• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Title pretty much says it. I've only ankle carried an LCR. What's the heaviest firearm one can reasonably ankle carry and not walk like you're doing the "walk this way" bit as a gimpy butler? Assume a quality ankle holster.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    S&W J-Frames are good to go for the most part. The Model 642 and the Model 442 both carry 5 rounds of .38SPL+ and weigh 15oz. empty.

I have tried a Glock 26 on the ankle, but it did not perform well. Tended to slide too much, and was a bit bulky for my taste.

I think the Taurus 709 Slim would be a great ankle carry, assuming you can find a suitable holster. I prefer to carry it IWB at 03:00 unless I am going to a gun show where I have to disarm before entering. Then I OC my 24/7 and unload it at the door. No one notices the 709 CC in a cross draw rig at 10:00.

I am considering picking up a S&W 442 for ankle carry at need. I will be following this thread to see what others think.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't have any problem with a Glock 26, much more than that would be cumbersome! Met a guy once that ankle carried a G19.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Depends on how you dress. I have ankle carried for 20 years at work as that is what works best for how I dress. With dress shoes and a garter on the holster, I have found about 14 oz was as heavy as I could go and feel comfortable and secure. That was a Beretta Tomcat. When I switched to an LCP it was great. even did a Keltec P32 for a while and it was like nothing was there.

With low to mid height boots that help support the holster, anything up to a G26 works for me.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Subjective as to one's size, but I would think pound and a half, say 28 ozs. is the upper end.

I carried a M649 [say 27 ounces loaded] on my ankle for a couple of decades with no problems (I am medium framed and 6').

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A Steel or stainless S&W J frame is the heaviest I would consider. An air weight J frame is really the way to go for carry, even of they are painful to shoot. You would be surprised at how much difference 5 or 6 ounces make when you walk a lot. If you sit at a desk, wander around the office and drive anywhere farther than 75 yards, it does not make much difference.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back when I was a young man, carried a Beretta 84 for years in an ankle holster everywhere.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Title pretty much says it. I've only ankle carried an LCR. What's the heaviest firearm one can reasonably ankle carry and not walk like you're doing the "walk this way" bit as a gimpy butler? Assume a quality ankle holster.

Maybe you can just carry two heavy guns to even out left and right?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How about going really light.......

I thinking of selling my S&W 340PD 11.4 oz....... (shameless plug)

Nah, I like my LCR too much to give it for another revolver. It was more of a "hmm, I wonder" type question than one with any real purpose.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Personally, if I was a LEO, If I could, I would carry the smallest version of whatever pistol uses the same magazines as my primary. Obviously the only problem you're going to run into is the small mag in your secondary will most likely not work in your primary, but I doubt that's a situation your likely to find yourself in.
    Nah, I like my LCR too much to give it for another revolver. It was more of a "hmm, I wonder" type question than one with any real purpose.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Carried a Glock 27 on my ankle for tears as a back up to my Glock 22. I knew one Officer that carried his duty Glock 22 on his ankle while off-duty.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Wow I didn't realize how many folks ankle carry on a regular basis. ...

Hey Cosermann, is there a poll on that? Why yes, glad you asked!

For the carry of a primary gun, prior polls suggest ankle carry of one's primary piece runs maybe only 1% (or less) of respondents.

However, it seems to go up in favor as a carry mode when used to carry a BUG; maybe to somewhere around 15%ish.

These aren't statistical polls, of course, but I think they're interesting.

Polls:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fense/238328-concealed-carry-method-poll.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...42895-what-type-holster-do-you-use-carry.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/239754-concealed-carry-method-poll-bugs.html

Top Bottom