So, am I an idiot or not for deciding to pass on this deal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've got a guy who's wanting to trade me his Sig P239 (with contrast sights) with 4 factory mags, all packaging and a Safariland holster for my Gen 4 Gen 27. I'd give him $150 cash difference.

I keep telling myself the 27 is a smaller and more practical carry gun, especially with a 23 in the stable as well....

BUT IT'S SIG!

grrr...

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had Sig in the past and don't like them anymore, just because is more expensive doesn't mean is a better gun. I now carry a G26 and I'm very happy with it as it has decent capacity from stock configuration and its light weight.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I probably would have made the trade. I am not big on the .40 in subcompact guns. Was the 239 in 9mm?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a stable full of Glocks so I like to stay will similar so they shoot and feel the same. I know where there is a brand new G4 G27 for sale $479. Buy it and trade him $100 diff

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I have a stable full of Glocks so I like to stay will similar so they shoot and feel the same. I know where there is a brand new G4 G27 for sale $479. Buy it and trade him $100 diff

We're a glock household overall. Just got my 27 new for $485 so I didn't do TOO bad.

And all of us running the same system is certainly a factor in my mind. It, as much as anything, is what gave me pause, even with the allure of the Sig.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    :dunno:

Something I've learned over the years is that those 'once in a lifetime' deals come along about once a week. Whether that's firearms, motorcycles, cars, jewelry & watches, real estate, or anything else.

I just shrug it off and think "Wasn't the right thing for me, at the time. There'll be another opportunity coming along soon". Long as ya keep your eyes and ears open.

If it just didn't 'feel' quite right (nothing nefarious, just that 'feeling'), then it's usually better to listen to that 'little bird on your shoulder'.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County

Something I've learned over the years is that those 'once in a lifetime' deals come along about once a week. Whether that's firearms, motorcycles, cars, jewelry & watches, real estate, or anything else.

I just shrug it off and think "Wasn't the right thing for me, at the time. There'll be another opportunity coming along soon". Long as ya keep your eyes and ears open.

If it just didn't 'feel' quite right (nothing nefarious, just that 'feeling'), then it's usually better to listen to that 'little bird on your shoulder'.

Yep. Seems like a nice gun but just can't bring myself to deal with the extra weight and size of my EDC.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've got a guy who's wanting to trade me his Sig P239 (with contrast sights) with 4 factory mags, all packaging and a Safariland holster for my Gen 4 Gen 27. I'd give him $150 cash difference.

I keep telling myself the 27 is a smaller and more practical carry gun, especially with a 23 in the stable as well....

BUT IT'S SIG!

grrr...

You won't see me say this often, but go with the Glock.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Yep, good decision. I took a 239 on trade once and only kept it for about an hour before trading it towards something else. Way too big and heavy for a single stack pistol IMO.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Yep, good decision. I took a 239 on trade once and only kept it for about an hour before trading it towards something else. Way too big and heavy for a single stack pistol IMO.

THAT was the little voice in my head!

"Chez sez no, Chez sez no, Chez sez no!"

Seriously, that was the exact concern that kept nagging me. Thought it would be a nicer shooter than my 27, but the stinking thing weighs more unloaded than my 23 does loaded. Let alone the size increase as well.

Sigs are nice, though. Just not the best to haul around all day.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't care for the grip on the 239. They are thin and very square feeling and it made it very uncomfortable to hold. Never shot one but I could imagine it not being pleasant, especially in .40.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I don't care for the grip on the 239. They are thin and very square feeling and it made it very uncomfortable to hold. Never shot one but I could imagine it not being pleasant, especially in .40.

CT grips solve the above problem. Hogue wrap around rubber grips for a cheaper solution.

Buy a 357Sig barrel and have yourself a nice carry pistol.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

This right here is why I have too many guns.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We're a glock household overall. Just got my 27 new for $485 so I didn't do TOO bad.

And all of us running the same system is certainly a factor in my mind. It, as much as anything, is what gave me pause, even with the allure of the Sig.

I generally find that I need to have in mind what I want in a deal (trade/purchase, etc) in advance. I've done deals in the past because something was a good deal, just to figure out it wasn't what I was after, that I just picked it up because it was a good deal. Know what you want, and have that in mind, so when you see a good deal on what you want, you don't hesitate.

And already having a Glock 23, makes keeping the 27 a no brainer. It is part of your platform, don't trade it for a one off that you think you want, just because it looks like a good deal regarding the $.

I personally traded away my 27, even though I had a 23, because I had acquired a 26. When the deal came up to trade the 27 for another 19, I jumped without hesitation.

bluehdflhrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Any day you can trade a Glock for a Sig is a Good Day.Most Sig owners want nothing to do with Glocks on trade.Sigs are a work of art when it comes to guns.Sig is one of if not the best gun out of the box you can buy.Remember you get what you pay for.I would take the deal all day long.Then I would trade the 23 for a P229 or M11A1.Glocks are good guns but Sigs are better.If you have to make changes to get the Glock to shoot like the Sig why not just buy the Sig.You should try it out then make up your mind.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Any day you can trade a Glock for a Sig is a Good Day.Most Sig owners want nothing to do with Glocks on trade.Sigs are a work of art when it comes to guns.Sig is one of if not the best gun out of the box you can buy.Remember you get what you pay for.I would take the deal all day long.Then I would trade the 23 for a P229 or M11A1.Glocks are good guns but Sigs are better.If you have to make changes to get the Glock to shoot like the Sig why not just buy the Sig.You should try it out then make up your mind.

Well, after many changes since, I DID end up with a Sig. P320 Compact. Like it quite well so far.

Top Bottom