• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock23od

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I've been looking at getting a new gun, preferably in a caliber I currently don't have. For whatever reason I'm looking at the 10mm Anyone with info on it? And maybe reason for or against? Thanks

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Also have a G20 - Glock 10mm. The reasons I selected it are pretty simple. First, the G20 is a favorite among Alaskan guides for self defense in the bush, I hunt out west each year and didn't want the weight of a heavy revolver so the G20 was a good compromise for me. The 10mm has a good bit of delivered KE and the G20 holds 15+1. Also, I can purchase a .40 barrel and it drops straight in, change nothing else - so for the price of one pistol plus the cost of another barrel I have two caliber choices that are easy to swap back and forth - use the same magazines too. The .40 is cheaper and more abundant in supply should 10mm become difficult to find.

I am starting reloading this winter - that was always on the horizon for me - so the 10mm will be more economical soon. Hope this helps.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Had one got rid of it! fun handgun to shoot. If my memory stands correct bluedot powder throws a wicked fireball downrange. wish i would have kept the thing. Hot tip,, brass from the 10mm is like GOLD, find a way to police every piece.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are advantages and disadvantages to 10mm. On the plus side, it's a great round for SD against large critters like bear, mountain lions and 300# meth addicts. The versatility of the round makes it fun to load for. It has both great stopping power and high capacity in a full size gun. And, a lot of 10mm pistols can run a variety of other cartridges with only a barrel and mag swap. One more advantage is that 10mm SD ammo is usually the last to disappear during a shortage.

On the down side, it can be expensive to plink with if you do not reload. If you do reload, you'll find yourself occasionally spending more time chasing brass than actually shooting. Like HPS said above, 10mm brass can be expensive compared to others and the power of the load tends to send brass flying a good distance. I'm having trouble coming up with more disadvantages.

One way around the cost until you begin reloading is to pick up a .40 barrel for range practice to keep plinking costs down. That's simple to do with a Glock, but gets to be expensive with EAA Witness and would require fitting for a 1911 in 10mm.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I heard with a 10mm you can draw, load a mag, chamber a round, aim, and hit a target in less than a second.... But only after giving harsh looks and running around a corner.

In all seriousness, if you don't reload, I feel it will be too costly. Its just like the other specialty rounds, finding them in the store and the cost is the biggest detractor for me. That's why I stick to the common calibers.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a G20SF and it was a fine pistol. My only gripe was that I was shooting it at the range all the time and for target shooting I just got tired of spending the time reloading when I could just buy a box of 9mm for the same amount of ammo and cost without the time.

If I go to Alaska, or a wild hog hunt I'd take a G20SF. It's a great pistol for something like that because it's a little more powerful than a 357 mag, a little less than a 41mag or 44mag, but it's easier to shoot than those in my opinion. I used the extended base plates so my mags were 17+1. That's a ton of firepower in the lightest package possible.

The versatility of the cartridge is amazing. You can reload these rounds to be a little sissy house cat or a fire breathing dragon. You're not going to be hunting in the middle of nowhere and run into a mom and pops type store and find a box of 10mm on the shelf though. It's just not going to happen.

Reloading a 10mm isn't that bad. The key is finding a good deal on the brass. I always get on gunbroker and look for once fired brass and usually you save some $$ doing it that way. Once you've got your brass you use the same powder, primer, & bullets that are available for 40's and your options really open up. Starline brass is generally accepted as the best brass to buy for a 10mm.

I had a 20SF and sold it, but every once in a while I try to find an excuse to buy another.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Dammit. Apparently I let my 10mm enthusiasm show occasionally...

If you reload I would say go for it. If not, shooting a 10mm on a regular basis might be cost prohibitive.

(just using BA's post as a jumping point)

It doesn't cost significantly more to shoot similar types of ammo with a 10mm as it does a .45acp. If $4-5 a box factory ammo price difference will make or break it for someone for plinking ammo and they DON'T reload then they are being an idiot because reloading is cheap and easy. Even compared to 9mm where it costs double for plinking ammo, the same holds true. Pretty much anyone who shoots more than a box or two a year of ammo who complains about ammo costs and doesn't reload is being a fool. Before the inevitable "reloading takes space I don't have!" chorus, I know people whose entire reloading setup fits in a shoebox and cost less than three boxes of ammo to start: there IS no excuse except you don't want to and if that is the case then don't complain about price.

Self defense ammo costs pretty much the same across the board for the primary calibers so that is a wash.

88E30M50 gave the best synopsis. I'll just add that the 10mm is the most versatile round of any of the autoloaders and if you become proficient at shooting it then every other pistol caliber will be easy to shoot. It really isn't for everyone, but it really is an enthusiast's gun.

If someone truly wants cheap plinking and doesn't want to reload, I would recommend one of the fine air pistols out there (I'm not being facetious here), you simply don't get any cheaper and easier shooting than that.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I love my 20sf. I shoot it often and love the 10mm round in general. I would say if it is going to be your primary range gun, then it will get costly if you shoot regularly. I personally don't reload but enjoy shooting mine. I don't shoot it as often as my 9mm or .45's but I smile every time I take the 10mm to the range.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This is my Glock 20 Longslide with LWD slide and LWD 6.6"bbl and compensator. In the box is the original G20 slide, 10mm bbl, and LWD40 conversion for .40.
    8f655d694cbee4891ac55daf6a5ee3c4.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That's a nice rig SS. I trust my old G20SF is still getting to go outside and play as well?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I heard with a 10mm you can draw, load a mag, chamber a round, aim, and hit a target in less than a second.... But only after giving harsh looks and running around a corner.
    DANG IT! Too busy doing real work to fire that off. :xmad:

The 10mm seems be a pretty popular hog gun. Other than cool factor and hunting, there's not much else; not that there's anything wrong with only a gun for the cool factor.

Top Bottom