GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll admit I'm first attracted by the looks and feel but if the weapon has a bad reputation for function, I'll steer clear of it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It has to function everytime.

It has to function everytime in order to hit the target.

It has to function everytime in order to hit the target and have the ability to obtain extra mags to hit more targets.

It has to function everytime in order to hit the target and have the ability to obtain extra mags to hit more targets. Having the correct feel in my hand makes every work toghther.

And lastly it's a GLOCK so of course it looks good. :):

Edit: I read this post to my Wife and she reminded me about her reading the book "THERE WAS AN OLD LADY THAT SAWLLOWED A FLY" out loud about ten times last night to our grandchildren. Whoops.......

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Has to be reliable

second you need to be able to support the system. (Mags and Holsters)

accuracy is somewhat subjective

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Obviously function is number one, I don't think anybody is buying a gun and saying who cares if it works. Next for me would be feel. I like a gun to fit good in my hand and point naturally. I know that you can train and learn to shoot any gun and I believe that, but if I point one naturally better with out having to train myself on it then I would think that if you get into a SHTF situation it would be better to have a gun that points naturally for me rather than one that I had to train with just to get comfortable with it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It has to function (which includes "accuracy," imho, another poll option).

It also has to have aftermarket support, because it's going to be USED. You need parts. You need mags. You need several kinds of holsters. Lack of supply will limit use.

For a working pistol, I don't care :twocents: about looks. Form follows function. However, for "fun" pieces, for "collection" pieces, etc. looks can play a part.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Feel goes to bottom of the list for me. A better way to think about this is fit. Fit, can affect effective accuracy if it determines how your finger interfaces with the trigger. Why does it go to the bottom of the list me? I have smurf hands and pistols simply do not fit me well. I have simply learned to shoot over the years. Just this summer I took my own advice (actually an instructor whom I respect advice) and started modifying some of my guns for fit. I think it has helped. My "accuracy" was already OK but now it is just that much easier.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    For me the number one factor for my carry gun was function and reliability, but all of the others follow very closely behind.

My first carry gun was a Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro. It was a great first gun b/c it had a safety and decocker which I appreciated when I was new to guns.

The problem was, holsters were really tough to find, mags were really expensive and I started seeing reliability issues once I started using it a bit harder. I knew I wanted to start training and the Bersa (for me) wasn't up to the challenge. I wanted something I could abuse while being able to stock up on mags and a variety of different holsters.

Ultimately I landed on a Glock 19, so clearly looks aren't that important to me. Function is No. 1, but the rest follow closely behind.

crazybear29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2014
    NW Indiana
    For a carry gun function is tops by a fair margin. For a range toy though I'd prioritize feel and accuracy, provided it doesn't malf more than once per hundred or so rounds (in which case it better look really nice).

Edit: if I think about it, it's really the rare piece you run into that just doesn't function well these days.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    All of the things listed are important, but only two of the options will really matter if you ever have to use it to defend yourself or someone else... Function and Accuracy. Yet, depending on how you look at it, accuracy could be classified under function. So in the end, and with only one choice, function matters most to me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am still trying to understand why "looks" is even on that list. Form follows function kids - not the other way around.... Would you go along with the idea that the Dept. of Defense (formerly known as the War Dept. until Washington stopped declaring wars) should buy a specific type of cruise missile based on the way it "looks"? Madness....

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If by "Function" you mean does it consistently perform as intended then lack of "Function" becomes a firm disqualifier.

I start with a caliber in mind and then look for a handgun in that caliber.

I then look for a handgun that offers the features I want (e.g. mag capacity, slide lock on empty, replaceable sights, accessory availability, etc).

That narrows the field enough to consider reliability and reputation (reviews).

That further narrows the field enough to consider how the handgun "feels" (e.g. grip, reaching the controls, etc) and how it looks (finish, etc).

Finally, I consider price; not just whether the price represents "fair market value" but whether the handgun is worth that amount to me today.

Ok, truthfully if it looks neat and I have the money it is coming home with me. :spend:
    I do try to pay attention to a firearm's reputation for consistent functionality though.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am still trying to understand why "looks" is even on that list. Form follows function kids - not the other way around.... Would you go along with the idea that the Dept. of Defense (formerly known as the War Dept. until Washington stopped declaring wars) should buy a specific type of cruise missile based on the way it "looks"? Madness....
    Some people buy guns to shoot for fun, not just to carry them.

Top Bottom