• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hi all, looking for some feedback on two commander sized 1911's.
    Colt commander (combat or LW)
    or the Springfield Champion. I'm not a huge fan of the Champion with the accessory rail, so it'll probably be one of the older ones sans rail. Being in the market, I stopped off at the LGS and handled a NIB Champion (with rail) and it felt very nice and fit and finish was impressive. It was priced a little on the high side though, but I understand being able to touch, hold, inspect your new precious.

I know there is heated debate about this particular model being manufactured in Brazil, or that maybe the old ones were, but the new ones (with rail) are made in the US. Being made in Brazil is not as much of a issue for me considering the customer service of SA.

Many thanks for your words of wisdom.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    All I can tell you is that I have a Springfield LW Champion Operator and it is my favorite gun. It runs like a top and I like the rail "coolness" factor. I appreciate those who prefer a more traditional look. :D I for one one don't like front serrations or adjustable sights on a 1911.

The SA Range Officer Compact looks good!

Last edited:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I can only speak to the Colt LW Commander as I have one of those but not a Springfield. What I will say about the Colt is neither this one, or my Defender, will ever be listed for sale. Both are in my top three favorites.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Springfield is good. Colt well from my experience it's more the name and history than anything JMHO Also while you didn't mention them you might consider either the Kimber or Ruger 1911's. Both have commander size guns and the Ruger being recently introduced is getting rave reviews as did their full size. But if it must be between the Colt or Springfield I would go Springfield. More civilian friendly support. Colt can be iffy in they seem (or use to) only interested in huge Military contracts.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I started out with a Springfield Champion and now I have a Colt Commander. The Springfield was an older model that had some issues. I tried to deal with it but in the end I got rid of it. The Colt is a late 70's model and I have had zero issues with it. I doubt that I will ever get rid of it.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a colt lightweight and have had a couple of Champions. I have to agree I don't have much use for the rail on the Champion but they shoot absolutely fantastic. My colt shoots great to and I tend to carry it more due to the lack of having a rail on it. Both are great guns

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Springfield is good. Colt well from my experience it's more the name and history than anything JMHO Also while you didn't mention them you might consider either the Kimber or Ruger 1911's. Both have commander size guns and the Ruger being recently introduced is getting rave reviews as did their full size. But if it must be between the Colt or Springfield I would go Springfield. More civilian friendly support. Colt can be iffy in they seem (or use to) only interested in huge Military contracts.

Thanks for the mention of Kimber and Ruger.....beautiful guns to be sure.....but, it'll be Colt or Springfield this time around.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Just got the LW CHAMPION OPERATOR and it is a really sweet pistol! Love the feel and being a lefty love the ambi safety shoots dead on with very little recoil. Would highly recommend .:ar15:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got the LW Champion and love the gun. It's one of the easiest carrying 1911s I've put in a holster. I had the typical guide rod issues with the 1st gen Champions. I called Springfield and had a new guide rod assembly delivered in 2 days at NO CHARGE. I love their service and it's one of the most dependable 1911s you can get even at over twice the price. I love the LW CHampion.

Top Bottom