S&W Bodyguard 380 for home defense (opinions welcome)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My father in-law doesn’t have his Larry. We go to the range, and he keeps a pistol for home defense. Earlier this year he got bit by a dog on the hand, and it jacked up his index finger. The DA revolver isn’t fun for him to shoot anymore.

He keeps mentioning the S&W Bodyguard 380. Seeing as this is going to be a range toy/home defense firearm, I’m trying to talk him out of the 380. Am I off base on this one? It seems to me that he would be better served by something with a longer sight radius, and a little heavier.

I’m open to things I can suggest to him. I’d like to get him into 9mm at a minimum. He wants something American made (I’m the crazy son-in-law with a Croatian gun), and not super expensive.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The Bodyguard .380 is not a fun range gun. In my opinion it is too small and snappy to really enjoy shooting just for fun.

If he's looking for range and home defense options a .357 revolver with a 4-5 inch barrel might fit the bill. It can be loaded with .38 spl if recoil is an issue. And he can cock the hammer for single action to help him shoot with his finger issues. Plenty of USA made revolvers out there.

Over penetration could be an issue, depending on if he's in an apartment or not, but a .380 will also go right through a wall, so not much difference in that respect.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree with MC. Something relatively heavy will mitigate recoil issues. I also like the SA option a revolver offers. Followup shots could be an issue if he has trouble with heavy triggers.

If he can work an auto and is otherwise OK except for his finger, Look at a full size Glock or even a 1911. light trigger pull for his finger and weight of a full size gun will help with followup shots.

380 isnt a BAD round, but I would only recommend 380 because he HAD to conceal. In this instance, concealment is far from the picture since he wont be carrying it. Go big and stay home!:):

And dont forget if the finger is TOO jacked up, practice with off hand shooting may also be required. With training his off hand could transition to his strong hand.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ruger LC9s.

Just buy it and you will thank me. So will he. Trigger and ergos are amazing!

thats funny. When he originally mentioned something small, I thought he was going to get his license, and this is what I suggested.

The Bodyguard .380 is not a fun range gun. In my opinion it is too small and snappy to really enjoy shooting just for fun.

If he's looking for range and home defense options a .357 revolver with a 4-5 inch barrel might fit the bill. It can be loaded with .38 spl if recoil is an issue. And he can cock the hammer for single action to help him shoot with his finger issues. Plenty of USA made revolvers out there.

Over penetration could be an issue, depending on if he's in an apartment or not, but a .380 will also go right through a wall, so not much difference in that respect.

at our last range day, I brought out a GP100 but I think he's done with revolvers. He owns a S&W J frame, and I've thought about having a gunsmith lighten it up, but I'm afraid to get it as light as he wants it, we'll lose reliability. That's part of the reason for looking at striker-fired guns.

I agree with MC. Something relatively heavy will mitigate recoil issues. I also like the SA option a revolver offers. Followup shots could be an issue if he has trouble with heavy triggers.

If he can work an auto and is otherwise OK except for his finger, Look at a full size Glock or even a 1911. light trigger pull for his finger and weight of a full size gun will help with followup shots.

380 isnt a BAD round, but I would only recommend 380 because he HAD to conceal. In this instance, concealment is far from the picture since he wont be carrying it. Go big and stay home!:):

And dont forget if the finger is TOO jacked up, practice with off hand shooting may also be required. With training his off hand could transition to his strong hand.

You and I are on the same page regarding the 380. It has a place, just not for home defense unless there is some other limiting factor. The Glock is a no go, and he won't spend enough to get a decent 1911. Although a single stack 1911 might be just about ideal.

The Bodyguard is not what I'd pick for home defense or a range gun. I'd go with an M&P 9. There were a couple in the classifieds for $400 or so.

I've thrown out the M&p line, but he hasn't bitten.

i appreciate all of the suggestions. We're all thinking along the same lines. Hopefully I can get him steered in the right direction.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    why no Glock love?

Hey! They just DONT know any better. ;)

My GF and Mother both have a Bodyguard 380. They are snappy and also loud as %*$ when they go bang. It definitely is NOT the 9mm pop. Short barrel and 9mm on steroids.... Bodyguard .380

For home they are just fine and I even have a Glock 42 as backup to my Glock 30SF and 26.

All Kinds of love here for Glock. Hugs & Kisses....to Glock.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    why no Glock love?

Even though they are made stateside now, it is still not an "American" gun. That's his reason for being against them.
    for me, it's all about the grip angle. other than that, I can't say a negetive thing about them.

