• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    How do they do it? They are having a ridiculous sale on handguns until September 11th. I don't know how they make any money with their prices being so low. There really is little redemptive purpose to looking at used firearms when they can greatly undercut them on new. I know I sound really lame like a second rate late night used car lot commercial but I have to say.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    The backroom in Mishawaka is most impressive when inventory levels are up.
    At one time, Midwest was a distribution hub for this area for a number of manufacturers.
    Not sure if that is true or not anymore.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Maybe their prices are what they are supposed to be, and everyone else is really shafting us.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    The backroom in Mishawaka is most impressive when inventory levels are up.
    At one time, Midwest was a distribution hub for this area for a number of manufacturers.
    Not sure if that is true or not anymore.

It could have changed but the last I knew they were still a distributor. I have bought a number of items from them and have a good relationship with a couple salesmen. Between them and ZX , hard for any other LGS to beat their prices and inventory...at least in this area. I have inquired at both places a couple times when I was getting a price quote and told price they had quoted me reflected $25-30 profit...we make our money on the other stuff. Maybe true...maybe not. I always ask if they can do better than the sticker price and normally get it lowered. They usually look me up on the computer so don't know if previous amount of business done reflects in the bottom line price given or not.

mhinkle2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Indiana
    I think some guys buy a truck load of one gun that is high in demand. They can make a few bucks on each gun but sell so many that is worth the time.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I used to like Midwest until one of their guys got ****ty with me at this years Indy 500. I politely asked if they would be willing to negotiate on their LCP pricing. ZX had them $20-30 cheaper and I hadn't given them (Midwest) business for a while. Their vendor copped a quick attitude with me and told me they can't lower any prices, period. My father and I have given them plenty of business in the past so I know that isn't the case.

I work in Sales so I understand if they can't budge on pricing...but they lost my business to ZX because they treated me pretty poorly.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Likely that the 500 is not the place to negotiate prices with them because there are always another 100 guys behind you that will pay what they are asking. If you are a frequent buyer anywhere I imagine they will accommodate you in store where they may know you. That is coming from business standpoint. It would not work out good for them for dozen guys standing all around you to get same price never having stood in front of their register.

mikemcbride

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    I've got a love hate relationship with midwest most guys are pretty nice and helpful some are just well lets say not nice lol. From my experiences there their normal prices tend to be on the high end but their sales tend to be fantastic.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I used to like Midwest until one of their guys got ****ty with me at this years Indy 500. I politely asked if they would be willing to negotiate on their LCP pricing. ZX had them $20-30 cheaper and I hadn't given them (Midwest) business for a while. Their vendor copped a quick attitude with me and told me they can't lower any prices, period. My father and I have given them plenty of business in the past so I know that isn't the case.

I work in Sales so I understand if they can't budge on pricing...but they lost my business to ZX because they treated me pretty poorly.

I was neutral about them. I stopped in there once about 15 or more years ago. Sure I am not the sharpest dresser, but they would not even talk to me. They would glance and keep talking to each other. Was wanting to buy a $1000 firearm. I talked to the owner a few years ago. He was really great and since bought a pistol from him. I told him from that time I did not even want to go back. He told me they hired some cops to work there as a second job. Sounds like they didn't work out to well. Still have a strange feeling about going back. Since then I found a great dealer and buy from/through him.

I guess I am one of the strange ones, if you treat me bad, I don't care what the prices are I will stay away from you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got to meet Hoosierdood (Ryan) today. Seems like a really good guy.
    bought a new pistol from Tim, who I usually deal with.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Midwest is still a distributor. They sell a lot of guns on the sales floor, but they sell at least four times more in the back through distribution. They will also give a discount off holsters, mags and etc. They will not give discounts on ammo though. Ask for Ryan when you go. He is an INGO member (Hoosierdood)

They have a couple other INGO guys in there but not sure what they go by. One guy said he would rather not give it out. That's cool, I'd would rather buy from Ryan who is a stand up guy and takes care of INGO members.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I was neutral about them. I stopped in there once about 15 or more years ago. Sure I am not the sharpest dresser, but they would not even talk to me. They would glance and keep talking to each other. Was wanting to buy a $1000 firearm. I talked to the owner a few years ago. He was really great and since bought a pistol from him. I told him from that time I did not even want to go back. He told me they hired some cops to work there as a second job. Sounds like they didn't work out to well. Still have a strange feeling about going back. Since then I found a great dealer and buy from/through him.

I guess I am one of the strange ones, if you treat me bad, I don't care what the prices are I will stay away from you.
    15 years is a long time. As far as I know there isn't a single person at Midwest (besides the owner) who has been there for 15 years. It is likely that the Midwest of today is not nearly what you experienced 15 years ago. You should stop in sometime (even if you have no plans of buying anything). If I'm not busy, I'd love to chat with you. Just ask for Ryan.

I got to meet Hoosierdood (Ryan) today. Seems like a really good guy.
    bought a new pistol from Tim, who I usually deal with.
    You are only saying that because you still don't know me that well. :)

Top Bottom