• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    In 2014, most name brand hollow point ammo will do the job.

I use Federal HST2, other good ones are Hornaday TAP, Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, ect.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Use what runs in your gun. Some are sensitive to the ammo you put through them. Most modern defensive ammo is going to have the same effect on your target. There is no sense in using a brand/style/make of ammo that doesn't consistently feed in your pistol. In other words, what works in mine may not work in yours. So use what you know works.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    In 2014, most name brand hollow point ammo will do the job.

I use Federal HST2, other good ones are Hornaday TAP, Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, ect.

This, as a general rule, is pretty accurate. My preference in 9mm is 124 gr loads, giving a bit more penetration on average than 115, and not as much as the 147 gr stuff. It tends to be the closest to the sights for my guns too. My current stock is Remington GS 124 gr +P. My wife is carrying Federal 124gr HST. Stick with the American companies, find what your gun likes, and dont sweat your choice.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I agree with the above. Try a couple of brands to see what works for your gun and stick with it. Some combos don't work well. FWIW, I use Federal HST 124+P in my SR9c, but GoldDots are also a good choice.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    124gr Federal +P HST. Buy the 50 round boxes and you will not get hosed nearly as much as buying the other defense ammo in 20 or 25 round boxes. Last ones I got came from sgammo.com

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Look for bonded ammo. It will hold together and retain more mass for sufficient penetration if it strikes a barrier, bone, etc before getting to the organs.

Avoid ultra light and all copper bullets.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Get on Youtube and check out "tnoutdoors9." He tests just about every type of ammo you can imagine.

[video=youtube_share;A9TokjDG4iw]http://youtu.be/A9TokjDG4iw[/video]

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I just bought a box of Nosler 9mm bonded 124 gr. I am planning on putting up some targets here soon to see how they shoot through my gun. I am going to compare them to my older federal home defense rounds. I plan to rest on a table to I can remain as accurate as possible during the comparison. We'll see. I am sure they will all do the trick.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I like Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot. Find the weight that shoots the best in your firearm for you. ​I prefer the 147gr loads.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I trade off between Cor Bon and Gold Dots. Both are more accurate than I can get; the Gold Dots may do slightly better.
    I've recently shot Underwood +p+ 124 Gr. Very Very HOT! But perhaps not so surprisingly pretty accurate. My G 19 liked them.:)

Top Bottom