• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I wanted to throw a shout out to my friend Brandan Bunker owner of Bunker Arms just outside Tampa Fl. IMO Brandan is one of the finest young gun smiths out there. I am proud to call him a friend and I would recommend him to anyone wanting real work done to there 1911.

I sent him a Nighthawk Falcon a while back and he just shot me a message that he was getting around to finishing up my project:) I am not blown away to often but, Sweet Jesus!!! I can not wait to see this baby in person!
    He has a few final touch's to add to this pistol and it should be ready to come home! First picture is what it looked like when I sent it to him:) Ill post A LOT MORE detailed pictures once I get it in my hands in the next few weeks!

IMO, Brandan will be one of the most sought after 1911 builders in the USA within the next 3-4 years!

This is what my Falcon looked like when I sent it over to Brandan

Finished product...

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    He basically did the following to the pistol...
    - Ball Endmill Cuts to the front of the slide
    - French Boarder
    - Full custom short flat trigger (Chambers Custom blank)
    - Custom front target blade with full flush blend
    - Custom rear sight with recessed notch and serrations
    - Full glass bead blast and polish flats

I am sure I am forgetting something....

NH7-L.jpg

SS%20sight%20blank-L.jpg

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    I'll play Devils advocate... Why send an already high level built gun like a Nighthawk to be built up even more? It's a beautiful gun and I'd love to own one like it but why not just have a gun custom built with all the features you want?

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I'll play Devils advocate... Why send an already high level built gun like a Nighthawk to be built up even more? It's a beautiful gun and I'd love to own one like it but why not just have a gun custom built with all the features you want?

fair enough question with a very easy answer... I have an $9,000 dollar Chambers Custom on order... I'm still 4 years away on the delivery date. So while I wait, I bought a 3k pistol and had some minor work done to get it the way I wanted... It'll hold me over:)

Many net have asked why I didn't just use a RIA or production pistol for this kind of work... That was just as easy to answer... To have a custom builder do work to a production gun, they will replace all parts, reblend everything, have to fix the issues with the frame as well as the fit. Using a nighthawk, a lot of that work was already done... So what Brandan would have charged to do a full make over on a RIA, I was better off going this route. Plus, I have like 6 other semi custom Wilson/hawk/Baer/etc... Wanted this one to be my own:)!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    When you say "toys" you must be referring to Kimbers or the likes of a production style 1911. Stacking tolerances are relevant and of the hundreds of thousands of rounds I have fired, I have never seen a semi custom or custom 1911 fail. I have seen Springers, Kimbers, and the likes break and jam... typically after 4K with no cleaning.

With that said, I carry a plastic piece of crap for far different reasons...
    1. its lighter
    2. mag capacity
    3. easier to conceal (Im in IL, I can not open carry)
    4. if God forbid I do have to use it, I am not losing a 3-9 thousand dollar pistol. Ill live with losing a $450 dollar firearm

Its pretty much that simple... really has nothing to do with reliability as I am confident based off my real life experiences that my 1911's are more reliable than my plastic pistol.

With that said, I respect my G19 and if I were grabbing a pistol for all around reliability, weight, and the things I mentioned above, its this pistol. That doesnt mean its the pistol I would grab if I was going to the mars or going into a combat situation... For that I will take a HK45.

Many reasons behind that choice however, I do not feel like typing out a full range/carry/battle pistol comparison right now. Plus, the thread is about my NH... not the others:)!

Top Bottom