• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am the type of person who likes to buy things from the same brand. It make me feel happy inside. I am looking to get into a new line of pistols, and could use some opinions. I am looking for one model that has a full size and a compact that have the same caliber, same controls, and possibly same magazines. The obvious answer is Glock. Before you say that, I will say I am not a fan of Glocks. Nothing against them, just never fit me well. The other obvious answer is the M&P line, but they seem strikingly similar to Glocks. Any other lines I should be looking at? Thanks!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What's your problem with glocks?

I mean there isn't really a "best line" of handguns, that's a subjective term. You're looking for something with the most possible inter-compatibility as possible, and glocks do that the best of anyone.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    RUGER :chest:
    They are the best line of Firearms period let alon pistols. They have the best of all worlds and no one can say that Ruger doesn't make the most rugged revolver that you can depend on no matter what. I rarely have to look further than the Ruger Catalog to find my next firearm. :)

As for Glocks, :toilet2:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    There isn't really a "best line". All companies at one time or another made and will make a turd. Depending on your intended use and pocketbook look to S&W, Colt, High Standard and Ruger. If you don't limit yourself to current production guns off the shelf your horizons are limitless. For instance if you bought 1 example of each variation any of these companies made you would likely be left penny-less. Besides it's the fun of the chase.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    What's your problem with glocks?

I mean there isn't really a "best line" of handguns, that's a subjective term. You're looking for something with the most possible inter-compatibility as possible, and glocks do that the best of anyone.

I never really liked how they fit my hand. Felt like I was holding a block.

Bullet Proof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Elkhart
    I never really liked how they fit my hand. Felt like I was holding a block.

+1. Despite the grips, I would never feel inadequately armed with a Glock. I've had both a 17 and a 21 and they never had issues with any factory ammo I used, brass or steel. I would be the first to jump on Glock's reliability bandwagon, but there are other brands I feel are just as reliable that I shoot better. Big fan of HK's USP line for instance.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I like Sig Sauers but I wouldn't plan on being able to share mags from pistol to pistol if you get different models.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ruger is good if you are a one brand man. Not only do they have very good semiauto handguns from .22 to .45, they also have very good revolvers and many good rifles. If you are only concerned about handguns, then Springfield Armory and Sig Sauer have very good lines. In the end, it is a matter of what fits you best.

Last edited:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Check out Canik 55. High quality CZ clones, made in Turkey. They use Meg-Gar mags that are generally interchangeable among different models and some models accept CZ mags/grips/trigger parts.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you want to buy into a platform (same mags between full size to the compact/subcompact, same holster, same trigger pull, etc) and I strongly advise doing so, the Glocks are a good choice. You mention not liking Glock, and in that case I'd say take a hard look at the M&P line. The M&P's are great guns. I'm not sure if the XD series is like this or not, or if the Ruger SR9 and SR9c are like this or not, but may be worth a look.

I think it is a smart move to look at this as buying into a platform and not just an isolated purchase.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    How about the Sig P320? One gun, plus other kits - as the FCG can be moved from gun to gun. I'm not speaking from any experience, as I'm a fan of classic Sig pistols. But this seems interesting to me.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The other obvious answer is the M&P line, but they seem strikingly similar to Glocks.

They are strikingly similar to Glocks, with the exception of the grip (you know, the one thing you didn't like about Glocks).

If you want the simplicity, reliability, mag interchangeability and versatility of the Glock platform, but don't have Glock hands, the M&P is perfect.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I would suggest you give a serious look at the Springfeld Armory XD series of handguns. I own a 5.25 that I use for IDPA and USPSA shooting. I had a XDs that you have been a good carry gun - but I already had a Glock 26 and a Colt Defender for the same purpose. I find the SA handguns reliable, accurate, competitively priced, and have good resell value.

YMMV

Top Bottom