S&W Governor - What else, besides a "Toy"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have been looking at these for a while. Don't / Won't own a Taurus, so didn't get a Judge when they first came out. Love the idea of the Governor, since it can also fire the 45ACP, although it requires moon clips. So, I'm asking... Other than a Range Toy, what other uses are out there for a Governor? TYIA, INGO!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ...post pictures of on INGO.

...visual aid while doing Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions.

...occupy space in a safe.

Other than "because I think its unique and fun" there's no compelling reason to own one. There's certainly nothing these .410/.45 revolvers do better than a traditional revolver in terms of performance, size, etc. They gained popularity when carjacking was the fear de jour with the idea the spread would be beneficial in that scenario. They were a niche gun that probably wasn't even the best at that niche.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I had one and sold it. I do not have access to a private range so the .410 wasn't doable... Destroys carriers and frames .45 LC was very costly and the half moon clips are a PITA. Other than possible home defense I found itbabtoy I didn't shoot.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I like the governor a lot. having a 410 revolver for home defense is nice. And 45 colt is a sweet round to shoot. Plus the always nice 45acp as extra bonus is to good to pass. Wake up to a bump in the night and u are carring a revolver that will spray lead all over makes aiming easiet LOL.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like the governor a lot. having a 410 revolver for home defense is nice. And 45 colt is a sweet round to shoot. Plus the always nice 45acp as extra bonus is to good to pass. Wake up to a bump in the night and u are carring a revolver that will spray lead all over makes aiming easiet LOL.

If you're in your house why not use a real shotgun? Then you'd not be gimped past a few yards, have a reliable and predictable spread, more power, etc. etc.

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson Governor - The Truth About Guns

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I take it that the part highlighted in bold was made in jest and that you don't really advocate spraying lead all over the place. The biggest misconception of using any type of firearm that can dispense shot is that they can just be pointed without aiming in the general direction of a threat and discharged.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    BehindBlueI's [URL="http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/06/robert-farago/gun-review-smith-wesson-governor/" said:
    Gun Review: Smith & Wesson Governor - The Truth About Guns[/URL]

BBI - Thank you for posting this... OMG, I found it both helpful and humorous. Guess I'm more the "gun nut" referenced in the article.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I take it that the part highlighted in bold was made in jest and that you don't really advocate spraying lead all over the place. The biggest misconception of using any type of firearm that can dispense shot is that they can just be pointed without aiming in the general direction of a threat and discharged.
    Yeah sorry should have been purple LOL.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a friend that owns property in New Mexico. He carries a Governor around because of snakes. I guess .410 birdshot works snakes over pretty darn well.

Edit: I copied this from TTAG link in BBIs post.

"I’m sure there are a few situations where only a Smith & Wesson Governor will do. Snakes on a plain? Otherwise, the Governor appeals to two types of buyers: homeowners who don’t know any better and enthusiasts who couldn’t care less. This being America, consumers are free to buy the wrong gun for their needs. As for gun nuts looking for something a little nutty, your watermelons await."

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I don't have any property of which to speak. I don't go for walks along waterways. I don't visit rural Indiana much. I have what I want for Home Defense.

So far, it doesn't sound like I "need" this in my safe... unless I like having one or two novelty firearms around for play / trade, it came at a good price, and I enjoy a little gun powder with my watermelon...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't have any property of which to speak. I don't go for walks along waterways. I don't visit rural Indiana much. I have what I want for Home Defense.

So far, it doesn't sound like I "need" this in my safe... unless I like having one or two novelty firearms around for play / trade, it came at a good price, and I enjoy a little gun powder with my watermelon...

It would be fun to own if you had extra money and wanted a big revolver. There is something to be said about the Boom Boom factor something like this would have. At least it shoots 45 acp, so a guy could use it to ring steel plates and such

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My wife got duped into buying a Judge by a rather unscrupulous well known gun shop employee before we met and paid way too much for it at that. She was given the "just point it somewhere close, pull the trigger and the BG goes down" line by the guy. (No, I won't name the shop, that's water under the bridge and lesson learned for her). So, rather than lose $$ on it, it sits in the safe most of the time. She has fired it twice and decided it wasn't for her. I get it out when company comes over to shoot. It's fun to waste milk jugs and two liter bottles with, but I doubt I'll every use it for much of anything else. We've got a couple of boxes of .45 LC for it, but have never used any of it, just .410 shells.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a friend that owns property in New Mexico. He carries a Governor around because of snakes. I guess .410 birdshot works snakes over pretty darn well.

Edit: I copied this from TTAG link in BBIs post.

"I’m sure there are a few situations where only a Smith & Wesson Governor will do. Snakes on a plain? Otherwise, the Governor appeals to two types of buyers: homeowners who don’t know any better and enthusiasts who couldn’t care less. This being America, consumers are free to buy the wrong gun for their needs. As for gun nuts looking for something a little nutty, your watermelons await."

^^THIS^^. I have family in Louisiana which the Governer would make a fine choice for treking in the swamps. the 410 is a heck of a lot better than the traditional pistol rounds with bird shot. Especially with the snakes and other things down south that have a lot more sting in their bite than up here. Factor in you can get a half moon clip and put in some 45 acp rounds your set for about most issues.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I went through a similar decision making process with a Desert Eagle that was in my safe way too long. I came up with this checklist:

1) is it useful for hunting?
    2) Is it legal for any competition?
    3) Is is a piece I would be likely to carry?
    4) would it be a first choice "go to" for a house emergency?
    5) does the fun/coolness factor give me enough pleasure to own/maintain?
    6) is it rare enough that I could not replace it?

With my Desert eagle, test number 5 was slowly fading away at about the same time as a man with $500 more cash then I paid for it came by. It was pretty easy to let it go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I went through a similar decision making process with a Desert Eagle that was in my safe way too long. I came up with this checklist:

1) is it useful for hunting?
    2) Is it legal for any competition?
    3) Is is a piece I would be likely to carry?
    4) would it be a first choice "go to" for a house emergency?
    5) does the fun/coolness factor give me enough pleasure to own/maintain?
    6) is it rare enough that I could not replace it?

With my Desert eagle, test number 5 was slowly fading away at about the same time as a man with $500 more cash then I paid for it came by. It was pretty easy to let it go.

That's a pretty smart list.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In regards to a Judge or Governor:

1) is it useful for hunting? Not particularly, especially with a sub 4" barrel

2) Is it legal for any competition? Legal maybe, practical no

3) Is is a piece I would be likely to carry? Yeah right!!!

4) would it be a first choice "go to" for a house emergency? Not mine, maybe somebody who didn't know any better.

5) does the fun/coolness factor give me enough pleasure to own/maintain? Hmmm, maybe.

6) is it rare enough that I could not replace it? Nope

limapapa40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Knox Co.
    I owned a Judge with the 6 1/2" barrel. Blew away a lot of melons and grapefruits. A real blast to shoot. Pun intended. I found the .410 personal defense rounds to be way more accurate than the .45 Long Colt rounds. Had my fun with it, then sold it. My shotgun is still my choice for home defense.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Had a Judge 451OPD-3B that was a gift. I shot a opossum with a shotshell of #8 from about 6 feet away. He just laughed at me and ran away.:dunno: Traded the gun for something more useful.

Top Bottom