• ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Fellow INGOers,

I think I want to delve into the world of Caniks. I’m looking at the Stingray C or the S-120 because I really want a steel framed 9mm. I’ve read positive reviews about both on here as well as other sites. Is there anyone that can speak about both? Is one better than the other in anyway? I’m not worried about trying to carry/conceal, etc.

Also, is there another steel framed 9mm (non-Canik) I should consider other than these? I’m looking to keep it around $400. I know I might be able to find something used in that range, but would it really be better than a new Canik?

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    On buds website they have a Tristar L120 that I like. It's a cz75 clone but with an aluminum frame to cut down a little weight. If you want steel that's the S120.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Can't speak to the Stingray, but do have the S-120 and have been get pleased. It has been very reliable and fits me well. Great shooter. In fact I think it is better than the 92FS, or at least I shot it better. (Sold my 92FS.) Only complaint I might have is that slid is so narrow I sometimes have issue maintaining grip to rack it, but then again that may be my arthritis. Mine is not my carry gun. Great buy for the $329 I gave for it. Love steel!

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I have a full sized steel framed Witness in 45 ACP and absolutely love it. I was considering the same in 9. I like the chrome better than the "wonder finish" that Tangfolio has. I'm not sure how much it matters.

Isn't Tri Star and Canik the same company? One is the brand and one is the importer (or something)?

I had a 92FS and regret selling it. To say the S-120 performed as well (or better) says a lot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have an Armalite AR-24k in 9mm and an EAA Witness in 10mm. Both are very well done. The EAA is a Tanfoglio built gun and the Armalite is a Sarsilmaz. The Sarsilmaz built guns look like they are built to survive a nuclear blast. The Armalite branded Sar is machined from forgings and while that adds weight, it also has a very solid feel to it. I don't know what type of action the Cannik has, but the Tanfoglio and Sarsilmaz built guns both share the same modifications to the original CZ platform. The trigger bar lifter spring and hammer spring seem to be an improvement over the original and are easy to do a bit of polish work to.

But, more to the point, either the Tanfoglio based pistols or the Sarsilmaz based guns are great additions to anyone's collection. Both are great to shoot and (so far at least) have proven durable and reliable.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are the old Baby Eagles still around and available?

Those were a bargain - and probably still are if they can be located.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    ...The Sarsilmaz built guns look like they are built to survive a nuclear blast. The Armalite branded Sar is machined from forgings and while that adds weight, it also has a very solid feel to it. I don't know what type of action the Cannik has, but the Tanfoglio and Sarsilmaz built guns both share the same modifications to the original CZ platform. The trigger bar lifter spring and hammer spring seem to be an improvement over the original and are easy to do a bit of polish work to.

But, more to the point, either the Tanfoglio based pistols or the Sarsilmaz based guns are great additions to anyone's collection. Both are great to shoot and (so far at least) have proven durable and reliable.

Someone has a Sarsmilaz K2 45 ACP in the classifieds that looks awesome. If I didn't already have the Witness in 45, I would probably pick that up and call it a day. I read up more on Sarsmilaz after reading your post. Everyone raves that the B6P is the best bang for the buck (literally). If I didn't already have a few pistols that fit that genre, I would pick one up.

That's the thing: Poly framed 9mm pistols are so prevalent. I feel like my request is almost out of the ordinary.

Are the old Baby Eagles still around and available?

Those were a bargain - and probably still are if they can be located.

The Canik Shark C looks like the Baby Eagle. I think that's what they were going for. I have no experience with those either.

Top Bottom