• ...and so much more!
  • RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Ouch!
    Went to a LGS on the far north side, to trade in a 160 round, 2 month old pistol. Was told they would give me forty percent for what I purchased it for. What a huge contract between buying it from a Facebook group where a used piece will sell for 90-95 percent of new value.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I kind of understand why the gun shop under bid what you were wanting. They are in business to make a profit, so you are gonna have to pay the middle man. FB its a one on one transaction no third party to pay. Personally either use the classifieds on here or try hoosier topics to sell.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Gun stores have to make money and can't sell a used pistol for as much as new

People on facebook or FTF like they don't have to pay tax or that there's no paper trail (cause that scary 4473 means it's registered)

Curious, what gun is it?

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I understand making a profit, avoiding paying taxes, avoiding the paper trail, and the difference between asking price and buying price. I just felt with my 30 plus years in retail sales, that seeking 60 percent of new would still give them enough room to make good money on it, ecspecially seeing how I've bought three other firearms from them in four months.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I understand making a profit, avoiding paying taxes, avoiding the paper trail, and the difference between asking price and buying price. I just felt with my 30 plus years in retail sales, that seeking 60 percent of new would still give them enough room to make good money on it, ecspecially seeing how I've bought three other firearms from them in four months.

And you should have been correct.

A couple thoughts. Guns are easy to come by right now and the dealer may have felt a bit inventory heavy and cash poor. Other thing, I won't mention the dealers name (hwy 41 near Haubstat) but I had a salesperson lowball me 550 on a 750 wholesale value gun a couple or three weeks back, next place I went to the offer was 750, sometimes you just run into someone who is looking to hit the long ball.

In general I think Mcgrease08 is right.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you are trying to trade/sell at a gun shop, I would try Plainfield Shooting Supply. They have given me the best trade values and I directly compared to at least one other highly regarded shop. PSS offered triple what the other local shop did on at least one of my trades. As others have stated you will do better in the classifieds.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    If you are trying to trade/sell at a gun shop, I would try Plainfield Shooting Supply. They have given me the best trade values and I directly compared to at least one other highly regarded shop. PSS offered triple what the other local shop did on at least one of my trades. As others have stated you will do better in the classifieds.

Your right. I'll probably give them a shout tomorrow. Unfortunately, if they had one of the seven firearms I've bought, the were never the lowest seller out of the three shops I try. Maybe they can be more aggressive with a desirable trade in.

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    Everything I learned about the used gun market, I learned from the used guitar market long ago.
    Private sellers always want way too much, sometimes dang near new price.
    Retailers won't ever give more than 50% new price, unless it is something truly historic or rare, because they usually mark them at about 75% of the new price...sometime more.
    There are deals to be had in the private used market, but usually not so good that you couldn't just save up for another paycheck or two and buy one new :-/

And when it comes to selling used, I always took a hit on my item...

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Everything I learned about the used gun market, I learned from the used guitar market long ago.
    Private sellers always want way too much, sometimes dang near new price.
    Retailers won't ever give more than 50% new price, unless it is something truly historic or rare, because they usually mark them at about 75% of the new price...sometime more.
    There are deals to be had in the private used market, but usually not so good that you couldn't just save up for another paycheck or two and buy one new :-/

And when it comes to selling used, I always took a hit on my item...

And everything I've learned about everything, I've learned from buying and selling used cars.
    Thing is, I don't need to wait for another paycheck to buy the new handgun. It's simply hard to believe that the LGS would send a hot prospect/ repeat customer/ member, out on the number they did.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well I was in a LGS on Indy's southside last week, and some guy was looking at getting his wife a Gen 4 Glock 19, he asked the young man behind the counter to see one they had in stock, after the sales associate handed him the cleared G-19, the guy looks at the price and exclaims...............What?!? I got my Gen 4 Glock 23 at an Avon shop for $50 less than that a couple weeks ago?!?

Turns out he had gotten a Gen 4 Glock 23 and wanted now a Gen 4 Glock 19, so he asks the associate, how much he could get in trade in value if he was to bring in the Gen 4 Glock 23 as trade.

Associate went into the side room a minute, came back and said, we/he could only offer $250 on a new Glock and even less for a used one depending on the it's condition.

The buyer mumbled and drooled, and then asked for a Fobus holster for his don't know what to do with it Gen 4 Glock-23. They (store) were sold out of that model Fobus holster and the guy finally left as I was getting my wifes Glock some excellent care.

I don't know if the guy ever came back for a trade, new Glock, or holster, but man that young man behind the counter showed some real professional restraint.

He probably gets customers like "WhatcanIgetformyGlock", all the time.

I would have given him at least $260................

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You will always lose money trading a gun at a gun shop. The benefit is that it is over quickly and you don't have to go through the motions of selling online. If you want to get the best price then you almost have to do a private sale. If you want money fast then trade it in.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I always look at trading stuff in as paying someone else to sell it for me. Sometimes it's worth every penny to avoid the hassle and other times it's not. It all depends on what you are selling, who you are selling to and what the market is like. When trading vs. selling a car, most dealers will charge you about 3 grand to sell your car for you through a trade in. I could make that $3000 back by selling it myself but it's a PITA to do sometimes. Guns are no different. If I don't want the hassle of posting an ad with photos, dealing with lowball jerks that want the gun for nothing and then driving 30 miles to possibly be stood up, haggled with again after a price was agreed on or even robbed, then I might consider selling to a dealer.

If you are not in a hurry for a sale, you might try shops that will sell it on consignment. Lots of places will do that since it represents little risk to the shop in having money tied up in stock. If it's a gun that is uncommon or unpopular, it might be tough to find someone will to accept it on consignment and same goes if the shop already has a couple of them in stock for a popular gun. But, if it's something like a Springfield 1911 or Glock 19 and they have neither in stock at the moment, they would probably take it on consignment.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Ouch!
    Went to a LGS on the far north side, to trade in a 160 round, 2 month old pistol. Was told they would give me forty percent for what I purchased it for. What a huge contract between buying it from a Facebook group where a used piece will sell for 90-95 percent of new value.

Ouch, even Gander Mountain goes 60%.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would just list it in the classifieds here or armslist. Hoosier Topics is a joke, and basically anything listed on that site, is on here or armslist anyway.
    Best of luck with it.
    By the way, as someone else asked, what is it?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    You have to remember that the dealer needs to buy used guns for less than they can buy the same gun new.

It doesn't make sense to buy your used pistol for $350 if they can get a new one from a distributor for $330. Their selling price is only part of the equation; their buying price is at least as important.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I really feel like a gun store could do really well if they frequently bought/sold/traded guns. There are a lot of people out there who take excellent care of their weapons and do not shoot them a ton, but are always wanting another gun. Just as an off the top of my head example, if someone wanted a glock 17, they could buy a new one for $500, or buy the used one for $400, a couple of weeks later the guy brings his new or used glock into the same gun store after shooting a couple of mags through it at the range. He gets $350 for his bought new glock, or $350 for his bought used glock. Then he wants a glock 21, new one for $525, or used one for $425 and so on. Of course abuse of the weapon would make it loose value, and you would have to be clear that there are no guarantees that you will get x amount of money back due to abuse, market changes etc.

but my experience with gun stores is: "new glock $500, like new in box used glock $490, carried glock $480, beat up, abused, half destroyed glock $475".."you just bought this gun from us yesterday? We will give you $200 for it"

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Firmly believe to give a repeat customer/ member/ walking billboard forty percent of new for a 150 round quality piece, and to tell me they are going to sell it for 60 percent of new, they are tired of my business/cash. Hell, I even have a firearm in layaway with them

Top Bottom