• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Just curious how others feel in this situation. I realize these are 2 different guns with the whole semi-auto vs revolver thing. But I am looking for a Conceal Carry gun suitable for situations like dress casual with no coat. The XDs seems to be a representative of the "typical" sub-compact 9mm I would be considering. And actually I am leaning toward it too with the mag promo going on now. I have never owned or shot a revolver. But the Ruger LCR seems to be highly praised as a good revolver for carry.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Carry both...revolvers make great primary weapons and BUGs. Right belt and holsters and you wouldn't have much trouble doing it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I pocket carry a .38 Bodyguard when dressed as you described. It's very similar in size to the LCR. Just a touch smaller.

It slips into a pocket nicely with a Desantis Nemesis 2. It's better than being unarmed and works well for deep concealment. It is pretty snappy to shoot and it's definitely not high on the list of most accurate guns.

If keeping it totally hidden isn't a major concern for you, you'll probably feel more prepared with the XDs.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just curious how others feel in this situation. I realize these are 2 different guns with the whole semi-auto vs revolver thing. But I am looking for a Conceal Carry gun suitable for situations like dress casual with no coat. The XDs seems to be a representative of the "typical" sub-compact 9mm I would be considering. And actually I am leaning toward it too with the mag promo going on now. I have never owned or shot a revolver. But the Ruger LCR seems to be highly praised as a good revolver for carry.

Revolvers are simple to operate and often easy to conceal. The LCR is incredibly lightweight, which is good and bad. Great for carry, but bad for recoil. Revolvers also release their ecoil all at once, where as semi-auto actions absorb some of the recoil and recoil is also distributed over a longer period of time. In general, lightweight revolvers can have some hearty kick! I would rather shoot 9mm in my P938 than .38 +Ps from my 605 snubbie all day...357s are downright brutal, and it isn't an airlight pistol. You also need to ask yourself, which type of gun would you practice more with?

I think caliber is also overlooked. 38 special doesn't perform well from a small, snub nose barrel. Even with +P ammo, I haven't been very impressed with most ballistic gel tests. On the other, there are many standard pressure 9mm rounds that perform great from short barrels. The 124gr HST comes to mind.

One common myth is that revolvers never fail, which is not the case. A perfect example is my Taurus 605. The hammer spring weakened somehow which caused light strikes with double-action pulls. You can also run into issues with cylinders locking, preventing cylinder movement.

If you feel more comfortable with a revolver, I would opt for a .357. You can always shoot .38s out of it if you don't like .357 recoil (which I guarantee you sure as hell won't :):) For all practical purposes, a good 9mm can be just as reliable, easier to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and hold more.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    also, consider weight.
    I have a shield in 9mm that I love, but it's on the heavy side for pocket carry ("Is that a lead brick in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? ...")

I'm considering getting the LCR in the .38 spl +p version because, even fully loaded, it is nearly 6 oz lighter than a shield with 7 rds in.

Of course, I'll keep the Shield because it's awesome for IWB and just fun.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    You can hide an XDs quite well with an IWB holster. I just bought the 3.3 version. Some other bonuses are the fiberoptic sight, its ambidextrous mag release (if you ever have to shoot with your weak hand), and you can get the extended magazine for it, giving you options on concealment vs ammo. I also really love the Springfield grip safety design for concealed-carry.

Last edited:

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    If you would spend $600 on a Ruger wheelgun, you might as well spring for a Chiappa Rhino. Python and 686 aside, that is the best shooting .357 I've handled.

I dont like like the grip safety on the small guns like XDs. But, that's me and there are a bunch of great options in that class. I'd be happy with a Shield, PPS, or Ruger LC9S. Hell, I have the first 2, and I still want to get the Ruger to try it out. The trigger seems very nice from fondling it at the shop.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Those are basically the the 2 guns I carry, XDsc9 and 340PD. I find in casual clothes (jeans or khakis with an un-tucked shirt) both carry and conceal very well. The XD in a crossbreed supertuck prints more on my hip than the 340PD in a pocket holster. I found both comfortable all day. The XD on my hip pokes me in the side when I sit in a car but based on your body comp it may be different for you, I am a bit overweight. If I am going to be doing stuff more active that just walking around (bending over a lot, riding the motorcycle) I prefer the 340 in my front pocket. I definitely like shooting the XD more than the 340PD and I am a revolver guy. If you have never shot a revolver I wouldn't start out on a LCR because they are so light weight you will pick up bad habits before the good ones take hold due to the recoil.

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    If your unsure which to buy, head to a range that rents them. I've done this in the past. I've even let the range know I was gonna buy a new model of one of the two I wanted to shoot, and they only made me pay for one rental- as long as I bought their ammo of course, and bought whichever one I chose from them. This way, you have a little trigger time with the LCR before deciding.

Top Bottom