• throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    dang... that might be my new pocket gun
    (I LOVE the idea of a moonclipped 5-shot in 9mm),
    I'm debating sending my 4" GP100 off to TK Customs, Clark Custom gunworks, or John C. Blauvelt to get it cut for moonclips.

Moonclips with a shorter cartridge like the 9mm or 45 ACP have a few advantages over longer cases like the .357, but why not get both ? :)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    p.s.
    I WISH ruger would put out a factory moonclipped .357 in the GP100 or SP101 variety (or even better, a .45 ACP revolver with moonclips to compete with the S&W 625)

... fingers crossed, but not holding my breath

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay . . . this is cool, especially since it can share ammo with a Glock et al.

However, one of the primary strengths of the LCR is that it's a great pocket gun. Along with that, a reload in a speed strip is easy to carry. That's going to be different with full moon clips. Those are going to be bulky in your pocket. Hopefully someone will make half moon clips.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just scanning the specs sheet and noticed it is not CA approved. I might have missed it but is Ruger one of the company's the just gave the finger to Commiefornia? It's just a 5 shot revolver. :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just scanning the specs sheet and noticed it is not CA approved. I might have missed it but is Ruger one of the company's the just gave the finger to Commiefornia? It's just a 5 shot revolver. :dunno:

Pretty much everyone has been giving CA the finger since the instituted the lame, impractical microstamping law. Glock too ignored the CA market when it came out with the 41/42. And as I recall, the newest M&Ps are not CA friendly either.

Heck, anyone know of a company that IS complying?

(no new guns without microstamping, and no substantial modifications to existing designs unless they too include microstamping as part of the redesign)

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I like the idea of a compact pocket gun in 9mm with the reliability of a revolver. Would be an awesome gun for me when I'm in slacks and tucked shirt

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI

There's a single action exemption that makes these gettable for a nasty premium in CA for the time being. Similar to the single shot exemption....a loophole that was closed by recent legislation.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Pretty much everyone has been giving CA the finger since the instituted the lame, impractical microstamping law. Glock too ignored the CA market when it came out with the 41/42. And as I recall, the newest M&Ps are not CA friendly either.

Heck, anyone know of a company that IS complying?

(no new guns without microstamping, and no substantial modifications to existing designs unless they too include microstamping as part of the redesign)

S&W has a Mass / Cali compliant version of the Bodyguard in .38. Sadly, I have one because it's what the insurance company sent me as a replacement when I had a Colt Detective Special stolen.

The compliance doesn't come from the number of rounds, but the trigger pull. IIRC the Mass / Cali compliant DA revolvers are required to have a minimum trigger pull of 10 lbs. That's nearly a full 1.5 lbs more than the regular DA pull for the non-Mass / Cali compliant Bodyguard.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Steel frame instead of the aluminum the 38 has. It has a steel frame like the 357.

That makes sense given how much pressure a 9mm and .357 have versus .38 +P.

I hate to be that guy, but I think I'm more disappointed than anything. To me, the weight of the LCR 38 was its main redeeming quality. To put things into perspective:

1 9mm bullet - 0.5 oz.
    LCR unloaded - 17.2 oz.
    Sig P938 unloaded - 16 oz.

LCR loaded (5 rounds) - 19.7 oz.
    Sig P938 (7 rounds) - 19.5 oz.

For me, I would lose barrel length, ease of reloads, night sights, extra rounds, single action trigger, and concealability.

I'm sure this LCR has practical use for someone, but I won't be buying one...now a light .357 version with an LCRX frame (hammer) would be a different story

Top Bottom