• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am interested in picking up another snubbie. I've had them before and liked them but, you know, sometimes things get away. Anyway, being a fan of classic, i.e. older, guns I have been drawn to the model 49 and model 38 Smiths. Yesterday, at a local gun shop, the gunsmith at the shop told me to be wary of them because they are not rated for +P. The modern snubbies like the 442,etc. are okay, they just don't interest me as much as an older model. Plus, I like steel guns moreso then other alloys. So, what does INGO think?

For information purposes I will either get a hammerless or a shrouded hammer model.

Paging Kirk Freeman...

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I do like older snubbies and I really like old Colts. I am aware that you shouldn't shoot +P through old guns so I all of the .38 ammo I have is standard velocity.

Through a snubbie, all I want is standard velocity - especially in my LCR. I don't see how guys shoot those heavy loads in their light revolvers.

Also, Remington has a very nice 125gr. JHP load that I use. It has plenty of power to put down the bad guy, but won't tear up your old gun.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not that I'm trying to run you off from here, of course. :) I'm on the Smith forum also, and there is much more wheelgun love there than there is here.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I saw a 49 with a shrouded hammer at the pawn shop, but it was months ago. Almost got it. When Indiucky is not around

The Smith and Wesson Forum is my go-to place to get Smith-specific information.

FIFY:)

Saint Elmer Keith, Former Bishop of the Church of Smith and Wesson in his book "Sixguns" written in 1950 put 500 rounds through and alloy frame J frame and then measured the weapon and saw no appreciable wear to the weapon and seemed okay with it...Ofcourse Saint Elmer was also okay with taking 200 yard moving shots on mule deer with a revolver as well....

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I own more snubbies in 38/357 caliber than all other firearms. I have old Colts and Smith's but I personally love the Ruger 100 series pistols.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    There is no good reason to use a +P cartridge in a snub whether it is "rated" for it or not. The barrel is not long enough to gain anything useful and it will just make a lot of flash and wear the gun faster. +P ammo is 99% marketing.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    IIRC I worked with a fed in Baltimore circa 1966 who carried a S&W 442 "Centennial Model" except in those days the 442 had a grip safety in the backstrap. A few years later (1969) S&W offered the first stainless model 60's to BNDD agents (fore runner of DEA). Of course I took them up on it, and mine had a four digit serial number. So much for "new" designs.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am looking specifically for a J-frame.

For anything S&W revolver related, see Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester. He is a revolver man through and through. He is known as one of the top revolver smiths in the country. He also teaches a good snubbie class. He is a crusty old retired cop, but is a wealth of information.
    http://sandburrgunranch.com

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    For anything S&W revolver related, see Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester. He is a revolver man through and through. He is known as one of the top revolver smiths in the country. He also teaches a good snubbie class. He is a crusty old retired cop, but is a wealth of information.
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch

Agreed. Denny likes to talk, too. Only downside is that he's a bit of drive from where I live (Indy), but it's nice pleasant drive.
    When I there, he was pocket carrying a .44 magnum snubnose. A fella's got to have some dedication to wheel guns to do that.

Top Bottom