• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    At 13, raised in Texas, my first handgun had to be a Colt SAA in 32-20. It really wasn't mine, it was my step-father's. My older brother and I shot that thing several times a week as we could reload the 32-20 ourselves. I wore it to school on cowboy day. It had a matching 32-20 rifle. The promise was that my brother got the SAA and I was to get the rifle. That was all before my little brother arrived as the real son. The SAA fell off my step-father's truck fender going down the road. He sold it to a "friend" for pennies who wouldn't even speak to me when I offered to buy it for whatever he wanted. The rifle went to the real son and I'm still pissed to this day.
    I left shooting for 40 years and only returned when I discovered my son had a collection and loved to shoot. I had rented guns and bows and taken him out when he was 13 or 14, but we didn't own any. Get this guys, he took me to the SAR show 5 years ago and helped me pick up the sweetest little Ruger Mark II you've ever seen. Stainless Government Target with seven inch barrel and a red dot scope from that awesome couple at Bud's Gun. The scope let even these tired old eyes see the target in focus and I was hooked. I've since become an accumulator as my wife calls me. But there's no way anybody could get that first Ruger away from me. It means so much that my son was instrumental in getting me started again.
    I'm a very sentimental guy and the family connection in the two stories is what makes the intensity so high. One is a terrible story of loss and the other a wonderful story of a son teaching a father shooting. It has also meant that the two of us communicate much more regularly now on a topic we both love.
    Lost

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't think I was in THAT thread... :)

My first handgun that was mine was at 21. It was a Star B 9mm. I was great with long guns and had owned a few of them by 21 with the first of those being bought by Dad with my money at 8 yr old. I bought it the day I turned 21 and at an LGS I went to that was run by a Good Ole Boy, VietNam vet who wass my old Post Man and now was retired. He gave me a box of ammo for my birthday and since I didn't know much about them told me to bring it back after I had fired it s he could show me how to take it apart and clean it, which I did. I miss Tom, he died recently but we were always friends and I bough many other firearms from him since before he passed nd the shop closed.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    There's a thread for that. :D

Still a good story, with all the emotions in the proper order.

My first handgun was an 1860 BP revolver (big Josey Wales fan). I have since converted it to 45 Colt, and accumulated a few more wheel guns, but that one holds a special place in the safe.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    A little Jennings pocket .22 that had the serial number filed off. It jammed a lot and was very likely stolen.

As soon as I could buy a real gun, I ditched it.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    The first handgun purchased with my own money was a brand new High Standard Sport King with about a 4.5 inch barrel in .22 LR.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Gen 3 Glock 19

Same here. Never got into guns until 2013 when I was 46. Reading all the news stories of shootings and home invasions, I decided I needed a weapon for around the house. Buddy of mine recommended the G19 and I think it was a great recommendation. Didn't shoot it for 6 months, but as soon as I did I was hooked. Since that time my collection has grown, but I still love that G19 and still use it as my nightstand gun and occasionally as my EDC.

Top Bottom