• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I need to find some good commerical 5.7x28mm ammo for testing in ballistics gel. I've been trying to find some Elite Ammo loads but they're perpetually out of stock. Is there anyone else that makes a good defensive load that's actually for sale somewhere?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I need to find some good commerical 5.7x28mm ammo for testing in ballistics gel. I've been trying to find some Elite Ammo loads but they're perpetually out of stock. Is there anyone else that makes a good defensive load that's actually for sale somewhere?

Believe it or not, this was just posted by Midwest yesterday. I'd have to think the HP would be good?

Midwest Gun Exchange Weekly Email Specials

EDIT. Just found this. Not too shabby...

http://youtu.be/N8zlPlolpG4

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      127 KB · Views: 23
    Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    5.7x28mm hollow points are non-expanding. They're aluminium cored.

The load shown in your image is SS198 which is generally only available to police/military. It's a 27gr aluminium cored hollow point that moves around 2200fps from the five seven handgun. It's just a hotter load of the SS195. The SS195 generally clocks around 1900fps.

The SS198 would indeed be the best commercial load for the five seven, but obtaining it is generally very hard. The SS197SR is pretty lack luster, and the SS195 is extremely under powered.

For an honest test, I'd recommend you avoid elite ammunition of any of these 3rd party manufacturers because that's unfair to the platform. Test it with what's commonly available, SS197 and SS195. Anything else would be slightly misleading.

I really wish SS198 was more commonly available, because the five seven would become my daily carry if it was.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks, Tombs.

I will of course test the commercial ammo that's available but I also what to show what's available for the defensive market. If I don't, I will get pounced by the 5.7 crowd as having not tested purpose built defensive loads and they'll say no one in their right mind would carry the commercial stuff for personal defense. I know this because of previous conversations on other boards.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I guess I'm confused. If they're advertising it in generally released ads, couldn't you purchase as many boxes as you could get your hands on and the problem would be solved?

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    5.7x28mm hollow points are non-expanding. They're aluminium cored.

The load shown in your image is SS198 which is generally only available to police/military. It's a 27gr aluminium cored hollow point that moves around 2200fps from the five seven handgun. It's just a hotter load of the SS195. The SS195 generally clocks around 1900fps.

The SS198 would indeed be the best commercial load for the five seven, but obtaining it is generally very hard. The SS197SR is pretty lack luster, and the SS195 is extremely under powered.

For an honest test, I'd recommend you avoid elite ammunition of any of these 3rd party manufacturers because that's unfair to the platform. Test it with what's commonly available, SS197 and SS195. Anything else would be slightly misleading.

I really wish SS198 was more commonly available, because the five seven would become my daily carry if it was.

MAC and Tombs, we have a large quantity of LE/MIL SS198LF available for sale to the public right now. And I will gladly be able to set some aside for you today for you to pick up at a later time.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    MAC and Tombs, we have a large quantity of LE/MIL SS198LF available for sale to the public right now. And I will gladly be able to set some aside for you today for you to pick up at a later time.

I would be grateful to get my hands on a couple of boxes for ballistics gel testing and penetration testing (for video). What's the best way to get you payment? Thanks a bunch.

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    Usually over the phone. The store I work at opens at 10 AM Eastern, I don't work today but I'll pop in at opening and throw a couple boxes on a layaway ticket for you.

Store's number is 574-257-0020 (option 3), call and ask for Stephen.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The SS198 would indeed be the best commercial load for the five seven, but obtaining it is generally very hard.

The SS198 restriction is per FN, not a legal restriction. Most gun stores that carry it will sell it to any citizen. Last time I saw it the price was around $40 per box of 50. I thought that was high at the time.

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    Hey MAC,

Sorry if you may have felt kind of rushed today. We were pretty busy with the ND game and all. I think I was bouncing between multiple customers for most of the day. Anyways I'm glad I was able to help you out.

I'm interested in seeing how your test turns out.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Hey MAC,

Sorry if you may have felt kind of rushed today. We were pretty busy with the ND game and all. I think I was bouncing between multiple customers for most of the day. Anyways I'm glad I was able to help you out.

I'm interested in seeing how your test turns out.

I hope to shoot the video in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the help. Chances are, I'll want to buy another 3-4 boxes of the stuff to just to keep around for future videos.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury

put your name on their mailing list like everyone else. They will tell you ahead of time when a batch of ammo will post to their website. You will have about 1 hour from that date and time to add your ammo to the shoping cart and checkout.

People don't understand how popular the FiveSeven is. Every year they sell more than the year before. All of the boutique manufacturors are perpetually behind the demand curve, and the major market manufacturors struggled to keep up with demand BEFORE Obama.

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    put your name on their mailing list like everyone else. They will tell you ahead of time when a batch of ammo will post to their website. You will have about 1 hour from that date and time to add your ammo to the shoping cart and checkout.

People don't understand how popular the FiveSeven is. Every year they sell more than the year before. All of the boutique manufacturors are perpetually behind the demand curve, and the major market manufacturors struggled to keep up with demand BEFORE Obama.

Got your PM, I can't reply back. (haven't hit 50 posts yet).

We're at 3415 Grape Road in Mishawaka 46545

We still have a several cases.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The SS198 restriction is per FN, not a legal restriction. Most gun stores that carry it will sell it to any citizen. Last time I saw it the price was around $40 per box of 50. I thought that was high at the time.

SS190 is handled about the same but much more restricted. Anyone can own it, but getting a box is a headache. SS198 doesn't require the department to order it like SS190 does, at least as far as I understand.

As for the offer to sale me some, I certainly appreciate it, but I'm low on funds as I'm a bus driver and I'm recovering from the summer. After I have some money coming in I'll look you up, as I love carrying that firearm during the summer.

Thanks, Tombs.

I will of course test the commercial ammo that's available but I also what to show what's available for the defensive market. If I don't, I will get pounced by the 5.7 crowd as having not tested purpose built defensive loads and they'll say no one in their right mind would carry the commercial stuff for personal defense. I know this because of previous conversations on other boards.

As for obtaining elite ammunition for the testing, unless you can find people with a box to donate to you, I doubt you'll be able to get it. Their website makes it very clear that no one is getting anything from them unless they happen into getting components they haven't been able to get for a very long time.

So I'm not really sure that counts as "available" on the defensive market.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom