• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Tell me why I shouldn't carry a 11rd 22lr pistol. I am very accurate with it and practice a lot. I can unload a full magazine in a very tight group at 5 to 10 yards very quickly and reload very quickly with the extra mag I carry.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Price and availability of ammo? Never thought I would say that about .22lr but it seems 9mm is more cost effective and available right now.

Still, and for who knows how much longer.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Nobody says you can't carry a 22lr. Nobody denies the fact that it COULD stop a threat to your life.

It's just that a 22lr rimfire just isn't as reliable as any centerfire cartidge.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Tell me why I shouldn't carry a 11rd 22lr pistol. I am very accurate with it and practice a lot. I can unload a full magazine in a very tight group at 5 to 10 yards very quickly and reload very quickly with the extra mag I carry.

Because penetration is spotty at best, especially through clothing or other barriers.
    Because rimfire rounds are inherently less reliable than center-fire.
    Because the goal in a defensive shoot is to stop the threat as quickly as possible and there are many many better options for that purpose.
    Because other calibers exist.
    Because I'm not willing to bet my or my family's life on a physiological stop.
    Because Appleseed ammo shouldn't be wasted on mopes.
    Because etc.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Nobody says you can't carry a 22lr. Nobody denies the fact that it COULD stop a threat to your life.

It's just that a 22lr rimfire just isn't as reliable as any centerfire cartidge.

Because penetration is spotty at best, especially through clothing or other barriers.
    Because the goal in a defensive shoot is to stop the threat as quickly as possible and there are many many better choices for that purpose.
    Because etc.

:+1:

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Haven't had much problem finding ammo. Plainfield had quite a lot. Bought 950rds with the purchase of the S&W 22 Compact Pistol. Very nice gun by the way.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Because the goal in a defensive shoot is to stop the threat as quickly as possible and there are many many better options for that purpose.
    Because Appleseed ammo shouldn't be wasted on mopes.
    Because etc.

Yeah, also all of this. ^

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    With the weight and size of the 9mm pistols today, and the improvements to the caliber, there is simply no reason and no excuse to carry anything smaller, like a 380 or a .32, or even a 22lr.

None whatsoever.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    IF it is the only gun you have, carry it. BUT I would do everything possible to upgrade to a bigger caliber ASAFP. Even if it means selling/trading the .22 M&P. You can get a value gun (Ruger 9E, Kahr, Taurus) for about the same for what you paid for the M&P.

If you are willing to bet your life on a .22lr, go ahead. But with bad guys soaking up round after round of .45 SD ammo and keep coming, I wouldn't bet my life on it.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    I get carried away sometimes in my posts. Trying to be more civilized and nicer. My meds seem to be working better:):

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Oh yeah... thought the name sounded familiar. I'm done feeding. :rolleyes:.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm a huge fan of 22LR! One of my favorite pistols to plink away with is an SR22 with the threaded barrel. It's just a hoot, and pretty darned accurate too. Plus, you can carry a LOT more rounds of 22LR around than 9mm, .40, 45, etc. But I have had ammo failures with it. More often than not, I've been able to get a FTF to go off on the 2nd squeeze, which is great for plinking, but not so much for self defense. The obvious and inherent weakness in 22LR is the fact that it's rimfire.

Honestly, I think you could make a decent case for 22LR if it was centerfire. Better than a rock or stick for sure, but seriously, compare a 22LR and a .40 (or a 9mm or a 45) against a 2-liter sometime.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Heck, I'll play along.

.22 LR in a pinch? Sure, but an M&P 9c is about the same size and a proven better stopper.

Some people don't like a manual safety and personally, I would not carry an M&P 22 without the manual safety engaged.

If it's your only gun sure, but if you have a choice, the question I have is- why would you limit yourself?

Do what you want, but if you ask the question, don't whine like a child when someone answers it.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    Let's ask this question... Does anyone want to be shot with a .22? NO! I say if your comfortable with the gun and want to carry it, then by all means do it. If I had a small .22 like the SR22 or S&W I'd carry it.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    22 LR isn't my first choice for SD. But, if it goes "bang" it might be more effective than a sharp stick. Like Bigtanker said, IF that .22 pistol is the only option you have, then carry it.

Top Bottom