• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HyenaReview

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Owensboro
    I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Century, but primarily good things about the WASR. I've never own an AK or a Century manufactured firearm, so I'm turning to you guys. How does the WASR shoot in regards to other AK's? More failures, trigger issues, accuracy, etc. Hickok45 claimed it shot nearly identical to the Arsenal line, but that's only 1 opinion even if he is more announced.

Honestly don't care about the finish as long as it shoots as good as others. I would probably switch out the furniture anyway and I enjoy refinishing.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    my wasr shoot every bit as well as my yugoand my maadi. they all go bang when you pull the trigger. all eat any ammo put in them. all hit steal at 200 yrds. my wasr was way cheaper then the other 2 and it was my 1st......

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The WASR is not manufactured by Century. It is manufactured in Romania and imported by Century. Century or one of their distributors then opens up the magwell to accept standard AK mags and then replaces enough imported parts with USA made to decrease the imported parts count to the maximum allowed of 10 per the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment.

The problem with the WASR stems from how well the mag well is opened, whether the bolt sold with the rifle is for standard mags or as imported single stack, and the quality of the trigger group used. Lately Century has been using Tapco G2 trigger groups so no problem there.

Most people are very happy with their WASR-10s but agreed, you will find a couple that have had issues.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The WASR is not manufactured by Century. It is manufactured in Romania and imported by Century. Century or one of their distributors then opens up the magwell to accept standard AK mags and then replaces enough imported parts with USA made to decrease the imported parts count to the maximum allowed of 10 per the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment.

The problem with the WASR stems from how well the mag well is opened, whether the bolt sold with the rifle is for standard mags or as imported single stack, and the quality of the trigger group used. Lately Century has been using Tapco G2 trigger groups so no problem there.

Most people are very happy with their WASR-10s but agreed, you will find a couple that have had issues.

^this.
    Thing of the WASR-10 as a Hi-Point. It's fugly but will get the job done. It's not designed for long range accuracy but will eat all type of ammo from corrosive steel to match ammo. It's the junk gun for the trunk when you need a more powerful weapon then your sidearm.

What exactly are your goals with this rifle or your new rifle purchase?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Odds are it will do everything you ever ask of it, and you can't afford enough ammo to wear it out.

Do yourself a favor and buy a front sight pushing tool when you get it. It'll save you some headache.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    ^this.
    Thing of the WASR-10 as a Hi-Point. It's fugly but will get the job done. It's not designed for long range accuracy but will eat all type of ammo from corrosive steel to match ammo. It's the junk gun for the trunk when you need a more powerful weapon then your sidearm.

What exactly are your goals with this rifle or your new rifle purchase?
    Sorry but I value a wasrs reliability much higher than a hipoint. The new production wasrs are cherry

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    There was a bad batch early on and that gave them a bad reputation. If you buy a new WASR you are more than likely going to be happy with your purchase as Century and their Romanian suppliers got their stuff together after enough customer complaints (free markets for the win).

I got one of the older ones with the canted sight. I just adjusted the sight to make up for it. No big deal. You'll definitely want a sight adjustment tool though, as really you should have one for every firearm you own. Each one shoots just a bit differently from the next and that needs to be corrected.

They'll hold 3 MOA quite easily. Not a match rifle, but that is more than enough accuracy for a man sized target which is what the AK was designed to shoot at anyways.

HyenaReview

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Owensboro
    Thanks for all the feedback and opinions, I appreciate them all

indykid: Your response was exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for. Thanks for educating me better on Century's role.

Jedi: I'm looking for primarily a range toy, but something I can also depend on if the event ever arises. Shooting for something around 5" or better groupings within 100 yards and the ability to hit a human silhouette target at 300 Yards. Nothing to extreme or pinpoint. One of the biggest reasons I'm considering the WASR, is just for the fun of improving it.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I had a WASR that I purchased maybe 8 years ago, and never had any issues with it. It wasn't pretty, furniture and finish were very crude, but it functioned well, had no mag wobble, and would hold 4-5 MOA. The front sight was canted, but not so much that it could be zeroed. I ended up selling it and putting that money toward an Arsenal, but don't regret having had one.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    My tricked out WASR has been nothing but 100% reliable and a blast to shoot, especially with 30 rd. mags. It shoots any thing I've fed it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What mags do you guys recommend to use in one?
    I only use steel surplus magazines, but that's just me. Tapco magazines will work if they will fit in your gun, but if you have a tight magazine well they will not fit. Using steel magazines for a while will open it up enough for polymer magazines to fit.

Avoid any of the magazines made in Korea. They are hit or miss on quality (usually miss).

The Bulgarian surplus polymer magazines are good to go, but they aren't all that common now.

HyenaReview

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Owensboro
    Sounds like the only things to worry about are a possibility of loose mags and canted sights. For the price and the plan in mind, not much to worry about.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sounds like the only things to worry about are a possibility of loose mags and canted sights. For the price and the plan in mind, not much to worry about.
    For the price you'll be very happy as long as you buy one you can inspect first or buy from a reputable source online and if there's a problem make them send you a new one or fix it.
    id recommend spending a tad more and getting a mak90. Slap some regular furniture on it and it will suit you for life and also go up in value!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The biggest problem with the WASR's are the sights not being straight so check for the that when your buying one. It can be fixed, but can also be a pain in the ass. As far as functioning, I've never had an issue on the multiple ones I've owned over the years. Some of the earlier ones look like they opened the magwell up with a cold chisel, so also look for that, as well as how much the mag wobbles.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Have one, love it, just buy one.

It's an AK, so it will fire every time you pull the trigger. Two biggest thing to look for are sight canting and mag wobble. My rifle has neither, as I was able to look it over before purchasing

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had one for about 8 years, paid $299 at dunhams sporting goods. The gun has preformed perfectly thru thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Top Bottom