• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    Was looking at a Browning Buckmark and the shop owner showed me the 22 A. Don't know much about them just looking for a 22 to plink with . Can anybody give me any info. Thanks

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    I turned away from the 22A because it is recomended to change the recoil buffer often. I didn't want to bother with the hassle of finding them in the years to come. I was also looking for a pistol that would cycle just about any 22lr ammo I could find. I ended up buying a Ruger SR22. I have been very happy with it and have not had any issues. I know that the Ruger is a little more expensive than the S&W but less than the Browning.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Depends on the price you can get it for, but I prefer the Ruger 22/45 & Mk III.

I had a 22A for a while and really had nothing bad to say about it, it cycled any 22lr I fed it and was reasonably accurate. It just didn't seem any better than my 15+ yr old Mk II.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have one. Good for what it is. Not a competition gun ( well for a class D shooter like me.....) but it is great fun and works well with most ammo.
    As for worrying about recoil buffers, you 3 or 4 with the gun. I called S&W a few months back to buy more plus a spring. They ended up sending me 4 buffers and the spring for free.
    Also read on INGO they were D/Cing the 22a. I called Smith and the answer was "kinda". They are focusing on the M&P .22 's but says 22a parts will be available for years even after a full d/c of the gun.

If the price fits your budget do it. Especially if new with warranty and all.....

Last edited:

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I have 2 of them and love them! They are accurate- take almost every type of ammo I have fed it and I love the simplicity of its takedown for cleaning. Throw a red dot on the rail and you can shoot a gnat off of an apple at 100 yards...lol. I would buy another one. Every person I let shoot it wants one!

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I've had two. Great shooters, no trouble. Seem to cycle very quickly, fired all I fed it, nicely priced. I couldn't ask for much more. I have the 4" barreled one now. Love it.

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    I have had mine for several years and put 3000+ rounds through it with no problems. It is my favorite handgun for squirrel hunting. I sent an email to S&W about two years ago inquiring about buffers and was sent six of them at no charge. Great customer service and a fine product.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Oh the peskie 22a

I had 3 the 22s stainless in 7 1/2
    2 22a one in 5inch and the other in 7 1/2

2 went back to smith and wesson

1st
    believe it or not there was a chip in the rifling, they were quick to send out another barrel.

2nd one
    The slide "upon return" was slamming and deforming causing the deformation to grind into the aluminum pot metal frame. SMITH AND WESSON DID NOT REPAIR OR SEND OUT ANOTHER 22a REPLACEMENT,

They told me they been having similar issues with these models and will not be warranting them out but instead issuing out S&W M&P 22C'S

In my experience with these pistols are they are somewhat reliable, great trigger pulls, but the use of materials are poor and seem to "wear" fast.
    Change those buffers as well a range trip without a proper one will result in the soft pot metal to dimple well into 1/4 inch.

the seldom seen 22s!
    IMAG1430_zpsbeb6d1b7.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

after messing with the S&W I since decided to get rid of em for the Ruger MK series, better quality, better materials and more accessories.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I've had mine for probably 10 years. It works fine. Shoots well with just about anything other than crappy Remington stuff. I don't think I've ever changed the buffer. Maybe I should look into that, but no problems after 10 years so...
    Only thing that ever bugged me was the sights on mine are turned as low as they'll go and it still shoots high, like a really high 6 o'clock hold within 25 yds. I put a piece of crap red dot on there which is surprisingly still working and has held zero for about 6 or 7 years now. For the money they work well.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I turned away from the 22A because it is recomended to change the recoil buffer often. I didn't want to bother with the hassle of finding them in the years to come.

Meh. Mine was so chewed up beyond recognition, I flipped it around backwards and it still kept going and going and going...
    The only reason I replaced it was because I loaned the gun to an instructor friend for his Basic Pistol Safety class, and when he took it apart, he lost the spring/rod/buffer in the grass and couldn't find them. He called S&W and they sent me a couple of each rod/spring and half a dozen buffers...for free.

The 22A is my "go to" for new shooters and I have three friends who've purchased them for their own collections after shooting mine.

Top Bottom