• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just thought I would share this experience with everyone. I purchased a new Sig 938 about two years ago and have had about 4-500 rounds through it without issue. I went to the range this past weekend and shot about 50 rounds when I ran into a big problem. Mid-magazine, something went wrong with the mainspring/sear/trigger bar/ejector combination. The trigger locked, the hammer wouldn't drop, and I was SOL. Keep in mind, I was shooting standard pressure 124 gr. bullets and normal grip. Once it was taken apart, the ejector wouldn't move down far enough to get the slide back on.

I got it back home where I was able to completely disassemble the gun... anyone that knows Mustang Pocketlites or P238s probably knows how much "fun" these are to put back together. By the grace of God, I was able to reassemble it to working condition. I took it out again and put 75 rounds through without any issues.

Has anyone else experienced this with their P938 (or P238 or Pocketlite)? It was definitely a catastrophic failure. I love this pistol but I don't feel comfortable carrying it after the experience. I'm now wondering if maybe I should sell it...

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty confident that wasn't the problem. I've cleaned enough guns that I would notice that something was wrong during reassembly. You would have to be pretty deliberate to get it to come apart in those areas. The Sear, Ejector, and corresponding springs all rest below the hammer and in the grip itself. I took a picture and will post later.

Besides, it made it through a few magazines before I had the issue. During reassembly I learned pretty quickly that they have to be exactly in the correct positions or the hammer/trigger will not function.

IMO, this was a serious malfunction of the gun, not user.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    2 - 238s one with lots and lots of round through it. never a failure with any kind of ammo. Have a 938 also, but not much time on it. A buddy has a 938 that shoots with me sometimes and the biggest problem he has is putting it back together after cleaning. It's so darn tight you have to push the chamber down slightly while putting the slide back on or you cannot get it back together. I do not recall him having any failures of the sort you describe though.

Top Bottom