• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I bought this gun ~1 1/2 years ago. I have gone to the range with it and tried firing it with a variety of ammunition (Winchester, Remington, PMC), all 124 grain bullets. It misfired ~ half the time. I was not happy. I took it to the range to day to try to document conditions, and take pictures to send to Ruger so they could do something with it.
    So, today, I tried firing it with relatively cheap (I guess) Georgia Arms ammo, 147 grain bullets. Not one misfire. I have never tried the larger bullets before.
    Could it be that it is perfectly happy with any ammo as long as it is 147 grain (something bigger than 124 grain)? Any similar encounters?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ruger has had some QC issues with some of the P95's the last few years. Especially when they made the last several during which time they had an end in the production coming where they were going to stop offering them in their product line.

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Got a P-95 used a year ago and it is super reliable. The only problems I had was when I was working up a new 9mm load and it wouldn't cycle because of low power. Once I got my power factor where it should be no more problems. Jim.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I bought this gun ~1 1/2 years ago. I have gone to the range with it and tried firing it with a variety of ammunition (Winchester, Remington, PMC), all 124 grain bullets. It misfired ~ half the time. I was not happy. I took it to the range to day to try to document conditions, and take pictures to send to Ruger so they could do something with it.
    So, today, I tried firing it with relatively cheap (I guess) Georgia Arms ammo, 147 grain bullets. Not one misfire. I have never tried the larger bullets before.
    Could it be that it is perfectly happy with any ammo as long as it is 147 grain (something bigger than 124 grain)? Any similar encounters?
    Try oiling all the parts. I put snake oil on mine and it's been flawless ever since.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have an old P95 and it has been 100% reliable with everything I have shot through it, cheapest through high dollar stuff and not one single problem.

That said, there are some firearms that are ammo sensitive. I have to think that in the build if the tolerances allowed stack up in just the right way, it becomes ammo sensitive, but 9mm firearms usually aren't unless specifically designed for a certain type of ammo, like the Kahr PM9 is designed for heavy loads and +P, so light stuff might not always cycle it, but the Ruger P95 usually doesn't care, so it is possible you have a tolerance issue and over time it might go away, or you will have to find the ammo that it works well with and stick to that.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    rugged

actually loved mine, it never misfired, I bought a grip sleeve and wish I would have kept it. very good shot anything I put in it.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Calling the OP, calling the OP... you might get some useful info from folks, if you could tell us what is actually happening in more detail.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have an old P95 and it has been 100% reliable with everything I have shot through it, cheapest through high dollar stuff and not one single problem.

That said, there are some firearms that are ammo sensitive. I have to think that in the build if the tolerances allowed stack up in just the right way, it becomes ammo sensitive, but 9mm firearms usually aren't unless specifically designed for a certain type of ammo, like the Kahr PM9 is designed for heavy loads and +P, so light stuff might not always cycle it, but the Ruger P95 usually doesn't care, so it is possible you have a tolerance issue and over time it might go away, or you will have to find the ammo that it works well with and stick to that.

There was some issues with late model P95's. Some of the slides weight varied from pistol to pistol which cased cycling issues with 115 and some 124 gr ammunition let alone any of the lighter weight environmental friendly ammo.. This was within the last couple years of production before they dropped the P95 from production. And I know because I had a whole armory full to compare.

Top Bottom