• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    New to the hobby of shooting and just have to ask what makes these guns so special? I know of the Glcok people and the 1911 fanatics and myself have joined them both. But have never even shot one of the CZ models and just would like to know the features and benefits that they provide? Thanks:ar15:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    For me, the two main things that stand out are:

1) The slide sits INSIDE the frame, not on top of it. It might seem awkward at first to get a good purchase on the slide to rack it, but it's something you quickly appreciate because it lowers the bore axis, which IMO = much softer recoil, which also = much quicker follow-up shots.

2) Grip angle, and the way it feels in your hand. Many have reported that these benefits translate into very quick success at the range. And really, be it one of their all-metal guns, or one of the polymer models, they feel amazing in hand. For me, they point very naturally without having to cock my wrist.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    Besides the 2 great reasons mentioned already:

3. Parts Support/Custimization - Glocks and 1911's tend to rule this area but there is quite a bit you can do to make them "you're perfect setup". Cajun Gun Works leas the way in trigger work and there is a ridiculous amount of grip panel options.

4. Accuracy - The inside slide/rail fit lends itself to greater inherent accuracy. It's not a miracle worker, but most novice shooters will look pretty good shooting a CZ 75.

5. Reliability - Many of there models are NATO certified and can take a beating. They are not ammo picky and can probably outlast you. A good gun to pass down.

6. Quality/Price - The price on CZ does fluctuate, but it is difficult to find a better bang for your buck, especially with the CZ 75 clones. CZ doesn't make junk, and if there is a problem, they have great CS to fix the problem.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will come up with more reasons.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You just need to shoot one to understand it. It's the dark, dirty secret of the US gun world (in Europe, they're more widely known).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    CZs seem to be a love them or hate them kinda pistol. Personally I love them and for me they are the most accurate shooting pistols I own. Its really easy to be accurate with a CZ and the steel framed guns have an old world cool style factor that modern poly guns lack. Of course they do have modern poly guns as well with the P-07 and P-09 being the flagship in that regard. Along with rifles, and shotguns CZ really does make something for everyone.

MiNDRiVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What makes them work for me is you can get basically any pistol they sell in a da/sa decocker. Started shooting sigs first and cz's were the natural progression for me. Some people complain about the weight of a steel framed pistol but it doesn't bother me one bit.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    i recently bought a 75b eith omega trigger and the first time i shot it i was amazed! decent accuracy with cheap ammo, softer recoil and both the dougle and single action were unbeleivablely smooth. I eneded up selling my glock 19 and bought a cz 2075 rami for carry.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I carry my CZ 97B every day. It's just a little bigger & heavier than a 1911 but offers 10+1 capacity (45ACP) and the option of double action first shot OR cocked and locked (my choice) with no grip safety. A very solid and accurate pistol. At first there wasn't a good selection of holsters for CZs but that's improving greatly now, especially for the CZ75 series. The 97 is harder to find accessories for. I just like the feel of an all steel pistol and am willing to carry the weight.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One of the things I like about CZs is how configurable they are. Not only can you get the same basic model done a bunch of different ways from the factory, but you can make them fit you after the fact too. Neither the Glock or 1911 can be easily modified to go from being a DA/SA pistol to a SAO pistol. You can do that with a CZ with one part. If you carry a Glock a lot, you can carry the CZ in a way that has an almost identical trigger pull in terms of length of pull and weight, but with a much better feel (safety off, hammer at the half cock notch).

In a lot of ways, it's the ultimate 9mm pistol. Capacity is great, reliability is just as good as, if not better than, a Glock 19 and the feel in the hand is second to none. Until a couple of years ago, you could pick them up for chump change. The prices are going up a bit, but they are still a heck of a good deal. I really should keep my eyes open for a polished stainless 75b and sell of the Glock 19s I have.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    My cousin bought one as his first gun. I had never held one before, but was definitely impressed after shooting it. It felt really solid in the hand.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Between true CZ's and their clones, like Tanfoglio Witness, Canik 55, and other guns that draw from their design and function like some of Sarsilmaz's offerings you can find pretty much what you want. At a good price point, in almost any caliber you could want, with all the features you want.

