Springfield TRP 1911, and why I should...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Why I would put forward $1500 for a Springfield TRP (or any comparable 1911) for the purpose of being an EDC fighting pistol that would allegedly give me some sort of an edge over my $500 M&P 45c. (Merry Christmas btw!)

Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to whack the 1911 hornet nest, nor am I criticizing the TRP for singling it out. It's a great pistol, damn sexy looking, and no doubt an effective instrument in experienced hands. If I had $1500 laying around, and no other obligations I'd get one for myself in a heartbeat. Also, my designation of a pistol for "fighting" purposes in my mind means it will be expected to endure some abuse, wear-n-tear, and even some scuff marks that'll come with the training that any fighting pistol deserves; with how pretty it looks at the end of the day being a last in line bonus. With that in mind, the primary crux of the matter is why $1500 would do any better of a job taking the abuse and winning the day than $5-600.

My M&P, even with the apex and sight job, is still under half the cost of the TRP. The flush mags hold just as much (8 rounds) while still being able to naturally use the full size factory 10 or even 14-round mags.

For barrel length as far as muzzle velocity, assuming standard 230gr, 5" on average adds 30-40 fps over a 4" barrel. Does that 30-40 extra fps lend to anymore considerable "stopping power"? The inch more in sight radius will indeed lend towards slightly higher accuracy on the range, but does that give any sort of an edge in a 10-15 yd defensive hostile encounter? Also, some might argue that 4" will clear the holster sooner than 5" along with less upward arm motion. Now a compact 1911 will negate the barrel length argument if shorter is considered preferable for EDC, but they are still as (if not more) expensive as their full-size brothers, and probably more maintenance intensive. Also it is my understanding that the 1911 was designed to operate at it's best as a full-size piece.

Top quality 1911s like the TRP (once broken-in) are indeed great pistols, and I'll be the first to sing their praises. However one's heart will tend to sink when this handsome looking $1500 piece gets beat up on and abused, while hardly anyone would not lose much sleep over their $5-600 Glock, M&P, or XD getting it. So the question remains as to why I would consider spending nearly a grand more for something that'll be taking the same potential wear and abuse as my M&P. In my opinion, the few scratches or scuff marks any of my M&Ps have endured tend to give them character (I've even dropped them in the sand or gravel on purpose once or twice). And the polymer frame seems to be able better resist scratching than a metal frame would (or maybe it just hides it better).

Maybe the answer is more psychologically complex than simply a matter of reliability and usability, and that's okay; since for most of us there comes a certain emotional attachment we assign to our EDC pieces. That's where I'd like to hear your thoughts.

For the sake of an apples to apples discussion, we will only be discussing within the realm of .45acp "fighting" pistols. Also I only used the M&P for comparison because it's what I currently have and train with, not as a dismissing of other comparable polymer-framed .45 platforms.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Same reason I drive an F-150 instead of a Honda Accord. Because I can and I want to.

Sounds about right. Different strokes for different folks, man. Some folks just like them...because.

You could spend less on a 1911 (though admittedly more than $500) and still have a fine weapon.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe it is just that simple, and I'm not knocking that. That'll probably be the reason I'll eventually get one. At the moment in my life I tend to have a very utilitarian lens through which I see things. When it comes to quality and reliability though, I tend to think that more expensive means it'll somehow do the job better. Which may or may not be the case.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Maybe it is just that simple, and I'm not knocking that. That'll probably be the reason I'll eventually get one. At the moment in my life I tend to have a very utilitarian lens through which I see things. When it comes to quality and reliability though, I tend to think that more expensive means it'll somehow do the job better. Which may or may not be the case.

Do NOT get a nice 1911. You'll regret it about 2 dozen 1911s later.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Being frugal with your money is a wise idea but at the same time a defensive handgun is probably the one thing you will buy in your life where price should be the lowest deciding factor. It's not a fancy house or a fancy car - it is your very last line of defense.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Different league yes, but at the end of barrel the common purpose is putting out lead to stop the bad guy. Does the Springer in it's different league do so better?

Sounds like you are already second-guessing the TRP, so I would take that as a sign. If you are comfortable with the M&P45c, then I would stick with it as your EDC. I wrestled with the same idea about a year ago with a Kimber Tactical Pro. I REALLY wanted to like it and be my EDC, but it didn't do anything better than my G30. In the end, I sold it.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Being frugal with your money is a wise idea but at the same time a defensive handgun is probably the one thing you will buy in your life where price should be the lowest deciding factor. It's not a fancy house or a fancy car - it is your very last line of defense.

That being said, is the person with a Glock 20 or 30, XD45, or an M&P 45 less well-off than the guy with the TRP? Are the aforementioned polymer lines plagued with problems or shortcomings that are unheard of with top quality 1911s or similarly priced pistols?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When I was well practiced, I was faster and more accurate with a 1911 then anything else. Will it matter? Maybe. No one ever complained they were too fast or too accurate in a gun fight. Range matters, too. Reaching out past 50y or so the longer sight radius and better trigger make the long shots much easier for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That being said, is the person with a Glock 20 or 30, XD45, or an M&P 45 less well-off than the guy with the TRP? Are the aforementioned polymer lines plagued with problems or shortcomings that are unheard of with top quality 1911s or similarly priced pistols?

For practical purposes no. I always recommend a quality polymer frame striker fired pistol as a first choice. I give this advice as a person that carries a 1911 almost exclusively.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Different league yes, but at the end of barrel the common purpose is putting out lead to stop the bad guy. Does the Springer in it's different league do so better?

Better is relevant. It is preference. I do shoot the 1911 far better than an M&P but it is trigger time. I do find the 1911 to me more accurate but unless you are bulls-eye shooting do you need to be able to hit a quarter at 25 ft.
    A well tuned 1911 is a work of art. Why would you beat it up. I have been running the platform forever. Unless you have a custom made piece a scratch here or there is really just patina. Holster wear and the occasional OH :poop: thing they are just tools. We run ours.
    Why would someone pay for a Harley when there are many Metric offerings that follow the design and run very well.......choice. You can do so much to a 1911 and see/feel it improve during the process.
    It all boils down to choice/preference. If you prefer plastic you can own 2 with mods for the price of a TRP and maybe buy some ammo.
    I buy used up 1911's, re-build them and they run better than a TRP for less. Preference my friend. Where do you want to spend your money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Solid questions. The answers differ from user to user. How does the gun you like fit your hand. How does it point up for you. Do you have to search for the sights. Does the gun point and shoot (no sites) well for you. Recoil, OK or to much. Most important after all those are answered......do you like the trigger. I mean really like it. It is really hard to beat the trigger in a well made 1911. Fulcrum triggers just do not cut it with me. Far to much take up and reset search.
    I have shot a buddys tuned CZ's that are the best fulcrum triggers I have ever used. This has me lusting after his CZ-97. There is no one platform that fills all the gaps.
    I say this being a dyed in the wool 1911 guy.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I absolutely love my Springfield Operator (very very close to TRP) it is a very nice shooting gun. That being said I have a M&P Pro 9mm with aftermarket sights and the full apex treatment and I can get just as tight of groups out of it as the 1911.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Love my 1911s TRP, Operator, S&W E-Series, Kimbers etc. Dead accurate with great triggers and a pleasure to shoot. With that being said still have a lot of love for my Glocks, and H&Ks. Oh and if the Zombies really do show up probably will grab the Glock 17, or 23.psyko

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I have a TRP and I love it. Ran 100% during a 1000 rd 2 day pistol class. Dropped it on gravel a few times, the Armory Cote held up beautifully. Was my EDC for several years. Until it got to my back.

Now, I carry an alloy frame Hi Power. Lighter weight, more boolits, still a JMB design.

Carry what you can shoot well.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've been battling with this thought for some time now while I consider my first 1911 purchase and I've come to this conclusion for myself...

For practical matters, there's really not much the Glock 21/41 can't do better than a 1911... Weight, capacity, reliability, ease of use and care, durability, accuracy (somewhat), no real gun smithing skills needed, etc...

However, there are a few things modern pistols like the Glock can't do...which is to look so darn good doing everything 1911's do while carrying forward such a rich history.
    1911's pretty well win hands down in pure handgun sexiness and over 100 years of being loved so dearly by so many.
    These things are what has attracted me to the 1911 and why I can't wait to buy one.
    The only answer I can find to the Glock/modern pistol vs 1911 debate is to own and enjoy both. :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been battling with this thought for some time now while I consider my first 1911 purchase and I've come to this conclusion for myself...

For practical matters, there's really not much the Glock 21/41 can't do better than a 1911... Weight, capacity, reliability, ease of use and care, durability, accuracy (somewhat), no real gun smithing skills needed, etc...

However, there are a few things modern pistols like the Glock can't do...which is to look so darn good doing everything 1911's do while carrying forward such a rich history.
    1911's pretty well win hands down in pure handgun sexiness and over 100 years of being loved so dearly by so many.
    These things are what has attracted me to the 1911 and why I can't wait to buy one.
    The only answer I can find to the Glock/modern pistol vs 1911 debate is to own and enjoy both. :rockwoot:

:yesway:

But......"Better".................oh man are we gonna have a talk......:):

Top Bottom