• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Just got an SP101. Went to the range. It is almost as good as my GP100. I also like S&W revolvers, but these brothers may be my favorite. I know, I will work on the pics later. How do you guys like the SP101 for carry?

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Congrats!

Wish I could say I have an opinion on carrying the SP101, but so far don't one. Love my GP100 though. Tagging to hear what others have to say.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Like the XDS, I want one but don't know what I'd do with it. Its the perfectly wrong size for me. If I want small, I've got my LCR which is lighter, has a better factory trigger, and shoots very nicely. If I'm willing to deal with the heft, I might as well just go with my 3" GP100.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I have a 3 inch SP101 and really like it. I'm thinking of buying a LCR. I have an Elpaso Saddlery Crosshair holster for the SP. Nice piece of leather.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    My 3" gets a lot of carry out here on hikes in NM - there's no .357 Magnum load I wouldn't run through it:

2013-04-01_13-15-14_169.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    ... Its the perfectly wrong size for me. If I want small, I've got my LCR which is lighter, has a better factory trigger, and shoots very nicely. If I'm willing to deal with the heft, I might as well just go with my 3" GP100.

I tend ot agree with this. It's just heavy for EDC in my opinion. I love the gun itself, and as a kit gun, or even OWB/hike gun, I think it's got its place. But as CCW, its just heavy. For a couple more ounces you can be in the 3" GP100 territory.
    ... with that said, they are great guns, no doubt...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I really enjoy the Ruger SP101 lineup. I have carried the little 2 inch forever, it's small and light and handy so it doesn't get forgotten even when I am just running down the street. The SP handles everything I throw at it... Had the 2 inch just over 20 years now I believe. I also have the hammer-less 2 inch along with the 3 inch and the 4.2 inch. The 4.2 inch goes in the woods south of US 30 where we consider to be in the sticks... Deer Legal and all the gun I would need with 357 magnums in it out there... The LCR is also nice for carry but with the low weight it is a handful to shoot. Nice as a spare though and when you need to carry in a unsupported manner to blend in... The GP100 is nice also... but a bit more heft and therefore not as easy to carry. The Match Champion is about perfect in size and weight distribution and handling recoil from the magnums though... I don't think you can go wrong with the SP101's or the GP100's for that matter... I'll try to post a picture in a little while...

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Great pistols. If I truly ever had to choose that "one gun" to own, the SP101 would be a serious contender.

I've got two of the 2-1/4's (kind of). My mother took a liking to the original one when I left it at her house while on the CVN, and I can't get it back from her! :dunno: So I had no choice but to buy another one. :):

It is a bit heavy for EDC, but it does conceal well IWB or in a big front pocket. The round revolver is quite comfy IWB, too. I typically keep it and two holsters (pocket and IWB) in a mini-safe in the truck while I'm at work so I can be armed if I need to go somewhere without going home first. And while it's not ideal for all-day carry, it does okay for short times - just be sure to have a good belt to hold the weight.

For the past several years (since I had to sell my S&W 629) I've also used it as my hunting sidearm (w/ .357) during deer season. With that exception, I stick to +P because I feel the extra power is mostly wasted in the 2-1/4". The gun is perfectly strong enough for magnums and recoil isn't bad, but most of the extra powder just seems to make extra muzzle flash.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Thanks for all the comments. I have carried the sp101 around a bit the last few days AIWB and it is just as easy (I think) as my Airweight S&W 38. I like the idea of the 357 instead of 38. Either would handle self defense ok but I just plain like the stainless steel and the tank like build. It's cool with the inlay grips just like my GP100. I might be a Ruger Guy!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I might be a Ruger Guy!

You are. Ever since Ruger got their triggers smoothed out a bit, there's not much reason to go with anyone else. It used to be Ruger had the worst factory trigger. The best description I ever heard was "a single action revolver that was capable of double action fire." That's the truth, they didn't have nearly as smooth of a DA pull as S&W or Colt. Today, though, Ruger's trigger is just as good, or better, than a factory S&W trigger.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You are. Ever since Ruger got their triggers smoothed out a bit, there's not much reason to go with anyone else. It used to be Ruger had the worst factory trigger. The best description I ever heard was "a single action revolver that was capable of double action fire." That's the truth, they didn't have nearly as smooth of a DA pull as S&W or Colt. Today, though, Ruger's trigger is just as good, or better, than a factory S&W trigger.
    :popcorn:

kc9bpo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    I love my SP101 and carry it everywhere I go, or not go. Wish there were more holster options for it though. would like something with a small clip so i don't need to wear a belt all of time.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    SP101 2 1/4" was the first gun I ever bought and like a dumbass I traded it off. I will have another one, but I think I am going to go with the 3" barrel this time!

deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    ive carried mine for a couple years. it is kind of a compromise for me. able to carry reasonably and take to the range. if i were able though id carry the lcr and have a gp100 for range use. i use a "clevelands ugly holster" . it was pretty cheap at the time but im still able to use it.

Top Bottom