the DA trigger pull between the two....the trigger was redesigned when S&W moved from 2nd to 3rd gen in late 88..(2nd gen triggers were awful!) And remained the same until it was discontinued from production....from what I've experienced and read....granted these triggers are typical of a Smith auto with Lots of take up...and nowhere near as crisp and clean as a Smith Revolver trigger. I've not seen or heard of two different 3rd gens until this very post...the only things that changed over the production were cosmetic, unless indicated by a redesign ie dash number....btw I love my 625's :)

I ment underrated, it was late and hard to type with 3 mini dachshunds on your lap. I have found through my experiences with them that the early 3rd gen 5906's have a heavier DA trigger pull than any of the later 3rd gen versions with the rounded trigger guard. I have experience with both of those 5906's as well as the 5946 (DAO) and 5926 with the de cocker. The later versoins with the rounded trigger guards were better in the trigger department FWIW.
    625's rock!

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    I have a 5906, 4506, and a 3913! All great guns. Built like tanks. I really prefer these to the modern M&P handguns. I really wish Smith would put these back into production!:(

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a 2nd gen all steel 559. God awful trigger. Heavy as a sin on your mind. Fun to shoot. I love the older Smith's. Best gun I'll ever own. Cause dad gave it to me.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Great guns, built very stout, they will last a lifetime.

At $300!! Its a lot of gun for the money, you will not be disappointed, neither will your grandkids if you keep it, it will just keep going and going......

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I own the 5903 which is the lighter cousin due to aluminum frame. Great pistol. I am a big fan of 3rd gen. Smiths and prefer them to the modern M&P line.

I got a 3913 (single stack 9mm) in trade and absolutely love it. The trigger is great. Perfect size for me to. I put some Houge wood grips on it and now it looks good too.

3rd gen Smith's are often overlooked. Glad you like yours.
    I have the 5903 and a 3913 and love them both.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I miss my 3913, have tried to replace it several times, but can only find those ugly ass grey New Line or Lady Smith models with the straight angled dust cover!:puke:

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    While I had the safe open, I thought this thread also needs some 3rd Gen goodness too...
    From top to bottom:
    Model 422 (I picked up a few years ago at Midwest in Mishawaka)
    Model 2214 (From my wife's cousin's estate)
    Model 4506-1 (Bought new in 1990 at a shop in Elkhart, still have the box)
    Model 5903 (Non-police issue bought new at a gunshow at Century Center in SB, still have the original box)
    The last two pistols have been solid performers with no issues whatsoever.
    When you find trustworthy pistols, you keep them.
    View attachment 31637

Last edited:
    Top Bottom