• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I often see a lot of negativity regarding the Ruger P series that were around for many years. I know they are certainly not the lightest to carry or as cool as the black ones and maybe they don't have bullseye accuracy. But I have a P89 in 9mm I bought many years ago. I have ran just about every 9mm ammo known through it and it has never failed to feed or fire one single time. Several years back I used it to go through all the different levels of the NRA handgun course ending with me earning the Distinguished Expert level and if I was in a firefight in my living room I'd want my P89 in hand.
    So what gives? why all the haters and naysayers?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    It boils down to looks. Over time, most of the P series haters referred to them as butt ugly, but few if any could provide credible fault with their function and accuracy. Rugers, you either love them or hate them, I personally own a P345 along with several others, the number of which I will not admit to on a forum where my wife is a member.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As far as 1990s era P's, they were awesome.

My first handgun was a Stainless P91DC. I could drive tacks with that beast. I sold it earlier this year to make room in the safe. Still kinda regret it.

I still have my late father's P89 that he used as a service pistol while he was a special deputy. It goes nowhere but into my kids hands when I am gone.

Both are/were awesome pistols. Not so sure about the newer P series guns. What I DO know is when they completely abandoned the look of 1911/CZ designs in favor of something my kid would sculpt from PlayDoh they lost me.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    They work, they always work.

But then again, many have had stellar reliability with their hi points too.

I would buy one at a steal in a heartbeat (Ruger, not Hi Point) and shoot it.

It's the budget gun and ugly gun crossing paths that leads to the negative reviews. But I doubt you'll find someone that's actually shot one who will say it's an unreliable pos. Just ugly/heavy/not as accurate as something that costs 2x as much.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't think you've seen much negativity on INGO for the P-series. They are very good budget pistols. I'll recommend the SR series over the P series for those who can afford the upgrade, but those using the P series should be able to rely on them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've had a Stainless P90DC .45 for years. Bought it as a BYOG deployment weapon. I think people talked bad about them because they bought a much more expensive weapon and needed to talk bad about yours because they couldn't outshoot you.

I have never had a problem with mine. It's built strong and eats +P ammo like it was made to...which it was.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have had a P345 for about 3 years and a P95 for about a year and both are awesome. Function every time and at least as accurate as I am, what is not to like. Jim.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The original P85 was highly hyped and a lot of people were looking forward to it. Then it was delayed until 1987. When it was finally released it was recalled due to a safety issue (there was one AD). Ruger repaired the recalled handguns free of charge. The P85 MKII was released with the new safety feature. The delays and recall after such great anticipation left many people with negative feelings. By the time the P89 and P89D/C came out it was a good, dependable handgun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought one of the first P-85 models that hit the shelf. Kept it at least 10 years.

I never sent it in for the recall. It ALWAYS ran. It ate any ammo. Not much you could do to trick out the trigger, which felt like a revolver trigger. Not much you could do about the grips, but it was not like the factory grips had anything wrong with them. The sights were middle of the road, but nothing was wrong with them. Accuracy was pretty good. Nothing tricky about shooting it, it ran fine even for a limp wristed new shooter. I guess there was no "WOW" factor.

It was like owning a MR. Coffee. You bought it and used it. Reliable but you hardly notice it when you turn it on in the morning. You never were in a big hurry to brag you had it, you never showed it off. Your friends never went ohh and awe when they saw it. They just run and run and run. If you left it dirty or kept it clean it did not really matter. I bought a P-90 that was the same story.

They were so good and such a good value, they were boring. I wish I still had it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The original P85 was highly hyped and a lot of people were looking forward to it. Then it was delayed until 1987. When it was finally released it was recalled due to a safety issue (there was one AD). Ruger repaired the recalled handguns free of charge. The P85 MKII was released with the new safety feature. The delays and recall after such great anticipation left many people with negative feelings. By the time the P89 and P89D/C came out it was a good, dependable handgun.

You are right that this was over a single AD. There was one gun returned with a broken firing pin that resulted in an accidental discharge. That is a pretty obscure problem, but it was good that Ruger ran the recall to provide additional safety for all owners. Here is the recall notice.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I use a P95 as my EDC. Heavy? Sure. Is it thick? Yup. But I'm a big guy and the weight and size are a non-issue for me. Only one time it didn't go bang so I pulled the trigger again on the same round. It went that time. So I'll chalk that up to the reloaded round.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have a P90, P95 and a P345 and they spend much time at the range. I often can be found carrying the P345 as well. The only negative I can say is the P90 & P85 are a bit heavy to consider for carry but I did carry the P85 for a few years before Ruger made something without an all steel frame.

The early one had nothing wrong with them either, I still own the early ones. They work great and like all Rugers, you can be sure you will be able to give them to your great grand kids and they will still work. Ruger in general gets the rap that they are the "Poor Man" or "Working Man" gun since they tend to be low price. I like that though I don't know about you. I still look for P series Ruges to buy to this day and would love to find one of the older P series 40 S&W's but so far it eludes me. I have to say I wouldn't pass a Ruger P series ad without looking to see if it is one I want. There are several I am still wanting besides a 40.

RUGER ROCKS! :rockwoot: They always will and I cold care less what the S&W and Colt lovers. They still make the best revolvers too... :)

Top Bottom