Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Handgun Recoil Table - Eye opener

This will open ones eyes. I just have to fire that .454 at least once...

Handgun Recoil - Condensed Table

I came across this and if its been posted before, please delete the thread.

I thought the .454 was basically a 45LC, Have shot the a few times.......nice.

Much depends on the length of the barrel and the weight of the gun. On a revolver some of the power escapes between the cylinder and the barrel, not so with guns like the Thompson Contender. My .44mag contender has more kick than my Ruger. My older Contender .44 Mag kicked hard enough to throw the little snap-on forend over my head....I decided to put a rubber band around it....it worked for a couple of rounds till it broke in half.

It was an eye-opener for me. I remember the first time I was shooting a .38 and didnt know a .357 was loaded, shared the **** out of me.

(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -
    How does the 500 Magnum compare to the .50 Action Express on the chart? (be gentle, gun n00b here, lol) If it is close, that would certainly quantify the difference in recoil I felt going from a Bersa 380, to trying out a 500 Magnum a couple weeks ago.

Becoming an INGO Advertiser is easy!
    Click here

I bought a TC encore pistol a few years ago with a 45/70 barrel on it. I think I was able to force myself to shoot it a total of 4 times,after the 3rd round my wrist was killin me,shot it the forth time and and almost lost it...took the gun in and traded the barrel for a 44mag barrel...after shooting that 45/70 the 44mag felt like a sissy round
    the only 454 I have ever shot was in a ruger {red hawk I think?} it had some recoil but was managable.

Physics is physics. It's a helpful table from that perspective and a good starting point. The tricky part is in translating the "physics" recoil to "felt" recoil. For example, something like a Glock 30 and a lightweight compact 1911 style 45 "feel" significantly different due to factors such as bore axis and slide velocity.

It's a good starting point though.

(btw - He has tables for rifle and shotgun recoil as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by 2cool9031 View Post
    Much depends on the length of the barrel and the weight of the gun. On a revolver some of the power escapes between the cylinder and the barrel, not so with guns like the Thompson Contender. My .44mag contender has more kick than my Ruger. My older Contender .44 Mag kicked hard enough to throw the little snap-on forend over my head....I decided to put a rubber band around it....it worked for a couple of rounds till it broke in half.
    I shot my dad's .44 mag contender when I was 12 or so. First shot, the gun took off over my shoulder because it was winter and I couldn't hold on tight because of the gloves I was wearing. He wasn't mad at me because I had just watched him shoot it, and said, let me take off my gloves because I can't get a good grip on it, and he said no. He was behind me and was able to juggle the gun to the ground, so it didn't get damaged. Then he made me shoot it again, but this time let me take my gloves off, and I was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRoadie View Post
    How does the 500 Magnum compare to the .50 Action Express on the chart? (be gentle, gun n00b here, lol) If it is close, that would certainly quantify the difference in recoil I felt going from a Bersa 380, to trying out a 500 Magnum a couple weeks ago.
    No comparison. 500 S&W is way off the chart compared to the 50 AE.
    Quote Originally Posted by dburkhead View Post
    This is a discussion board. We're here to discuss, even if we <gasp> disagree.

(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    <snip>

No comparison. 500 S&W is way off the chart compared to the 50 AE.
    Thanks for the response. That explains why my wrist was sore as $#^%

Becoming an INGO Advertiser is easy!
    Click here

Here's a recoil calculator that's also fun to play with.

Beartooth Bullets > Ballistician's Corner > Recoil Calculator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast