• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've been an M&P fan for some time, and have always wanted a Shield for when I have to carry small and light. I never could get past the safety, though. I hoped against hope that someday S&W would make one without and that day finally came. I picked this up from PSS and can hardly wait to get it to the range. I'm looking at the Theis ez clip holster for it.

Shield.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I don't understand why people get so upset about the safety on this gun. It's so small and subtle. It's not like the full size where you might accidentally flip it on. Just leave it off...

Having said that, congrats. You are gonna love it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I am way past needing another pistol...but I would say this pistol, will probably be my next. :):

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't understand why people get so upset about the safety on this gun. It's so small and subtle. It's not like the full size where you might accidentally flip it on. Just leave it off...

Because it is one additional thing that could go wrong during a high stress situation. Imagine it accidentally catching on your clothes or something during a draw. That would be awful if it didn't shoot when you needed it to.

Back on track, I'm happy to see they are now making a version without. I'll have to check these out when I can!

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Congrats on your purchase! I love my shield. Think S&W went with the right direction with making the safety an option. I would prefer the model with no safety for iwb carry in a holster.

that being said, as others have said I haven't had problems with the safety coming on. Still think it's a good idea to practice sweeping off the safety as part of your draw if you plan to carry the shield as your primary ccw. Then you won't have any surprises.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Murphy and his law.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Congrats on your purchase! I love my shield. Think S&W went with the right direction with making the safety an option. I would prefer the model with no safety for iwb carry in a holster.

that being said, as others have said I haven't had problems with the safety coming on. Still think it's a good idea to practice sweeping off the safety as part of your draw if you plan to carry the shield as your primary ccw. Then you won't have any surprises.

This. While I love my original model Shield with the TS, I'm glad S&W listened to their customers and came out with the version without it. Just increases the number of people who now own, or want to own this fine handgun :)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Because it can be accidentally hit. I did it while practicing my draw. I didn't have any interest in training myself to use a safety since my other pistols don't have one.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I carried the Shield for over a year and never had the safety accidentally come on. Finally got rid of it as I started carrying my Glock 19 almost all the time now. Having said that, if I ever get another Shield I will get the one WITHOUT the safety.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    I carried the Shield for over a year and never had the safety accidentally come on. Finally got rid of it as I started carrying my Glock 19 almost all the time now. Having said that, if I ever get another Shield I will get the one WITHOUT the safety.

don't want to hi-jack the thread, but i can't send PM's yet...

WestSider, If you carry IWB, is that pretty feasable with the 19? I'm sure the larger size is possible, but does it bug you knowing how convenient the Shield was? Thanks in advance.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm going to order my Shield without a safety as well. Hoping to order it tomorrow at ZxGun if I can get there. I am in the same thought camp as the others, I don't want to have to worry about the safety. If I have to flick the safety off I will be in a very high stress situation already and the more steps I can eliminate to have my gun ready the better. Now I will be carrying concealed, but that's a whole different discussion for a different thread. ;)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    congrats, nice gun.
    I'll say that I like the safety version, because when I carry in pocket with no holster, I like having the safety on. This wouldn't really be an option without the safety. (Yes, I know that I should use a pocket holster, but sometimes, like running the trash out, I prefer to not have to set up my iwb holster) The safety has its pros and cons.
    If I were to buy a new one today, I'm not sure which one I'd get.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    because when I carry in pocket with no holster, I like having the safety on. This wouldn't really be an option without the safety. (Yes, I know that I should use a pocket holster,

Yes you should use a pocket holster. For Pete's sake man, you can get a little Desantis or Galco for like $20. :facepalm:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo

the ironic thing is that I bet several of the same people wouldn't turn down carrying a 1911 for the same reason.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    the ironic thing is that I bet several of the same people wouldn't turn down carrying a 1911 for the same reason.

Good observation, and here is where I see a distinction. Part of my aversion to the Shield's safety is that it is so small and unobtrusive. I didn't feel a good positive purchase with my thumb when I would be flicking it off, as with a 1911.

I've carried 1911's, and the operation, or manual of arms, is vastly different. To me, there is one way to carry the 1911, and that's cocked and locked, the safety is on, all the time, no doubts, same way, every time. Plus, the safety is larger and more positive to flick off. Just like the safeties on the full size and compact M&P's.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Funny. People carried pistols with safeties for what, 100+ years...now it's a big detriment to have one??. I don't see it. If your not capable of correctly handling and knowing your carry gun, and it's operation then maybe you should rethink carrying it. IMHO

let the flames begin hahaha :popcorn:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If your not capable of correctly handling and knowing your carry gun, and it's operation then maybe you should rethink carrying it. IMHO

That's why I am ordering one without the safety, so I can correctly handle my gun and it's operation.

Good observation, and here is where I see a distinction. Part of my aversion to the Shield's safety is that it is so small and unobtrusive. I didn't feel a good positive purchase with my thumb when I would be flicking it off, as with a 1911.

I've carried 1911's, and the operation, or manual of arms, is vastly different. To me, there is one way to carry the 1911, and that's cocked and locked, the safety is on, all the time, no doubts, same way, every time. Plus, the safety is larger and more positive to flick off. Just like the safeties on the full size and compact M&P's.

:+1: To me (huge hands) this is another part of why I am opting to get one without it. My S&W M&P .22 pistol has a large safety and it is easy to flick off for me, but the Shield's safety is just so small it's easy to miss it with my thumb.

Top Bottom