• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikestripe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    seymour,in.
    Thinking about changing out the 2 piece guide to a standard one so I don't have to use the allen wrench to strip the gun down. Do I need to order one or can I pick one up at the 1500

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    On a side note, you can locktite the one you have solid, and cut about .300" off of it and you will still have a full length rod, but you will not need to take it apart with an allen wrench to disassemble your pistol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On a side note, you can locktite the one you have solid, and cut about .300" off of it and you will still have a full length rod, but you will not need to take it apart with an allen wrench to disassemble your pistol.

Never understood buying a loaded and not wanting to use a simple tool for take down. No knock on the OP but the guide rod is in place for a reason or Springer would not put it in the gun. A few conversations with the Springer custom shop a few years ago and every smith I know worth a darn fully believes they have merit. So do I. JMHO.
    LEO is correct. Easy enough to do what he suggests but seriously......leave it in place. An allen takes what, an extra minute to use......Just saying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why does the spring need to be stabilized?

It keeps the spring lined up for linear recoil control. If left loose it does not apply itself to the work in a linear fashion. It is easier to tune a 1911 in that area with the guide rod.

Will it work with out it....sure.

My 1942 Remington 1911 runs just fine with the plug. Would it readily respond to tuning without the rod......Not what I am told by those who seem to know far more on the subject than I do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You need to watch out for those guys "who seem to know far more on the subject"....... Most of them don't.

That is of course true on many levels.
    This topic has been discussed and thrown around a lot.

Does it really do anything.....I can not prove/disprove that.

I have been shooting 1911's since I was 12 and working on/modifying them a long time.
    I saw your post in the Kimber thread and thought you were playing devils advocate which is fine. I still learn something about these guns everyday that I deal with them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not really against or for a full length recoil spring rod. But to note, I cannot think of many pistols that do not have one, except the Astra 400 and the Markorov that the barrel acts as a full length guide rod. I am unfamiliar with any of the poly pistols that do not use one. John Moses Browning must not be too against them, as the Browing Highpower 9mm has one.

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The full length guide rod does 2 things:
    1. Keeps the spring from potentially binding on itself
    2. Adds weight to the muzzle end of the gun

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not really against or for a full length recoil spring rod. But to note, I cannot think of many pistols that do not have one, except the Astra 400 and the Markorov that the barrel acts as a full length guide rod.

If you look at how the spring winds up under the barrel without the rod to put it into a linear shape it does make sense to me. The spring drags on barrel and dust cover especially if you are running the gun hard. If it is contained it is held in place and directed in that linear fashion against the work.

Again.....can not prove/disprove the actual benefits but it just makes sense at least in my warped little mind. JMHO and nothing more.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If you look at how the spring winds up under the barrel without the rod to put it into a linear shape it does make sense to me. The spring drags on barrel and dust cover especially if you are running the gun hard. If it is contained it is held in place and directed in that linear fashion against the work.

Again.....can not prove/disprove the actual benefits but it just makes sense at least in my warped little mind. JMHO and nothing more.

You can prove that adding non-reciprocating weight under the muzzle helps reduce the recoil impulse :)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only thing I have in 1911 with a GI style recoil system is 9mm. With the light recoil spring for the 9mm, I can actually feel the slide running forward, as it is definately slower moving. I do notice there is a big shot-to-shot difference in feel as the slide and barrel runs back into battery. Next range trip, I'll take a full length set up and a gi system and shoot the 9mm 1911 with the same ammo, and see if I can feel any difference. It will be a good experiment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only thing I have in 1911 with a GI style recoil system is 9mm. With the light recoil spring for the 9mm, I can actually feel the slide running forward, as it is definately slower moving. I do notice there is a big shot-to-shot difference in feel as the slide and barrel runs back into battery. Next range trip, I'll take a full length set up and a gi system and shoot the 9mm 1911 with the same ammo, and see if I can feel any difference. It will be a good experiment.

Let us know. My guns all feel different with the 2 systems in place. Could be my imagination but maybe not.

Top Bottom