Like others said, Ergonomics, just hold a true CZ, then hold some clones, and a glock or sig. Functionality/features, decocker, SA/DA, SAO can carry cocked and locked, half cock, etc. Upgraded parts, really make them shine. Some of the mags are interchangeable between a few clones and true CZ's. Easy to shoot and low recoil, from reasons already mentioned upthread.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had not shot a CZ 75 in years until this week. Some friends let me try 4 different ones, compact and full size. One of them was heavily tuned and had a single action trigger that was like my best target revolver trigger job. The double action pull had a nice over centering feel like a good set of cams on a custom compound bow, so it is really easy to stage and break at a precise point. I remember liking them years ago, My opinion is still really positive. The low bore center really works, even the compact had very little muzzle rise.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What's the INGO collective wisdom about a pre-B CZ-75?

Collectivism is far and away not hardly found on INGO. Wisdom... there is some once in a while. ;)

Pre-B's? I have three (and always looking to add another). A guy here has refurbed a couple with ceracoat, his name is Tim on other boards 88E30M55 here(ithink). I'm sure there are more.

All I can say about the Pre B is that it is my favorite pistol model that I can get. A sig P210 is out of reach, so I'll have to wait a bit for one if I ever do find one. Until then, I will continue to buy a decent priced pre B when they cross my path. (I've even paid a bit more than decent price for my last one).

If you find one that's not a basket case, I recommend that you buy it. If you hate it, I'll buy it from you probably.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Collectivism is far and away not hardly found on INGO. Wisdom... there is some once in a while. ;)

Pre-B's? I have three (and always looking to add another). A guy here has refurbed a couple with ceracoat, his name is Tim on other boards 88E30M55 here(ithink). I'm sure there are more.

All I can say about the Pre B is that it is my favorite pistol model that I can get. A sig P210 is out of reach, so I'll have to wait a bit for one if I ever do find one. Until then, I will continue to buy a decent priced pre B when they cross my path. (I've even paid a bit more than decent price for my last one).

If you find one that's not a basket case, I recommend that you buy it. If you hate it, I'll buy it from you probably.

Reporting as ordered sir!

What's the INGO collective wisdom about a pre-B CZ-75?

They are among my favorite guns to shoot. As LEaSH mentioned above, I was lucky enough to pick up 3 when they could be found cheaply and refurbished them all. Two of them went to my son's for Christmas presents and the third is still mine. I was able to take it out for a bit of exercise yesterday and even though it was a cold, wet Halloween, it was still a great time shooting it. The big difference between the B and the pre-B are in sights, trigger guard, mags and the firing pin safety. The firing pin safety is not something I feel strongly about either way. My Compact 75B has one and it works fine and my pre-B does not have one and it also works fine as well. Personally, I prefer the rounded trigger guard of the pre-B over the contour of the B but it really does not make a huge difference. The mags can be a pain since the pre-B has a slightly smaller mag well and most B mags will not fit without modification of the frame. The modification is not hard to do and once done, opens the pre-B guns up to many more mags. All of mine have been modified and work well with the MecGar 16 rounders but for some reason don't like the MecGar 17 rounders. I have not checked lately, but a little while ago, CZ released new pre-B 16 round magazines with a nice rubber end plate for around $25 each. Those make the pre-Bs more attractive as you can buy fresh mags with a 16 round capacity that work just fine in unmodified pre-B CZs.

The sights present a bigger issue if you are a fan of night sights. The front sight on the pre-B guns are milled into the slide and would require significant modification to addapt a dovetailed night sight. There is not much metal there to cut a dovetail into and it could affect the hardened area around the muzzle. The rear sight may or may not be a stock CZ dovetail depending on the year of manufacture. My '88 has a smaller dovetail where as my son's '92 and '89 both have the later style. That said, the sights on the pre-B are actually very good. The front sight is finely milled with a slot cut that takes nail polish very well. The aft face of the front sight is angled and when the slot if filled with bright yellow nail polish, it is among the best of the sights I have on any of my pistols. The rear sight is a two dot type that works well enough for me. Lately, I run with the yellow front and blacked out rear sights and find it pretty easy to pick the front sight up. While at the range yesterday, I was comparing shooting my pre-B CZ, CZ 75B Compact, Glock 19 and Glock 27 with a 9mm conversion barrel and found that even though the Glock 19 and 27 both have XS Big Dots, I could shoot the pre-B faster and more accurately than either.

