• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustinfz6r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    East Indy /Pendleton
    My buddy tells me I should have at least 3 guns all of different calibers. One as an EDC, one to keep locked up in the car and one for home defense. Until recently I had been opposed to that idea until finding this site. After spending hours & hours of reading and some range time with my buddy shooting several different kinds of guns I am now sold on the idea of owning more than one gun. I know they all serve a purpose but doesn't it become redundant at some point if they are all the same physical size?

So, if given the same circumstances which 3 would you pick?

Do you have a specific reason for picking a particular gun? (Size/Weight/Quality)

Does it have a specific purpose? (Carry/Home Defense/Car)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I won't call it my 'only' three list, but instead, my 'first' three list.

Every day carry: CZ 75 Compact.
    reason: The CZ Compact is probably the perfect do-all gun. It's small enough to conceal, yet big enough to be shot well easily. It has great aftermarket support, so it can grow as you grow.

Home Defense: Either a Glock 21 or a railed full size 1911. Either makes a great nightstand gun with an attached light (as well as a handheld flashlight too). Both are in .45 which will do a number on anyone hit with it, yet will go through fewer walls before coming to a stop. They're big, heavy and easy to shoot.

Extra gun: Either a Sig P238, Glock 42 or some other gun that will fit in a pocket nicely.

Given those three guns, you would be well setup even if you never did go beyond just those three. Each is in a different caliber, so you are less impacted by ammo shortages and each is useful for self defense. All three are fun to shoot, so you will be more likely to shoot them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My 3 would be as follows, although I hate the thought of only having three...

1. Carry gun- My current favorite is a Sig P220 compact. It is small enough it conceals well and its still a .45.
    2. Nightstand Gun- I would have to have a 1911, so I would have to pick one of these. So I will go with my Colt series 70 government model
    3. Plinking- Browning Buckmark .22. Dependable and accurate.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Glock 19 for EDC.
    Glock 26 for back up gun.
    Glock 17 for home defense/house gun.

I will have to go with lovemachine on this. All of the guns listed can use the same ammo, sights, trigger parts, G17 mags. The triggers can be made to feel the same if they aren't already right out of the box.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I don't quite understand why they all need to be different calibers, but to each their own I guess. My truck gun is my EDC gun (Shield 40) and on my nightstand is a 9MM Beretta 92FS. I chose the Shield 40 for it's concealment qualities, both in the truck and on my body. The Beretta was chosen for in-house duty due it's high capacity and the many years of experience I've had with it. I would change that Beretta for a full size M&P if funds allowed, just for the simularity with my EDC.
    I do like having multiple caliber handguns though, that neccessity came from the recent ammo famine we went through not too long ago. I figured if I had all the popular/common calibers, I could get some range time regardless of what I found available on store shelves.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    My EDC - M&P 9MM
    My Truck - M&P 40 (option for 9mm barrel)
    My Bedside - M&P 45

IMO, you can interchange with similar model of Springfield XD or Glock, but it all depends on which of these "point" better for you.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Out of the handguns I have, if I had to trim it down to three based on practicality I would keep:

EDC/Truck: Glock 19. It is small enough to conceal, big enough to shoot well and enough capacity.
    BUG/Deep concealment: LCP. .380 is not a good self defense round, but it is small and easy to conceal.
    Nightstand: I use my Glock 19 for this, but if I could keep another handgun I would probably keep the walther p22 not for night stand duty, but because I like .22lr.

I know we are talking about handguns here, but if I could choose any gun for the house/truck it would be an AR carbine in 5.56.

That would give me:

Glock 19 for general carry
    LCP for BUG/deep concealment
    AR Carbine for backing up the Glock 19 around the Truck/House

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't have an EDC (my job prohibits that), and I can't take one in my car (again, job), but I do have:

Nightstand gun: M&P 9mm

Sometimes Carry: J-frame .38

Plinker/predator control: Ruger Mk I

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Don't keep a firearm in your vehicle unless you absolutely HAVE to disarm like going into a post office or government building. Because if your car gets broken into then you just armed a bad guy. Aslo If it's not on you its not doing you any good.

If I was starting out and wanted 3 Handguns to cover most carry needs I would suggest two auto's a full sized and a compact of the same caliber and of the same make that can share magazines. Like a Glock 17 and a 19 or a CZ SP-01 and a P-01 compact.

And then a snubbed nose revolver of some sort chambered for .357 like a J framed S&W or Ruger LCR.

And that would cover about 90% of anyone's carry needs. The only thing missing is a single stack sub-compact auto like the new Ruger LC9s pro for deep CC.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    Dustin - by now you see the trend of having to pick only 3 .......... instead of having @ least 3
    EDC- Shield 9
    night stand - currently FNS 9L Long Slide
    what was the other one (?) that's like picking dodge ball teams , I usually bring 4-6 to the range.........

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom