• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaigar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ft. Wayne
    So a couple months ago, I ran into a situation where I needed to sell my guns to deal with some financial problems. Now, things are cleared up and back to normal, and I find myself looking into picking up another handgun. The problem is, I have no idea what I'm looking for, beyond a couple specifics. So I'm turning to the INGO community to see if I can't get some good advice.

Ideally, I'm looking for something in .45, though I would be alright with .40 if I found a good deal on something. That being said, I'm not all picky as far as polymer vs. steel, or brand name either. I plan on carrying concealed, so something not terribly huge would be good. Price range that I'm looking at, is probably going to be between $400 - $500, maybe a bit higher.

I know it's not a lot of info to go off of, but hopefully someone can point me in a generally starting direction.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I don't own one, but I have shot a Springfield XDS .45 and thought it was pretty neat.

Very compact. I was a little wary at first because of its size but it was very manageable.

Maybe someone who owns one or has more experience with one can chime in with their thoughts.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't own one, but I have shot a Springfield XDS .45 and thought it was pretty neat.

Very compact. I was a little wary at first because of its size but it was very manageable.

Maybe someone who owns one or has more experience with one can chime in with their thoughts.
    XDs .45 popped in my mind as well.

dustinfz6r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    East Indy /Pendleton
    I carried a Glock 27 (.40 cal)for a while. Nice carry piece not to big or heavy. Lots of accessories available. Glock quality and reliability speaks for itself.

You could go Glock 30 if you want .45 and its not too much bigger

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For concealed comfort I say the XDs in .45

I am no fan of the series as I am a tried and true 1911 guy but your budget and usage requirements say this might be for you.

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    I just purchased my first XDS .45 3.3 inch at In-Laws and Outlaws $479 before tax . Very nice to carry and one of the best 45's I think I have owned for CC. In fact , I pumped about 80 rounds thru it today...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Along similar lines, I would recommend the M&P 45c. I don't know if it's as small as the XDs .45, but I have one and it seems like it would be fine to CC. The only downside to the gun is the crappy M&P trigger, but an Apex trigger would fix that right up and make it better than most triggers on the market. Going price at this time is around $480, so within your price range.

Slightly blurry, but here's a pic of mine:

MampP2_zps264f056a.jpg

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Glock 30s.

The problem I have with the M&P45c is the same problem I have with the standard Glock 30. The damned thing is just to fat. The 30SF is a bit better but the 30s is just right. Glock 30SF Slim Frame and G36 slide make for a nice carry combo. Never thought I'd like a Glock.

The XDs is just to small IMHO and doesn't carry enough ammo.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Did you like the firearms you had to sell? Maybe get another one like that. .45 caliber is good. My preference and money is on metal pistols. Springfield gives a good value product. Used is generally a good way of getting a little better product for the money you have to spend.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    We have a XDs 45 in the safe, I bought it for the wife, but we both shoot and carry it off and on. Very good pistol, and can be found new inside your price range. If you are looking to go steel frame, the RI 1911s are going for under $400 right now, and everyone I know that actually owns one thinks they are just great. The only drawback might be the added weight of an all steel frame for a carry gun, not knowing what you are used to.

Top Bottom