• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Hi guys i bought a 1911. I hate it for only one reason the beaver tail digs i the crotch of my thumb. I was wondering if there was a more rounded and curves upward than down a nicer beaver tail i can install on my RIA.

Is the 1911 interchangeable across the board or does each manufacturer drill holes differently.

Sorry first 1911. Looked but might have searched wrong wording for my problem

Bought this cheapy to see if i wanted to commit to more $$$$ 1911s for range time. I kinda like it so far except for that.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Hi guys i bought a 1911. I hate it for only one reason the beaver tail digs i the crotch of my thumb. I was wondering if there was a more rounded and curves upward than down a nicer beaver tail i can install on my RIA.

Is the 1911 interchangeable across the board or does each manufacturer drill holes differently.

Sorry first 1911. Looked but might have searched wrong wording for my problem

Bought this cheapy to see if i wanted to commit to more $$$$ 1911s for range time. I kinda like it so far except for that.

A safety will probably have to be hand fitted. I'm sure there are different beavertail safeties but not sure on the different feel to them other than the old GI style and the beavertail.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    some companies sell grip safeties that have a so called "thumb relief" but I found even those need to be shaped if you shoot with your thumb on top of the safety. If it were me I would carefully shape the one you have with a file until it suits you.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are several companies making beavertail safeties. They have different shapes. You might put your hands around a few and see if a different brand siuts you better. My personal hand is more comfotable with the Smith & Alexander design than the factory Springfield proportions. They are not difficult to replace on a hand gun that already has one provided because the frame already has the horns cut off the back of the frame. They are not really hard to fit, especially if you have the old one to compare measurments.

Some manufacturers have wide beavertail safeties that fit frames that still have the GI shape rear frame horns. I never felt any of these that were not terrible, incuding the ones from COLT. If your frame does not have the radiused rear horns, fins someone with a guide jig and get them cut down.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If it is a standard G.I. grip safety then you need to grind the square corners off of the bottom. We don't know what you actually have. If you really want a "shoot it all day in comfort gun" - have a beavertail grip safety fitted by someone who knows how. If you buy a grip safety and just drop it in - good luck. It might actually work. Every part on a 1911 really needs to be fitted properly. A 1911 is NOT an AR or a Glock.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You say RIA so I'm going to bet you'll have to fit the new beavertail to the gun. Most have to be fit and should be done by a competent smith.
    IF you have a factory GI Grip safety I feel your pain. I always hated those.
    IF you have the "upgraded" smooth, actual beavertail I'd do what Allen M recommended and reshape to fit you.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Thabks for the feed back yes it is the gi tail on it now it just feels uncomfortable to shoot atm. But if a different tail feels better and makes it a joy. Then the 1911 may become one of my favorites to shoot at the range.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have 2 of the RIA's in the tactical setup, they have the extended beaver tails. Much more enjoyable to shoot than the gi version.
    You can get them from RIA's web site. Would still require fitting though

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    How far from the Franklin /Trafalgar area you ? I have a Wilson Beavertail semi drop in that should fit with out modification to the frame [my need fit to trigger bar ] If you want to check it out ' Send a PM

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I haven't found my thumbpecker so I'm assuming I have a girly thumb.

Not sure how I feel about that. :(

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    The GI Grip safety looks like a little tang that sticks you in the "crotch" of you thumb or webbing of your hand. If this is the case, then you need to purchase a "Beavertail" grip safety which is clearly physically different and will protect your webbing from the hammer as the hammer locks back in a recess in the beavertail. Purchase a jig and a good metal file (less than $10 for the file and about $30 for the jig) and fit it yourself. the process takes a good couple hours of filing to get everything rounded but the result is extremely worthwhile.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I cant remember who makes it, but there is a company that makes a drop in beavertail for the 1911. It doesnt look quite as sexy as a good, custom fit one, but does get the job done. Fitting a frame for one isnt as hard as you might think, with the right jig for the safety you intend ot install. Fairly simple operation to fit it at home with a file, some patience, and a little time. The only thing that would be left would be re-parkerizing it, and even that itsnt very difficult to accomplish with basic household things and the right solutions.

Top Bottom