• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I'd love to hear some opinions of people here that have fired the vp9. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one(pardon the pun) and am curious if the trigger is as good as people say. I've heard nothing but good and that worries me a little bit. I value opinions on here and look forward to any feedback that real world users could offer.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've dry fired the VP9 and a PPQ at the same time. I couldn't tell a difference. Neither could I tell which one was which when I was holding them with my eyes closed.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'd love to hear some opinions of people here that have fired the vp9. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one(pardon the pun) and am curious if the trigger is as good as people say. I've heard nothing but good and that worries me a little bit. I value opinions on here and look forward to any feedback that real world users could offer.

I have not met you formally, but I was in Indy Gun Safety one day when you were there... I think. Not that many GTRs in our area here. I was picking up a stripped lower and used them for an FFL.

I am interested in the HK VP9 as well and actually trying not to buy one. I have a P30 and I like the handgun for a defensive carry, however I find DA/SA to be a little off putting in anything other than a purely defensive role. I have had 2 Glock 19s and I shoot them better than my P30. The Glocks work great, I shoot better with them, they just don't interest me. I even WANT to like them. I digress.

So, in order to find a more interesting striker fired pistol and because HK didn't offer one, last year I bought a Walther PPQ M2. It's AWESOME! Great trigger, great ergonomics, good price, easy to change front sight like a Glock, etc. I put a Trijicon HD front sight on it. Fast forward, late this Summer at a carbine/handgun class an instructor showed me his brand new VP9. I thought, "Oh man, now I am going to have to get one!?!?" Upon handling it, it felt nearly identical to the PPQ. I might have perceived a little less length to the muzzle, note I say perceived. BUT, he let me dry fire it and the results were interesting. I found the travel on my Walther to be smoother and the break to be more crisp. He agreed. I like the Walther trigger better. I will say though that the reset felt slightly shorter on the HK though, but overall I give the edge to the Walther. Otherwise, I couldn't tell enough difference between them to justify buying one. If you don't already have a Walther PPQ though, get a VP9!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've had mine since early July, got first one LGS received. It is a pleasure to shoot, great ergos, trigger is very smooth, has been 100% with various FMJ, Plated Reloads, & HST HP ammo. Just put trijicon HD sights on it & ordered Furry Custom Holster.

Mine's a keeper, highly recommend!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So, in order to find a more interesting striker fired pistol and because HK didn't offer one, last year I bought a Walther PPQ M2. It's AWESOME! Great trigger, great ergonomics, good price, easy to change front sight like a Glock, etc. I put a Trijicon HD front sight on it. Fast forward, late this Summer at a carbine/handgun class an instructor showed me his brand new VP9. I thought, "Oh man, now I am going to have to get one!?!?" Upon handling it, it felt nearly identical to the PPQ. I might have perceived a little less length to the muzzle, note I say perceived. BUT, he let me dry fire it and the results were interesting. I found the travel on my Walther to be smoother and the break to be more crisp. He agreed. I like the Walther trigger better. I will say though that the reset felt slightly shorter on the HK though, but overall I give the edge to the Walther. Otherwise, I couldn't tell enough difference between them to justify buying one. If you don't already have a Walther PPQ though, get a VP9!

That was my feeling. I got to shoot one a fellow INGOer brought to the range and thought it was really nice, though I felt the trigger on my PPQ was just slightly better. The HK is ~$20 or so more than the PPQ and either gun would be a solid choice.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    How many rounds through the PPQ's vs VP9? Is it possible that the PPQ triggers have self polished when compared to the HK? :dunno:

I don't think so. My PPQ trigger feels the same as it had since the first time I took it to the range, which was the same as a buddy's PPQ I tried out at one point (his was 4" and mine was 5" and we were testing the differences between the two). I'm absolutely not saying the VP9 trigger is bad, by any means, I just liked the PPQ trigger a little better. Both seem like fine firearms and I pretty similar in price. If you like the paddle mag release, the VP9 is the clear choice. Myself, I like the button release better, so prefer the PPQ M2.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I shot one for my first time on Friday. It is a very nice pistol to shoot. At 7 yards I was able to use the pistol very well using both hands and one hand. Double taps at that range were ok, but with some more practice they could definitely be better. The trigger was good. The magazine release on the trigger guard did not bother me at all. The trigger on the VP9 felt like a target trigger on a revolver. It felt fat and thats how I like a trigger to feel. I might purchase one soon, but for now I am still happy with my M&P.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have had one for several months now. It is boringly accurate, easy to shoot. Fits the hand well and the trigger is as good or some say better than the PPQ. If you want a real shooter you cant go wrong with this pistol.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I have not met you formally, but I was in Indy Gun Safety one day when you were there... I think. Not that many GTRs in our area here. I was picking up a stripped lower and used them for an FFL.

I am interested in the HK VP9 as well and actually trying not to buy one. I have a P30 and I like the handgun for a defensive carry, however I find DA/SA to be a little off putting in anything other than a purely defensive role. I have had 2 Glock 19s and I shoot them better than my P30. The Glocks work great, I shoot better with them, they just don't interest me. I even WANT to like them. I digress.

