• ...and so much more!
  • Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Hi everyone!

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere but i searched my butt off and didn't find anything related tho this problem. I thought this would have definitely been talked about somewhere for sure... anyway, here goes!

I have an LC9 that likes to misfeed when chambering the first round from a full 7rd factory mag. I bought it brand spankin new about a year ago, and this has happened since day one. At first i just chalked it up to needing broken in, but it continues. I have read that its common with JHP's, but mine does this with every type/brand of ammo I have tried. I normally carry 147gr Gold Dot and have tried about 10 different rounds, even regular ol' 115gr ball. The first round digs into the end of the ramp every time without fail. Well, I guess saying it fails without fail would be more accurate. It's only with the first round when the gun is cold. It cycles perfectly through the rest of a full mag, and I have never had any other malfunctions with the gun. I noticed at the range that the problem becomes intermittent after the gun is warmed up, but still occurs about 1/2 of the time.

I've fired about 500+ rounds through it (lost count, best guess), and my mags are pretty well broken in as well. After examining it a little more closely, it seems like the mags are not seating correctly. The mags lock in, but hang out of the well by about a millimeter, and when I press the mag in a little more, the jammed round chambers as it should. That is the part I can't figure out! Maybe I'm dumb, but if a mag seating issue were the cause, why would temperature make the problem go away?

Has this happened to any of you? If so, were you able to fix it? What are your experiences with the LC9?

I appreciate all of your input!
    RS

Update: 11/22/14. Just for the heck of it, I polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish and much to my surprise, the feeding issue went away! I tried and tried to replicate the problem to no avail. The vertical play in the mag still remains and I'm not sure why. Even with no ammo in the mag, it still has a bit of play, maybe 2mm.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Are you sure you are completely seating the mag each time?
    Does this happen if you insert the mag with the slide locked back?
    Does this issue occur if you only load 4 or 5 rounds in the mag?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Are you riding the slide home on the first chambering? If not chambering with a "slingshot" method or using the slide stop, but instead manually moving the slide back and forward, hangups happen pretty easily...

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    My LC9 only does it with JHP's, if I rack the slide to soft. I've been meaning to polish the ramp a bit. Sounds like yours is a bit more of a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to contact Ruger. I had a problem with the front sight shifting, and contacted them. They emailed me a shipping label, and I had it back in my hands within a week. No cost to me, and very pleased.

Last edited:

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Hi all! Thanks for your ideas. Yeah, I usually rack it with a "slingshot" motion and just let it snap. I think I will contact Ruger and see what they have to say about it. If I get some info to pass on, I will definitely post it here! Thanks again! -RS

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I bought my wife an LC9 and have had problems with failure to feed. We haven't even taken it to the range yet. Any updates on this?

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    My LCP did the same thing when I first got it. A new heavier recoil spring from Wolf took care of it. BTW, I sent it in for repair and Ruger put in a new heavier spring than the stock one.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    UPDATE. So, following the wicked smooth feed ramp polishing I did, I have taken the gun out and ran about 300 rds without a hitch. The feeding problem has disappeared, though the mag still doesn't seat all the way. It locks in, but still about a mm of play. All the ammo that previous hung up on first rack all chambered perfectly.

I also found that the gun loves 147gr. Not sure if its me or the gun, but 147gr. of any brand produce noticeably tighter groups for me. Especially GDHP's

So for now, I suppose I can say problem solved, and still not sure on the mag issue, but it really doesn't bother me that much. If I figure that one out, I will update again.

-RS

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I have 115gr Hornady Critical Defense and wen I get to about 5 on the magazine I notice the rounds don't sit at the right angle. I loaded the mags with 115gr ball ammo and it fed the ammo manually just fine. I am going to see what types of rounds my LGS that look closer to the ball ammo but are still great self defense rounds

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    I have the same issue with both of my LC9 magazines. I sent Ruger an email last night. When the mag is full the round does not exit the mag at the proper angle, and stops at the bottom of the ramp. This happens on all ammo, not just JHP. Round nose hit's the ramp low, but is able to make it up and chamber. I came across a video on youtube, this guy shows exactly what is happening. This seems to be a common problem with some of the LC9 magazines. I have never had an issue with Ruger, but it's frustrating that they have not addressed this issue, as far as I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIZTVfIuGgM

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have the same issue with both of my LC9 magazines. I sent Ruger an email last night. When the mag is full the round does not exit the mag at the proper angle, and stops at the bottom of the ramp. This happens on all ammo, not just JHP. Round nose hit's the ramp low, but is able to make it up and chamber. I came across a video on youtube, this guy shows exactly what is happening. This seems to be a common problem with some of the LC9 magazines. I have never had an issue with Ruger, but it's frustrating that they have not addressed this issue, as far as I know.

Is anyone making an aftermarket mag for them?

Eaglejet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012

I also had the problem. Ruger took it back no questions asked. Got it back today. They polished the ramp and replaced the mag release and spring. So far so good but want to run some rounds through it

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Bummer. I was looking into one of these. The LGS keeps pushing the body guard ( that they have in stock...)

I am a Ruger fan, and would not have any problem purchasing another LC9. Although a lot of guys are switching to the LC9s, I like the features of my LC9. I have never had a misfire in either my LC9 or SR9c. The only problem is getting that first defensive round to chamber when (slingshot) racking it . I have no doubt Ruger will take care of it. My only issue is this seems to be a common and serious problem, and a recall might have been in order. (I work with a guy who has one though, and he does not have this problem.) It's a pretty serious problem for someone who might need to use their weapon, does not keep a round in the chamber, and the defensive round won't climb the ramp into the chamber.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Bummer. I was looking into one of these. The LGS keeps pushing the body guard ( that they have in stock...)

I have to agree with Hoosier21. I'd buy this gun again. Don't let these issues scare you off. It's got it's quirks, but once you get it figured out, it's a fine CC pistol. Just my opinion here, but I tried a Bodyguard once, and that was enough for me. The trigger flat out sucked. Not sure what the actual lbs. of pull it was. I bought the LC9 specifically for the long heavier pull I wanted in my CC, but that Bodyguard was just ridiculous.

I've been considering buying one of the LC9S versions. Soon as one comes up for rent, I'm gonna try it out.

Top Bottom