• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    Im looking into getting my first concealed carry gun. I have looked amd held a few different generation glocks, Sig Sauer P250, and a few others. I shoot left handed and so far the most comfortable is the FNS-9mm. It fits my hands the best out of all the guns I have held and shot. I like the FNS-9mm since it is full ambidextrous and I dont have to change the mag release from one side to the other. The Beretta 92 compact was also really nice but it seemed extremely heavy. I would like a gun that would fit on the inside of my waistband preferably. Any suggestions?

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    When I CC, I carry my 5" XD IWB. My roommate carries his fullsized 1911 IWB.

So it really come down to what you are comfortable with. Carry what feels/shoots best for you and dress around it is my :twocents:

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    Wat does IWB stand for? Knowing my luck I know what it is Im just not thinking of it lol I put my brothers glock 19 on and he has an inside and outside holster and I tried both on and it was pretty comfortable till trying to get in and out of the driver seat of a car. It was on my left hip and when I would get out it would hit the pillar of my door and jab me in the side

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    IWB stands for inside the waistband, and I carry an XDm 3.8 compact in .40S&W IWB without any problems. A good holster will make a world of difference for IWB carrying. I prefer the hybrid style holster, and I have a Vedder holster.

Last edited:

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    IWB stands for In Waist Band. I usually have mine positioned just about over my back pocket. Keeps it out of the way for the most part and still fairly easy to get to. And it conceals really well when paired with a big/long shirt. This is just what I use on the rare-ish occasions that I CC, and I can't really speak for any other methods of CC. I'm sure someone will be along that knows way more than me.

And :welcome: to :ingo:

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Feeling comfortable grip wise is very important but the weight can also be important when you're dealing with recoil. The small light guns can have lots of recoil compared to a heavier gun that will absorb a lot of it.

Make sure it feels ok and that you can also shoot it well.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A good gunbelt and holster will be able to support pretty much any handgun you choose to carry. It sounds like you.'ve found something you're comfortable with. I'd stick with that and accessorize from there.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I carry a Sig SP2022. I have a iwb and owb. When I want a good concealment its iwb. I like the iwb holster a little more towards my side rather then over my back pocket. Weight is an issue and depending on where its positioned helps with that. If the FNS feels good then that's what I would get. Being comfortable with your companion is important. You will be spending a lot of time together. Take any handgun classes you can and shoot/ practice a lot. Always be aware of your surroundings, such as exists and who's around you. Remember carrying a hand gun is a huge responsibility and enjoy!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The others have pretty much covered you pretty well. If you think the FNS-9 is best for you, that might be the one. If you can, rent it somewhere, or see if someone on here will meet you so you can shoot it. Try to shoot other guns as well before making up your mind. If you still think it's the one, wear it how it best works for you. In this kind of weather, it's pretty easy to get away with carrying OWB with a jacket, sweater or long shirt covering it. When it gets warmer, IWB is best for concealment. You might have to buy a size larger pants to accommodate your new companion. I could never end up getting used to having a Glock 19 IWB and ended up getting a Shield 9mm. Thin enough I could carry it with my standard jeans/pants, but the trade off was I was reduced to 8 rounds capacity. I feel the trade off was worthwhile, but while that works for me, it might not work for someone else. You just have to do what makes you comfortable, not anyone else.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Shoot every gun you can get your hands on before buying. The more time you spend now the more money you will save not having to switch guns later.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I currently carry a glock 19. I use a IWB holster ( for some reason im drawing a blank on the brand right now.. ) this set up works good in the winter months. Im looking to get into a .38 for the summer time. I like the glock because its light but not too light, and I get to keep a high round capacity. And its nothing to just carry another mag in your pocket if needed. The glock also fits my hand great. My grandpa carried a Kahr in 9mm I believe. Those guns are very narrow and work great with IWB holsters.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    I always say that when it comes down to CC and personal protection, buy and carry what you are most comfortable and proficient with. If it is not comfortable, you won't carry it.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    You will be surprised on how large of a firearm you can carry comfortably and conceal very well with a good belt and holster. My EDC is a Dan Wesson Guardian but I can easily carry my Sig 226 and no one can tell.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    In order to effectively conceal carry you have to start with the basics, for years I did not understand how important was to have a good belt to support the weight of the gun and holster. Second a good holster or holsters is a must have since (I did not say expensive) is important to secure your weapon, with that said I carried a full size M&P during the summer without any issues as long like I said I had a good holster and belt. When I need something smaller I carry a G26 gen 4 (I even pocket carry sometimes with the right pants), like other mention try some handguns possible and see what feels good in your hand. Some of us would be more than happy to let you try our handguns so let me know if you wish to try either my M&P or G26.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry a Glock 23. It fits perfectly iwb and dissappears with a hoodie or a baggy shirt.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I really like my G23. In my mind, it's the best CC pistol out there since it combines a strong caliber, decent capacity and reasonable concealability. I carry mine OWB and simply cover it with a jacket or untucked shirt. It's a gun that I shoot well and I feel that I give up nothing when I carry one.

When considering what to carry, weight plays some role, but a heavy gun can be carried comfortably with good carry gear. And you want good carry gear regardless of the weight of the gun, so weight should not be the main consideration when choosing a gun. A heavy gun is easier to shoot than a light gun and the ability to hit your target is the most important choice in choosing a carry gun.

DonkeyKong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2014
    Kokomo
    I carry a fullsize Sig, and it conceals fine for the winter time. Look into getting a good holster, i use a CrossBreed. What ever gun you end up getting make sure it's one you can shoot straight and depend on. After all, your life can depend on it one day.

Top Bottom