• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Cut out a square of a playing card, use a hole punch for mag release, loosen grip and put card under, trace outline to fit, remove, cut out, use as template..... Cheaper than spending 14 bucks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IF you are that concerned about a scratch, maybe you shouldnt carry it and put it in a glass case instead? I dont have the idiot scratch on mine yet, but Im sure its only a matter of time. :dunno:

(full disclosure, my P91-DC DID have an idiot scratch... so I am not above making one:):)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I make them out of aluminum.. There IS a way to avoid the problem without the tool. PM me and stop by Parabellum when I'm there and I'll show you.

NRA Life Member-- GSSF member
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic

NRA Basic pistol instructor Certified Glock armorer

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IF you are that concerned about a scratch, maybe you shouldnt carry it and put it in a glass case instead? I dont have the idiot scratch on mine yet, but Im sure its only a matter of time. :dunno:

(full disclosure, my P91-DC DID have an idiot scratch... so I am not above making one:):)

95% of us have left "The mark of the idiot"............guilty as charged.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I put an idiot scratch in one of mine once and it made me start shooting low, right.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I guess I have been doing something wrong...never used a tool or anything to protect the gun and don't have one on any of the guns I have or had and I have had many at this point...from relatively cheap to top shelf. But on some of the hardest to assemble, I removed the sharp edge on the back that would cause the "idiot" mark in the first place. My better guns already have that stuff worked over.

Mark

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have several boxes of old business cards that I use just for stuff like this. I also use them to wrap the slide in before clamping them into my sight pusher.

The Ultra tool looks nice though.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    "OMG...my 1911 has a scratch on it."

That's what I told myself the first time I put one in a duffle bag and it rubbed up against a tool kit.

Oddly enough, it still runs like a clock.

Anymore, I have about as much concern regarding scratches on my 1911 as I do on my hammer...but then again, I view both as tools. I'm more concerned about how they work vs how they look....and I do love how a certain old 1911 works!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My slide stop has a little bit machined off the back to make pushing it in easy without having to do anything special with the plunger. Never disassembled one that didn't have that admittedly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My son used to have the cleaning duty after shooting. He used my ammo and guns so he got to clean them. I had a "Brand New" Springer loaded in stainless. He blessed it with a serious idiot scratch.
    I love him. If I didn't.....well....you know.

Top Bottom