• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    Currently I have only shot the sig p250 at the range but before I make my decision on what gun I would like to get, I need to shoot some more. I am currently looking at a glock 17/34, S&M M&P Pro or a Springfield xdm/xds. Im really just looking to have some fun with it at the range and use it for personal protection at the home but if I became proficient enough with it, a little bit of competition would be welcomed as well but that is down the line. Are there any others I should be looking at? I have a budget of around 700-800 but would preferably like it to be lower.

Thanks for your help!

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Look into other Sigs as well. And don't count out a good 1911. Best thing to do is borrow guns from freinds to try or rent from LGS. Most important part of finding the right gun is how it feels in your hand, just my :twocents:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    All 3 of those are good choices, but I would throw in a 4th that shouldn't be left out and that's the Walther PPQ.
    With in your budget and has the best trigger of all 3. Super accurate right out of the box too.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Eight hundred is sufficient for a good 1911. It won't be Les Baer, but you're well into good-quality range for 1911s at that price point. Glock 17 is a good starter, but if you ever want to expand into carrying, it's a bit bulky for concealment - still possible, but not quite as comfortable as a G19/26. Best advice is to try out a lot and see what you like most.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Head to a range that has a good assortment of what you are interested in and shoot them back to back. I was in the same boat a few years ago and rented the M&P, G17 and the XDm. I was set to buy the Smith but ended up with the XDm 5.25 competition model. I shot my first steel plate match with it and won.

All are great guns but buy the one you SHOOT the best.

:welcome: to :ingo:

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I don't think you could go wrong with any of the guns mentioned all are very nice! And these guys will steer you in the right direction. But as stated try shooting before buying if possible.:welcome:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    All 3 of those are good choices, but I would throw in a 4th that shouldn't be left out and that's the Walther PPQ.
    With in your budget and has the best trigger of all 3. Super accurate right out of the box too.

I second this, the PPQ is a great gun!

Find some INGOers in your area, and meet.
    Lots of us will let you try out different guns.

If you live in the Indianapolis area, or nearby, I'd be happy to meet you at BGF and let you shoot my guns. I have a Shield, G19, G34 and 5" PPQ. All are 9mm. Bring some ammo and pay for your lane and you can try any or all of these guns out. Just PM me if you're interested.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was going to offer just what WTburnette did, hard deal to pass up if you are close.. Get your hands on as many as possible before spending your $$$. My choice would be the 17 or the S&W pro but I've found that MY personal preference is the 4 1/4" pistols rather than the 5".

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Everyone has their preference. Shoot as many different guns as you can. What someone else likes is of no consequence. It is what you feel comfortable with and shoot best.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Definitely try guns with different actions. You've mentioned some quality guns but all are striker fired. Make sure you try a hammer fired DA/SA also. Beretta 92 or P226 should be easy to find as a loaner

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    All mentioned are good choices as are many others. As stated previously try as many as possible. Don't be surprised after purchasing one if you find yourself desiring another...and another...
    If near Warsaw area can offer to meet and furnish several for you to try.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Currently I have only shot the sig p250 at the range but before I make my decision on what gun I would like to get, I need to shoot some more. I am currently looking at a glock 17/34, S&M M&P Pro or a Springfield xdm/xds. Im really just looking to have some fun with it at the range and use it for personal protection at the home but if I became proficient enough with it, a little bit of competition would be welcomed as well but that is down the line. Are there any others I should be looking at? I have a budget of around 700-800 but would preferably like it to be lower.

Thanks for your help!

If you liked the feel of the p250 but prefer striker fired check out the P320. Nice trigger plus you get the modularity of that model.

Why the M&P pro specifically? It doesn't really matter but I'm nosy.

Glock 17/34: it's Glock, it will work. It won't look pretty doing it but it will work for whatever you need it to do.

XDM/XDS: can't say anything against them. Try them out for yourself and see what you think. They will serve you well should you buy one.

Walther PPQ is another highly suggested option (if you can find one): Hold it, shoot it, test the trigger, and see what you think of the mag release depending on which version you get. A lot of people like them.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    I've thought about the VP9 a bit. I've shot an XDM 9 3.8 and liked it, as well as a Glock *cough*something-or-other*cough* and liked it fairly well. I actually shot better with the Glock, but it was the second outing I had with handguns so that may be the difference.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I second this, the PPQ is a great gun!

If you live in the Indianapolis area, or nearby, I'd be happy to meet you at BGF and let you shoot my guns. I have a Shield, G19, G34 and 5" PPQ. All are 9mm. Bring some ammo and pay for your lane and you can try any or all of these guns out. Just PM me if you're interested.

Also in the Indy area, member at MCFG (near Speedway), willing to bring the M&P flavor to the sample line. Currently sporting two M&P 9s, a full size and compact, as well as an M&P 45 compact. Always willing to make new personal acquaintances with fellow trigger pullers (newb and veteran alike). PM if interested as well.

(I wouldn't mind trying out your Shield as well, wtb)

Make the first, a simple operator, literally a point and shoot.

^^THIS^^ :oldwise:

Last edited:

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    Glock or 1911, shoot it to death then get ebay replace the barrel cheap and shoot again. When I was young I was a hardcore revolver and oddball gun guy, but as I get older tend to only buy guns that have alot of parts available. Glocks, 1911, AR15s, Rem 700, Mossberg 500.

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    I've got a Shield 9mm, Sig P226 Extreme, Glock 19 (gen 3), HK VP9 (brother's), and I just ordered an XDs 4.0 9mm and a Walther PPQ M1 that should be arriving this week. PM me if you wanna try any of those out. I also have a ton of free passes to Eagle Creek range so all you would need is to bring ammo (or I could sell ya some).

I've been trying to narrow down my first 1911 purchase so I know where you're at, just need to shoot more!

Top Bottom