• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlkBlt6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    I’m not sure I am in the right area for this question. If I need to post in a different area, let me know. I have a Kimber Solo that I would like to gift to my son who lives in California. At this time, it isn’t legal to purchase a Kimber Solo in CA. Would there be a difference between gifting and purchasing according to the California laws. I want to do the right thing.

I enjoy INGO very much and appreciate the comments on so many topics. This is my first post. Thanks.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Welcome! Ca. Is realy a nightmare when it comes to guns. Why can't they be sold there? If you can't buy one, I doubt you could transfer it to him. We have very good gun knowledge folks here that will chime in soon.

BlkBlt6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    It has to do with microstamping, which involves the use of laser technology to engrave a microscopic marking onto the tip of the firing pin and onto the breech face of the firearm. When the firearm is fired, these etchings are transferred to the primer by the firing pin and to the cartridge case head by the breech face, using the pressure created when a round is fired. After being fired, if the cases are recovered by police, the microscopic markings imprinted on the cartridges can then be examined by forensic ballistics experts to obtain information to trace the firearm to the last registered owner. (info from Wikipedia)

Smith & Wesson announced that it wouldn’t be selling new semi automatic weapons in CA citing the microstamping law. I know that my son can’t buy a Solo in CA but can he be gifted a Solo?

Sorry for the long dissertation but I wanted to make sure the info I put on INGO was accurate.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    As a former California resident as of August, I can say that you can transfer the gun to him. It is called an intrafamiliar transfer. The Solo does not hold more than 10 rounds so its fine. Look it up. Also, a website called Calguns will be of great help to you. It's California's version of INGO.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As I recally the microstamping only refers to new guns sold in the state as new. Many guns are grandfathered in as long as they are not modified after the law was enacted.

Another vote for calguns. They will be a better resource than INGO because they are closer to the problem.

Top Bottom