• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Have any of you guys installed new sights on your M&P? Mine should be here today, and I'm wondering if I need one of those sight tools for the rear. I got a set of fixed competition sights from Novak.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Man - take it over to USDS or Bradis and have them do it. Well worth the money to have them knock it out hassle free and a lot less frustration with flying small parts IMO.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I love how everyone recommends USDS almost unanimously now. I was in there over the weekend before I took my AR out for the first time, and he actually took it in the back and showed me where and how to lube it and gave it the once over to make sure everything looked good. Top notch thing to do, especially without me asking him to do it. I hope they are able to expand (a la BGF) and maybe even build an indoor range (sans tracer rounds) like BGF as well.

I will probably just take it to them, as I already have to go in there for something for my AR.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Having the rear sight tool makes it easier because the striker block is under tension. When using a normal punch like I did, I was able to remove the sight and striker block and spring with out an issue. It was reinstalling that was the issue. Trying to keep the spring and cap for the striker block in place while I drifted the sight back was not easy. I had the spring shoot out once. But I found it and got it in.

While I had the striker block accesed, I rounded it off like the apex tactical USB. Wish I had the apex kit before messing with the sights becacuse it comes with the sight tool.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I used punches on my M&P 9c and it wasn't too bad. However, since that first time, I've had USDS install a set for me, and believe me, it's worth it to have them do it.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I installed a Apex kit on my M&P a couple weeks ago. I purchased a brass punch at Lowes. I padded my vise and put the slide in it sideways. I then removed the screw in the rear sight and then tapped out the sight with the brass punch. It actually came out very easily. Just be careful because there is a plunger under the sight and you don't want to lose that or the spring under it.

Proceed at your own risk

Otherwise take it to USDS or a qualified gunsmith.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used a sight tool on all of my M&P's. I would have used a drift if I didn't have the tool, but the tool makes it very easy.

Top Bottom