Aftermarket support for the pre-B is pretty much the same as it is for the later guns. Both of my son's pre-B CZs sport full SAO conversions, adjustable sears and competition hammers. Sooner or later, my pre-B will get CajunGunWorks love as well.

Here's my pre-B as bought:

Here's as it is today:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Reporting as ordered sir!

They are among my favorite guns to shoot. As LEaSH mentioned above, I was lucky enough to pick up 3 when they could be found cheaply and refurbished them all. Two of them went to my son's for Christmas presents and the third is still mine. I was able to take it out for a bit of exercise yesterday and even though it was a cold, wet Halloween, it was still a great time shooting it. The big difference between the B and the pre-B are in sights, trigger guard, mags and the firing pin safety. The firing pin safety is not something I feel strongly about either way. My Compact 75B has one and it works fine and my pre-B does not have one and it also works fine as well. Personally, I prefer the rounded trigger guard of the pre-B over the contour of the B but it really does not make a huge difference. The mags can be a pain since the pre-B has a slightly smaller mag well and most B mags will not fit without modification of the frame. The modification is not hard to do and once done, opens the pre-B guns up to many more mags. All of mine have been modified and work well with the MecGar 16 rounders but for some reason don't like the MecGar 17 rounders. I have not checked lately, but a little while ago, CZ released new pre-B 16 round magazines with a nice rubber end plate for around $25 each. Those make the pre-Bs more attractive as you can buy fresh mags with a 16 round capacity that work just fine in unmodified pre-B CZs.

The sights present a bigger issue if you are a fan of night sights. The front sight on the pre-B guns are milled into the slide and would require significant modification to addapt a dovetailed night sight. There is not much metal there to cut a dovetail into and it could affect the hardened area around the muzzle. The rear sight may or may not be a stock CZ dovetail depending on the year of manufacture. My '88 has a smaller dovetail where as my son's '92 and '89 both have the later style. That said, the sights on the pre-B are actually very good. The front sight is finely milled with a slot cut that takes nail polish very well. The aft face of the front sight is angled and when the slot if filled with bright yellow nail polish, it is among the best of the sights I have on any of my pistols. The rear sight is a two dot type that works well enough for me. Lately, I run with the yellow front and blacked out rear sights and find it pretty easy to pick the front sight up. While at the range yesterday, I was comparing shooting my pre-B CZ, CZ 75B Compact, Glock 19 and Glock 27 with a 9mm conversion barrel and found that even though the Glock 19 and 27 both have XS Big Dots, I could shoot the pre-B faster and more accurately than either.

Aftermarket support for the pre-B is pretty much the same as it is for the later guns. Both of my son's pre-B CZs sport full SAO conversions, adjustable sears and competition hammers. Sooner or later, my pre-B will get CajunGunWorks love as well.

Here's my pre-B as bought:

Here's as it is today:

Thank you for your impressions! I have a line on one that appears to be in great condition (no import marks that I've seen), and now I know a little more about them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glad to be able to help. The pre-B CZs can be some of the best deals out there. The one above would be close to having been a basket case, yet has turned into one of the best shooting pistols I own, even though it still retains all significant original parts. When I got it, you could not remove the barrel from the slide due to a large ding in the end of the barrel that prevented it from going through the slide bushing. It felt as if it had been lubed with sand and dirt for it's entire life yet with mostly elbow grease and fresh springs, it came back from the brink of being a parts gun. The point I'm trying to make is that even a rough, beat up CZ can come back to life with very little invested. As long as the barrel is decent and the basics are there, you can work with the rest.

Top Bottom