• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the 44 mag. I have 2 Revolvers and 2 lever-action rifles. These short barrel revolvers look really cool! But I'm thinking they must be a handful. Those of you that have shot one, give your opinion. Do you like them?

pix935819016.jpg

Sweet! and Salty! He wants over $900!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do not have one but have shot them many times. They are a hand full but if they fit your hand well it is nothing bad.

Shoot one with full power loads at dark. The hands are ok but the eyes take a beating from the flash.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    They can be a handful but with practice they won't be too bad. You may want to change grips if the ones you have don't fit your hand well and I would start with 44 special loads to give you an indication of what's to come.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Flash is worse, but recoil is no worse than the 4", IMO.

Rapid firing a few speedloaders in rapid succession tends to tingle the hand, but it's minor.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have a Super Redhawk Alaskan (2.5in) , the muzzleblast is as big as my head. I really like the "Tamer" grips that came stock on this revolver (2012 model) the soft grips really deaden the recoil.

I keep 225grn Barnes XPB's loaded to 1200fps, recovered bullets expanded to over 3/4 of an inch, recoil was surprisingly controllable.
    Now, hot hunting loads stung my hand pretty good, but then I would only use those for defense against HUGE four legged beasts, nothing I'm going to encounter in Indiana.
    The big Ruger is a popular range gun, gets alot of attention when I take it out of the range bag, it is literally a blast!!

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    IMG_2332.jpg

its great. These grips were better but I wound up putting Pacmeyer combat grips on it. X frame grips fit it also but are larger.
    Gold dot has 200 grain 44 magnum short barrel loads that I carry. Flash is not bad and they are very accurate.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    I have one, S&W 629PC, I like it a lot, but it is a handful to shoot. It will beat you up a bit. Most of the time I shoot .44 special in it. It's a lot of fun to shoot...

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    This may sound stupid but I owned one of those and thought it would be alot of fun to shoot. But it wasn't enough. so I sold it and bought a 4" 500 magnum.
    That really did it for me, I love shooting that.
    44 just wasnt quite enough

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    This may sound stupid but I owned one of those and thought it would be alot of fun to shoot. But it wasn't enough. so I sold it and bought a 4" 500 magnum.
    That really did it for me, I love shooting that.
    44 just wasnt quite enough

I have a few 44 mag Dirty Harry fan specials I have picked up over the years. Most people shot 6 shots out of them and placed them in the safe. To much for them. They wanted "the biggest pistol" many never shot a 38 special enough to handle a 44 mag.

I would be be all over the short barreled 44 mag. I love the short barreled pistols but I like 3 inch over less. With my eyes going I find open sights easier to align over the longer barrels. My longer ones now have scopes if I use them much. Heck they are big enough what is a scope on top of that.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    This is kinda what I would expect!
    I once had a range officer stop the firing line and come over to ask me if everything was alright. It was a dark day and I'd inadvertently mixed a high-power hunting load into a box of target loads. The pistol was compensated, so it shot flame six feet forward and three feet up. :D

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I want one.

Shot a cylinder out of one once, I believe it was a Ruger (was a long time ago, in my transition period from anti-gun Chicago resident) and thought it to be an excessive fireworks display

I still want one, but I don't think I'd go for anything less than 4".... Just too much wasted powder on the fireworks display.

But, it's not a gun I'd be buying for any practical purpose since I'm not a hunter, so if a 2-3" was offered at a steal, I'm on it for range fireworks.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44mag and it was a blast. It was always an attentiion getter at the range. I really regret seling it but needed the money.

pike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    sounthern
    I don't like the recoil from a snub 357 let alone a 44 mag. Ouch! Now 44 specials would be a different story they would be quite comfortable I would think. I have a 44 special Charter Arms bulldog and the recoil from that is not bad at all and it would weigh less that the 44 mags you are looking at.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the TALO Ruger Redhawk looks neat:

DSC01937.jpg

However, other than "cool factor" I can't think of a reason to own one over a 4"+ barrel and take advantage of more of that case capacity for driving the bullet instead of lighting up the room.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    This may sound stupid but I owned one of those and thought it would be alot of fun to shoot. But it wasn't enough. so I sold it and bought a 4" 500 magnum. 44 just wasnt quite enough

Sounds like me... Years ago I shot my buddies .357. Ah nothing. Bought a .44 ... ah its ok. Wanted to buy a Dan Wesson .445. Just couldn't find one for what I would call a decent price. Never tried the .500. My Dan Wesson .44 is very accurate. Would rather go with the accuracy of a longer barrel.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I have the Talo 3 incher and shoot it a lot with 44 specials, I find it a very useful carry gun on my rotation.

Top Bottom