• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You beat me to it lovemachine. I was just going to post that. Most people who have been to one of my handgun classes in the last five years or so have heard me say something very similar.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've opted for blacked out rear sights. never put much thought into why it is easier for me to shoot this way... just seemed like a no brainer with focusing on the front sight.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Meh, been shooting the 3 dots for years now and they don't bother me. The only time I pay any attention to the rear dots is if it's too dark to see the outline of the rear sight.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I use a dry erase marker on my rear sights. Covers up the painted white dots but cleans off easily with a little rubbing alcohol. The night sights will in fact show right through either the dry erase or sharpie marker.

Interestingly enough my three dot sights line up. By this I mean if the top of the sights are even the three dots still line up. I have seen pistols were this was not the case.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Interestingly enough my three dot sights line up. By this I mean if the top of the sights are even the three dots still line up. I have seen pistols were this was not the case.

Exactly. That is one of my main reasons for not liking them. There are worse things going on, but I think 3 dots were one of those solution looking for a problem things.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Exactly. That is one of my main reasons for not liking them. There are worse things going on, but I think 3 dots were one of those solution looking for a problem things.

Oh I agree totally. When I was younger I did not have a problem with three dot sights. Now there is just too much going on up there. Plus like the article stated the front sight has the tendency to get all fouled up after an extended range session causing the rears to really jump out.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use a dry erase marker on my rear sights. Covers up the painted white dots but cleans off easily with a little rubbing alcohol. The night sights will in fact show right through either the dry erase or sharpie marker.

Trijicon HD's do the same thing. No white outline on the rear trit vials, so they don't show up in daylight, but are bright and clear in low light. The front sight dot is outline in orange or yellow and pops during the day, but the color outline isn't seen in low light and the trit vial glows nicely.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When shooting in a low light environment, you should not only use a light to "light up" the target, but also light up your sights as well.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I have also noticed that with a 3-doy sight, it takes me longer to get a sight picture. I find myself just staring at the dots, then the top of the sight posts, then back at the dots, trying to line everything up.

Since I have switched to the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights, I'm way faster, and way more accurate than I ever was. I can pick up that front sight so much easier.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    When shooting in a low light environment, you should not only use a light to "light up" the target, but also light up your sights as well.

I just hot glued a flashlight to the top of my m&p. Sadly, it was backwards... so now I re hot glued it facing the right direction. Front sight is all lit up now, but I am way off target and have to learn to hip shoot mo bettah.

Top Bottom