• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Today at the range the front sight dot fell out of my front sight post on my M&P Shield. I recall reading about someone having a similar issue here on INGO awhile back, does anyone know who that was or where the thread was? Forum search doesn't currently work.

Also - opinions on night sight brands for the Shield? I have an email out to S&W customer service but if it's not worth sending back to them I'll just buy a set of night sights.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Today at the range the front sight dot fell out of my front sight post on my M&P Shield. I recall reading about someone having a similar issue here on INGO awhile back, does anyone know who that was or where the thread was? Forum search doesn't currently work.

Also - opinions on night sight brands for the Shield? I have an email out to S&W customer service but if it's not worth sending back to them I'll just buy a set of night sights.
    Smith will just send you a new front sight, no need to send anything back.

When I get my Shield, I'm putting I-Dot Pro's on it to match my FS.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012

I have Idot pros on my Shield and love them. Looking to get some for my full size M&P9. I like the u-notch ones better than the square notch. Great sights.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have Idot pros on my Shield and love them. Looking to get some for my full size M&P9. I like the u-notch ones better than the square notch. Great sights.

QFT!

406237202.jpg

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Here's the response from S&W:

"You have a few options. The easiest fix would be to take a tooth pick and some white nail polish and repaint on the dot. The dot itself was just painted on and the reason it fell off is because there was oil underneath the paint that didn't dry properly before we painted it.

The Second option is we send you out a new front sight, and you have a local gunsmith replace the sight. **Note that if you or the gunsmith damages the slide while replacing the sight it will void the warranty

The Third is you send your gun back into us and we will take care of it under warranty."

I think I'll just take this as a sign that it's time to upgrade to night sights.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Wow - surprising response from S&W. I had this happen when I had an M&P compact so I emailed them. Response I got was basically "send us your address". A few days later, a new front site showed up in the mail.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Here's the response from S&W:

"You have a few options. The easiest fix would be to take a tooth pick and some white nail polish and repaint on the dot. The dot itself was just painted on and the reason it fell off is because there was oil underneath the paint that didn't dry properly before we painted it.

The Second option is we send you out a new front sight, and you have a local gunsmith replace the sight. **Note that if you or the gunsmith damages the slide while replacing the sight it will void the warranty

The Third is you send your gun back into us and we will take care of it under warranty."

I think I'll just take this as a sign that it's time to upgrade to night sights.

Wow... When this happened to my Keltec, they sent me a set of front and rear sights, no charge...

Wow - surprising response from S&W. I had this happen when I had an M&P compact so I emailed them. Response I got was basically "send us your address". A few days later, a new front site showed up in the mail.

The second option seems to be exactly what you guys are talking about? Am I missing something?

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sights are overrated. Just draw you gun, kick that **** 90 degrees and let that lead fly. Jerry Miculek and Iraqvet8888 did an excellent how-to on this shooting style.

P.s. don't forget to grab your crotch and gangsta lean a bit.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Unless you are upgrading the sights I would just repaint the dot. There is a definte risk of scratching the slide when changing sights. I see your on the east side, a bit far but I would share some KG sight paint

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Wow... When this happened to my Keltec, they sent me a set of front and rear sights, no charge...

When this happened to my M&P, they sent me a new front sight, no charge... which is preferable to any situation that ends in my having a KelTec, even with a spare rear sight.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When the rear sight fell off my Taurus 709, Taurus sent FedEx to pick it up, installed new sight, and sent it back at their expense. It took them a month, though, counting the shipping both ways.

It seems S&W is demonstrating a willingness to work with the OP and is giving him a range of options. Only point I might question is if OP sends it back under warranty, will S&W cover shipping. Night sights seems a good option here, but tooth pick and white paint is a simpler option. Depends on what the OP prefers.

I would not complain.

Top Bottom