• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mine are double stack, limited models. The 16.40 was a games gun, boxes and boxes of ammo a month hammered through it for years. Great to shoot, a little big in the grip area for some. Your selection will not have that problem.

Last edited:

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My roommate has a Black Ops. I love shooting that thing. I just got to try out a high-end Kimber today and I very much prefer the Para. It's quite a bit smoother shooting.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You'd be better off with a different manufacturer. I know I know, there's those whose para has "ran flawlessly" for a few hundred rounds

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I had a Para (P12) and traded it because it was just too heavy to carry all the time. Now it is a Glock 21 and I like it much more than any 1911 I've had. JMO

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    My lowly Para Elite Pro has been perfect out of the box - 150 flawless rounds fired through it just this afternoon. Before this one was a Para Elite Target , same story beautiful weapon flawless operation.

Good luck

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    A friend of mine trains PD's and federal agents all over and thus has quite a bit of experience. I would definitely call him an expert. He tells me that Para's internals are week and has seen things like the safetys pop out on them multiple times. As a plinking gun I'm sure it's fine for the right price, but I wouldn't use one for protection.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have owned several Para's in both double and single stack. All but the last 2 have been really great shooters.
    I picked up and Officers frame limited last year that literally fell apart at the range. I fixed everything wrong with it and traded it off with full disclosure.
    I saw a Black op's and liked it well enough so it came home with me. Bad move. I usually check a gun over pretty well before buying and did not do it to thus one. Barrel lock up was horrible. Required some work to get it right. The internals as mentioned above just suck. Tossed them for good after market pieces. Now that I have repaired it the things runs very well. This will be the last one I ever buy. I should have stayed with Springfield.

Check the gun over really well before you buy it. Para's have been a crap shoot lately. If you get a good one it will be a pleasant experience. If not, well, you know.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Have a P-18 9mm & a 14 - 45 Tactical that have both been good guns. Had a single stack LDA .45 that was a terrible POS. After numerous times back to Para without getting it to run they bought it back from me. When sending back for repair, turn around time always a MINIMUM of 4 weeks, normally 6.

stevec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    I have a P14 that I shoot in competition for 10 year and never had a issue with it. I also have a Warthog and love it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A friend of mine trains PD's and federal agents all over and thus has quite a bit of experience. I would definitely call him an expert. He tells me that Para's internals are week and has seen things like the safetys pop out on them multiple times. As a plinking gun I'm sure it's fine for the right price, but I wouldn't use one for protection.

If that were the only criteria, a person would be pretty limited on firearms. In 2 years of working at an indoor range I saw three glocks spit the left rear lug out of the frame (one was my personal 17) One slide cracked all the way across the ejection port and another had a barrel that the recoil lug snapped off. My co worker showed me another new gen 4 glock that split the barrel lug since I quit working there. With that information, would you condem the whole glock line? An officer that I know personally had his G22 fire out of battery during requalification, spitting the extractor out and requiring a new weapon to be issued, oh, and by the way, he is the training officer.

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the same thing about Beretta 92/96 series pistols. I have seen a couple locking blocks fail. I have also seen how many there are out there that get serious use. Many of them in the middle east theater of battle are way old, and still banging away faithfully. Both of mine eat anything, and have for years. Weak ammo, stout ammo, hollow point, lead, truncated cone ammo, no problem. My "New" model 96 was bought 12 years ago, I just had the Trijicon sights recharged.

As far as police, I am confident that true gun loving Peace Officers on this site will openly admit most career officers really do not do a lot of shooting, many only fire their weapon when they are scheduled for practice training or requalification. I know at least a dozen non LEO guys on this board that fire 1000 rounds a month, during the "off" season, better than double that during their competitive season.

In the last 40 plus years I have personally, not just internet, seen broken S&W's, Colts, Springfields, Beretta's, Glocks, Remingtons, M1's M14's, M16's, etc. To make it funny, I have never personally seen a blown up Hi-point, But I am sure some have.

Machines fail, just a fact of life.

If my life was in danger and any of the above mentioned brands were available, I would have no fear to use any of them.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have had my stainless GI Expert for awhile now and have shot it a lot. It has ran flawlessly with all factory hollow points I had and I hand load wad cutters and round nose. Very accurate nice shooting.

Recently picked up a glock 21 and like it a lot better than a 1911. May sell the Para if I can get it away from the wife. It is her favorite pistol. She has yet to take the Glock out yet though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a P14 that I shoot in competition for 10 year and never had a issue with it. I also have a Warthog and love it.

P-14 and a P-14 Limited. They were wonderful pistols. Never missed a beat in thousands of rounds. 2 P-12's much the same.

Just look it over really well before you take it home. If you buy it on line then look it over as soon as you get it.

Top Bottom