• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Pistols "shotgunning"? Learned something new today, kinda. I'll have to see if I can go find out what causes it.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    My 2 M&P's have about 15k rounds between them. I imagine it would have happened by now if it were going to.

Agree with this ^^^^ My full sized M&P has at least 11k rounds through it and compact has about 5k so I'd like to believe it would've happened by now as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Soooo...no pictures of the gun, just the target?

pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_tshirt-p235350460184511443qj9v_328.jpg

I shall require more proof.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Soooo...no pictures of the gun, just the target?

pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_tshirt-p235350460184511443qj9v_328.jpg

I shall require more proof.

I was about to post that.

St. Costa can run down and get a pic of the target, but not the muzzle?

I have tens of thousands of rounds through multiple M&P's and have not had an issue.

Now if this was a Springfield 1911, I would believe it, since I have been the recipient of a 2 piece barrel rocketing downrange out of a Loaded Model...

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Hope I am safe, I've got 2 with around 1200-1500 rounds through each so far. My pro has less...
    9mm barrels seem to be troublesome (hit and miss) with these. Not fond of the 9mm barrel lockup issues in the past either.
    My m&p fanboi level has dropped a little.

Glock23od

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I was just looking to pick one of the m&p up but if this is true then I may reconsider. Anyone know about this or just another he said thing by someone with a glock lol

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So I was just looking to pick one of the m&p up but if this is true then I may reconsider. Anyone know about this or just another he said thing by someone with a glock lol

Every gun maker has problems sometimes. The GP100 is widely known as being a battle tank transformed into a revolver. I got one brand new that locked up as the cylinder turned. Obviously some makers have a higher failure rate than others, 1% vs .00001% is a big deal over a bajillion guns.

If I wanted an M&P (which I don't) I wouldn't let one complaint on the Internet keep me from one.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

I would say there are a lot of m&p's and haven't heard of this issue. Not ready to change my tune because one guy says he has seen this in a class of his.
    I own 4, and am extremely happy with the performance of all.

Older barrels (no dimples) have lockup and twist rate issues. To avoid such a barrel, remove it and check to see if there are one or two dimples (newest gen) on the underside.
    It appears theses dimpled barrels are identical in manufacturing, and the # of dimples identifies which machine tooled the barrel only.
    MandPbarreldimples_zps4457912c.jpg

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    FWiW, Chez how many rounds did you go without cleaning your m&p? Wasn't it like 2-3k in one year?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I would say there are a lot of m&p's and haven't heard of this issue. Not ready to change my tune because one guy says he has seen this in a class of his.
    I own 4, and am extremely happy with the performance of all.

Older barrels (one or no dimples) have lockup and twist rate issues. To avoid such a barrel, remove it and check to see if there are two dimples (newest gen) on the underside.

So what was the problem with the single dimple barrels? My standard FS9 is from 2013 with a single dot and 1k+ flawless rounds and the 9 Pro made last month has the dingle dot as well. I figured the newest ones made would have the newest parts but maybe that isn't the case. The Pro also came with the old style slide stop, that surprised me. S&W was good about it. I called them and asked for a new style and they sent me one.

Top Bottom