Hey! They just DONT know any better. ;)

My GF and Mother both have a Bodyguard 380. They are snappy and also loud as %*$ when they go bang. It definitely is NOT the 9mm pop. Short barrel and 9mm on steroids.... Bodyguard .380

For home they are just fine and I even have a Glock 42 as backup to my Glock 30SF and 26.

All Kinds of love here for Glock. Hugs & Kisses....to Glock.

it is the snap that has me steering him away from them. For what he wants to do with it, I think he would be better off with something larger, and less snappy.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    What about a "P" series Ruger, these can be found used fairly cheap? Another is the S&W 3rd generation SA's, a bit more than the Rugers but reasonable. I have two of the Rugers and three Smiths and they are easy to shoot and totally reliable. No, none of them are for sale now or ever. Jim.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What about a "P" series Ruger, these can be found used fairly cheap? Another is the S&W 3rd generation SA's, a bit more than the Rugers but reasonable. I have two of the Rugers and three Smiths and they are easy to shoot and totally reliable. No, none of them are for sale now or ever. Jim.

P89, P91, etc could be a non starter due to the heavy DA pull on the first round. Other than that you are correct. SOLID guns, easy to shoot, and can be had for under 300 in some cases. I have an 89 and LOVE it. Its fun to shoot. He probably needs to stick to a striker fired weapon though so he isnt worried about that first DA pull.

As far as cost Moose, what about a ruger 1911? solid guns, american made, and not overly expensive. Im sure CM and other 1911 fans can recommend other inexpensive domestic 1911s that arent horrid.

And not to derail, but very little is 100% american made anymore... Either its american and assembled overseas, or owned by an overseas company and assembled here. Both often have foreign components inside. If I were him I'd be more worried about function than its origin with his limits. (inexpensive, light trigger, etc)

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Looking for an American made gun with a "good" trigger and everyone is stumped. That's funny. ;)

I wouldn't say everyone is stumped, there are some really good options we need to look into. I will say that it makes things slightly more difficult.
    I think right now I need to have a conversation, and try to figure out exactly where his list of requirements is coming from. I'm guessing a lot of it is coming from cost, but my wife and I are going to help with that as a Christmas present.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And not to derail, but very little is 100% american made anymore... Either its american and assembled overseas, or owned by an overseas company and assembled here. Both often have foreign components inside. If I were him I'd be more worried about function than its origin with his limits. (inexpensive, light trigger, etc)

You and I are on the same page. We're going to help him out with this purchase as a Christmas present this year. I'm hoping that opens the choices up a bit.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    My father in-law doesn’t have his Larry. We go to the range, and he keeps a pistol for home defense. Earlier this year he got bit by a dog on the hand, and it jacked up his index finger. The DA revolver isn’t fun for him to shoot anymore.

He keeps mentioning the S&W Bodyguard 380. Seeing as this is going to be a range toy/home defense firearm, I’m trying to talk him out of the 380. Am I off base on this one? It seems to me that he would be better served by something with a longer sight radius, and a little heavier.

I’m open to things I can suggest to him. I’d like to get him into 9mm at a minimum. He wants something American made (I’m the crazy son-in-law with a Croatian gun), and not super expensive.

I don't have any trigger time on the bodyguard but i do on the ruger lcp. If he cant handle a revolver double action trigger pull why would he want one in semi auto. I just spent the day at the range shooting a ruger gp100, glock 23/26, tuarus 24/7 in 45acp (interesting gun its 10shot 45acp in about the size of a glock 26) and..... a ruger lcp in 380.

The ruger lcp by far is the snappiest and least enjoyable. If he doesn't plan to edc it (no ltch) why would you not want a full size handgun. If trigger pull and weight is a problem i would go with something like 1911/cz75/Hipower (with trigger work).

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any trigger time on the bodyguard but i do on the ruger lcp. If he cant handle a revolver double action trigger pull why would he want one in semi auto. I just spent the day at the range shooting a ruger gp100, glock 23/26, tuarus 24/7 in 45acp (interesting gun its 10shot 45acp in about the size of a glock 26) and..... a ruger lcp in 380.

The ruger lcp by far is the snappiest and least enjoyable. If he doesn't plan to edc it (no ltch) why would you not want a full size handgun. If trigger pull and weight is a problem i would go with something like 1911/cz75/Hipower (with trigger work).

The Ruger I'd like him to look at is actually the LC9S. It is supposed to be a much improved version of the LC9. As for the size, you and I are in complete agreement. For what he says he's going to do with it, full size seems like the more logical choice.

Top Bottom