• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I found a ruger security six on armslist for $450 that I may be able to get for 400 or 425. It has a four inch barrel and is stainless steel. What do you guys think? I'm looking for a compact to full size .357 that to carry for a decent price. American made, name brand, etc. I'm a revolver guy and set on a .357. Thoughts?

Bob K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2014
    nwi
    I had the exact same gun a while back. Well made and a good shooter. I felt it was a little too big and heavy for concealed carry at the time and sold it off. Think I sold it for $300 around 10-15 years ago.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The Security Sixes are extremely rugged and bombproof, in this market and collectors of Security Sixes, it's a good price and will hold its value.

But, to carry.......the Security Sixes use a larger grip frame that's extremely close to the Redhawks, they have large grips (and I've never found shooting full bore .357s in them comfortable either). Depending on how you want to carry and your frame, you may have trouble completely concealing the grip (if you care).

And as said above, they are a little heavy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have one:

SecuritySix2_zps63f8d617.jpg

The good is they are accurate (I can ring a steel torso at 100y with mine), durable, and hold their value. The downside is extremely limited sight options, grip options, and somewhat reduced holster options, when compared with current production Rugers.

When compared to the GP100, they are less expensive, slightly narrower, and IMO they don't have as good of a double action trigger.

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    I own a security six in four inch, blued finish. Ive had it for 20 plus years. It a very nice gun. It is, as mentioned, a little big to conceal easily. I looked into buying another one some years back and they were around $250-$300 so id say your good at $425.00. If you dont like it you could always get your money back out of it. But I bet you like it.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hmm well I'd like to be able to carry one to have as a bigger primary so my s&w 642 could be my BUG. Not for everyday, but as an option for sure. The heaviest load I think I'd shoot out of it is the 125 gr FBI carry loads you can still buy. Although it's built like a tank, I still don't want to put a lot of stress on it just because I can.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Have had mine for 25 years, eats everything I feed it, it goes into the woods with me every November, and I carry it a lot. It is very accurate and solid. I can strip it down to its smallest part in minutes, and I have even taken several deer with it. It is my go to gun.
    a023.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Picked up a Service Six last year for the wife, she loves hers for target, and carry. The original grips that come on them are not too bulky, and the aftermarket grips that she has fro hers are kinda bulky(but make the world of difference shooting full power loads). Hers is the 2 3/4" variety, and is probably about as heavy as my S&W 66-2 with a 4" barrel.

They are tanks, hard to beat, and you wont find a more sturdy gun for the money.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    They are a little big to conceal but it can be done with a light jacket. They are a great firearm. Built to last, accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. With the Pachmayr grips installed the .357 loads are comfortable to shoot. I would consider $400 - $450 a good price.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Have had mine for 25 years, eats everything I feed it, it goes into the woods with me every November, and I carry it a lot. It is very accurate and solid. I can strip it down to its smallest part in minutes, and I have even taken several deer with it. It is my go to gun.
    a023.jpg
    What type of loads did you use on deer with it? I'm now intrigued because that's another use I'd like to have with it. I'd love the challenge.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Got my first one in high school before the GP switchover and that was . . . a couple of years ago.:D Picked up several more over the years.

If it is in good shape, any more, four bills is not that bad.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have one in the snubby version. It fits in the same leather holsters as my wife's S&W Model 19 snubby. I would think the 4 inch would also fit in an leather holster for the S&W K Frame. The K frame speed loaders work also.

I love the gun.

Top Bottom