• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Looking to pick up a "pocket" 9mm. Right now I am looking at a few options. First up is the Springfield XDs 9mm. Second is the Sig P938 Extreme. And third option is a Springfield EMP 9mm. Granted, these are not in the same class of guns. I understand that and the price difference. I am just looking for reliability and accuracy. The curve ball in the equation is that I am 6'4" tall, so I have larger hands. I have an XDm 9mm Compact and an XDm .45 Compact that fit fine using the compact magazines as long as I use the Pearce Grip Extensions. Of course my I have a Springfield 1911 Loaded that fits great, shoots great and I absolutely love. But I also have a Ruger SR22 pistol that I can shoot just fine. Obviously I do like Springfield. But I am not necessarily tied to a specific brand. I have heard pros and cons on each of these. And I know the EMP had some initial hiccups. And I have also heard the Sig has had feed issues and is picky on ammo. Just curious about some input form others on these or maybe something else to consider?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Best thing you can do is find a range that rents these and shoot them. That way you can get a real feel on how they run. Just because it feels good in your hand, does not mean it will shoot good in your hand.

Personally, I think the XDs might have an advantage with the ability of the extended mag with the sleeve on it. You can train more with the full size grip to get accustom to the trigger, point of aim etc. Granted you still need to train with it the way you intend to carry but the longer grip makes a range trip not as harsh with a tiny pocket 9.

Just my :twocents:

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    One thing I forgot to mention on my XDm's... I found the factory triggers to be...well.....lousy. The pull length and reset were too long. And the weight was a bit on the heavy side for my tastes. I ended up swapping them both out with PRP Drop-in Trigger Kits. That made a huge difference with both of them. Unfortunately the XDs does not have such an option...at least not yet. I did talk to the folks at PRP and they did admit that they are in preliminary development and testing for a possible XDs Trigger Kit. But at this point they stressed that it is purely preliminary and they cannot commit if it will actually make it to market.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Its not on your list, but I recently picked up a S&W Shield. I've got pretty big hands and it fits me well. I had a Kel Tec P-11 and PF-9 in the past. The P-11 was OK, the PF-9 was too small for me, I had to readjust my grip pretty much every shot. Annoying on the range, unacceptable for defensive uses.

[video=youtube;W5Pv-NNcATs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Pv-NNcATs&list=UUlp8WmKL0enZ4Y8PCdws95A[/video]

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    One thing I forgot to mention on my XDm's... I found the factory triggers to be...well.....lousy. The pull length and reset were too long. And the weight was a bit on the heavy side for my tastes. I ended up swapping them both out with PRP Drop-in Trigger Kits. That made a huge difference with both of them. Unfortunately the XDs does not have such an option...at least not yet. I did talk to the folks at PRP and they did admit that they are in preliminary development and testing for a possible XDs Trigger Kit. But at this point they stressed that it is purely preliminary and they cannot commit if it will actually make it to market.

IIRC, the XDs is reportedly to have a better trigger than the XDm.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Its not on your list, but I recently picked up a S&W Shield. I've got pretty big hands and it fits me well. I had a Kel Tec P-11 and PF-9 in the past. The P-11 was OK, the PF-9 was too small for me, I had to readjust my grip pretty much every shot. Annoying on the range, unacceptable for defensive uses.

I have thought about the M&P Shield. But that is about as far as it gets. I just can't seem to find one to actually see how it looks and feels. Of course I also had high hopes for the Remington R51. But that was shot down the second I picked one up at the NRA Show in Indy. And now Remington has pulled and offered a buyback on all of them. Then came the Walther CCP. I had high hopes for this one too. But it seems to be MIA. Both the R51 and CCP are based on a blow-back design. With the Remington "recall" and the Walther MIA, I can;t help but question the reliability of these. Definitely hesitant to have one as a carry gun.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have thought about the M&P Shield. But that is about as far as it gets. I just can't seem to find one to actually see how it looks and feels. Of course I also had high hopes for the Remington R51. But that was shot down the second I picked one up at the NRA Show in Indy. And now Remington has pulled and offered a buyback on all of them. Then came the Walther CCP. I had high hopes for this one too. But it seems to be MIA. Both the R51 and CCP are based on a blow-back design. With the Remington "recall" and the Walther MIA, I can;t help but question the reliability of these. Definitely hesitant to have one as a carry gun.

Where are you located? If you're in the Indianapolis area, I could meet you at BGF sometime and let you shoot my Shield.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sig P250 is not too bad. Some people may not like the trigger but that's a matter of opinion (like poly vs metal or 1911 vs non-1911).

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    The shield is about 2 ounces lighter, and 1/4 inch thinner then the M&P compact.

It's actually taller then the compact, and the same length.

So, while some say it's pocket-able. I wouldn't consider it so.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife has an XDs 45 that somehow ended up in my carry rotation;) Being the same size as the XDs 9, in my opinion, they are a little on the big side for a true "pocket" gun. The Sig and EMP you mentioned are SA, I assume you would want to carry cocked and locked. That is just a little too close to the goods for my comfort and a light trigger.

Slightly smaller than the XDs pistols, Kahr makes a great line of pocket 9s. My wife actually stole my MK9 from me because she likes is so well (despite the little extra weight of the steel frame).

IF you are set on one of the 3 mentioned, I would really struggle between the Sig and the EMP. The XDs is a great pistol, but the other 2 feel like they were made for my hand, despite the fact that my hands are on the large size. The only plus I could give one over the other, the Sig seems to be more common, and thus easier to find. If you know where to get one, the EMP would be a bonus as something a little different.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had a Ruger LCP, little .380 was a handful
    replaced it with a Ruger LC9, good size, easier to shoot then the LCP.
    I sold it once I got a chance to check out a 9mm Shield.
    Feels better in the hand, better sights, better trigger

with the 7 round mag in fits in a pocket, but I prefer to carry IWB with it

The Shield IMO felt better in the hand than the Sig 938, the safety was hard to hit on the 938, but was more natural to disengage on the Shield, and it is much less expensive

The trigger on the Shield is better than the Kahr's trigger

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I had the opportunity to make a holster the EMP 40. The holster was for a friend, so he told me to carry it for a week and shoot it.
    It might be the best shooting pistol I have ever shot. I shoot it better than any full size 1911 I have shot. I put a hundred rounds of FMJ through it without any issues. I can't vouch for the reliability of it other than that.
    It is heavy for a IWB pistol, but it was not uncomfortable. You will want to have a stiff belt to carry one. I'm 6' 3" 210lbs, and it does print when I'm sitting or bent over. But is not noticeable when standing. I just can't see myself carrying one because I would not want it thrown in an evidence locker if I had to use it.
    The EMP 9 is on my short list of guns I have to have!
    springfieldEMPIWB_zpsd387e345.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a Shield in 9 and I have a pocket holster and can put it in my pocket... I did it a couple of times and then was done with that idea. It fills the pocket completely and it is obvious you have some big item in your pocket as it bulges out. It is also very hot after awhile against your leg.

qwerty99

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    North Central Indian
    I have been asking this same question for some time now, and have not been very impressed with the various LC9's and variants. They are concealable but that is about all they have going for them. CUrrently I'm considering the xds versus shield, but need a little experience with each of them.

qwerty99

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    North Central Indian
    One last thought on xds versus shield. From what I have read, the two are very comparable, with triggers being similar and just coming down to being a preference thing (I'll redo the trigger when I get it regardless). So, the only substantial difference (other than country of origin: Croatia versus USA) is palm grip safety versus thumb safety, respectively.

Top Bottom