That was probably me. Thanks for the insight. I may have to look at the walther now too. I have great luck with hk in the past and they hold up so well, its had to not get another one.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    How many rounds through the PPQ's vs VP9? Is it possible that the PPQ triggers have self polished when compared to the HK? :dunno:

Embarrassingly,... maybe 250-300 rounds through the PPQ. I was big into shooting my HK45t last year and didn't shoot the PPQ a whole lot. Bought it for my wife to shoot in classes and she much preferred it over the Glock 19. I wouldn't argue anything about the triggers. Pretty damn close really. I think you would have to choose longer travel, smoother, and crisper break or still smooth, shorter travel, shorter reset. I like both! The mag release on the ppq m2 makes more sense, but I am used to HK mag releases, so I don't care either way. I never thought I would like a Walther as much as HK, but thought I'd give it a try because Walther was well priced and I was reading good things about them. I was really pleasantly surprised. If I didn't have the Walther, I'd have the HK yesterday.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    The VP9 was the first handgun I put in my paw and felt good with. I didn't feel like I was far overreaching with my trigger finger from a natural 'grab' of the gun. Normally I have to look at it and figure out how I need to grip it to get the finger to line up properly. I added in the large backstrap and palm-side panel and it fits wonderfully now. If you are finiky about grips, the VP does offer all of the options to reconfigure it in the box. That and the buttery-smooth action were what really sold me on it at first.

Turns out I really like the mag release on it as well, most others just don't sit where my fingers naturally fall on the gun. The trigger is very nice, very similar to the PPQ in quality. Preference is a coke/pepsi thing I think though. The VP is far more accurate than I am. Just need to feed it more ammo to catch up. :)

It's a fairly light-feeling handgun, IMO. My wife's XD9 sub feels much more weighty in the hand. Hell she's said if she didn't have her XD already she'd get a VP instead.

Also, the looks that people make when you pop the barrel out and show them the hexagonal rifling are the best.

VP9 is a fine weapon, the PPQ is as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

lilruckus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Indy
    I love my VP9...trigger is great and it's accurate out the box. It eats all different types of ammo with out a hiccup. It's ergos are great. If you can get one below $600 it's worth it. You won't be disappointed.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    Here the long version lol....

I bought my VP9 as soon as I found one locally, and have not regretted it yet. I have 463 round through, according to my pocket note book I keep for it and have had zero problems.

Some of the highlights of the VP9....

The grips. The backstrap, right grip panel and left grip panel all come in a small, medium and large size, allowing the shooter to customize the grip to his or her liking. Some may not think this is much, but it is incredible how different the grip feels just by changing panels. I have found that the large BS, large RS panel, and Small LS panel is about as close to perfection for me as I can get. Perfect trigger reach, amazing fit and feel. You will not find it in any other gun.

The Trigger..... simply one of the best out of the box striker fired triggers out their. Some will argue the PPQ is better, but you are splitting hairs at that point. They both have outstanding triggers. The take up is firm but short, there is no creep or grit, it has a short reset. The VP9 is proof that an excellent trigger can be put in a gun from the start, and I hope other manufacturers take heed of this and quickly.

The mag release.... is very different. Instead of a button, you have a paddle in the trigger guard. Once you get used to it, it is very fast and easy.

The sights.... are a slight point of contention for me. They are great... fast to aquire and align, easily seen even in low light as a silohuette, they come with an awesome photophosphorent paint that glows bright and lasts a long time.... the only complaint is the rear sight is quite large. It does not impede function in any way, it just looks big, especially when viewed from the rear. When shooting I dont even notice it though, so it really doesnt lose points for it.

The slide.... has charging wings/ears that are next to the rear sight on each side. Different, but very useful. They aid in cycling the slide when reloading or when doing a press check, locking the slide to the rear, etc. They are not big, but are big enough to be functionable with out being obtrusive. Once you use them, you will wonder why every gun doesnt have them !!!

Accuracy.... is top notch. My VP9 makes me look like a top shot shooter. It will clean out target centers all day long. I can shoot 5 inch groups at 15 yds all day without hassle. If I really focus I can shrink them to 3 inches with a few flyers..... that would be a group roughly the size of your palm... at 15 yds.... that will ruin a BG's day every time.

Magazines... are solid metal and are shared with the P30. I have three and they all work perfectly... the only downside is mags are not cheap, but this applies to all HK guns so no surprise there.

I EDC my VP9 regularly, and it simply disappears. I dont have a reason for it, but it rides much better than my M&P full size did of the same size. No tugging, no sliding, just there.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    [video=youtube;aDke3Zc0NPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDke3Zc0NPo[/video]

[video=youtube;eOXb9m34CTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXb9m34CTc[/video]

[video=youtube;VN9oVkduwEg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN9oVkduwEg[/video]

[video=youtube;5n_VSwSlKts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_VSwSlKts[/video]

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I bought mine cause Hickok said "very nice" about a dozen times, haha. Well I've had mine for about 6-7 months now, put about 500 rounds thru it and I love it. I have 3 other HK pistols so the mag release is no issue for me. I've shot it at local matches at the Moose lodge I belong to and as it is commonly said, it is more accurate than I am.

Top Bottom