• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brazilbilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Clay county
    I'm in the market for a new 9mm handgun. My search has come down to either the Walther PPQ 9mm or the HK VP9. Both seem like great guns and I am having a tough time deciding between the two. I've handled both at my LGS. They are in the same price range and have great reviews. I don't think either one would be a bad choice. Which makes the decision that much harder.
    I'm mainly looking for some input from someone who has actually owned one or both of these guns.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    You are right both are very nice guns both have excellent triggers and are both very ergonomic. Having owned both would say its a toss up, probably ought to try and handle both an see which one feels the best! Not much help I know , but they are very similar in my opinion probably favor the PPQ trigger but both are great guns!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    PPQ has a bit more of a track record due to it basically being an evolved P99. In the short term the PPQ will have better aftermarket support and more holster choices.

I liked bjenkins PPQ so well that my wife bought one based on my excitement. I am waiting for him to put his PPQ up for sale so I can buy that one too. I know he will, I predict the Wilson bug will bite soon.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know the price of the HK mags is quite steep. Not sure about the Walther ones. Might look into that slso.

Last edited:

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I have shot both. If I had to pick one I'd choose the VP9. It felt a little better in my hand, had better sights, less "muzzle flip", and, it uses P30 magazines.

But, like you said, you can't really go wrong either way. Heck, I might end up with both eventually.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I know the price of the HK mags is quite steep. Not sure about the Walther ones. Might look into that slso.

Most will say that the PPQ mags are steep, and they are compared to Glock mags.. I bought a 15 rounder for 37.99 and a 15+2 for 37.99 at Kentucky Gun Company. Great service and super fast shipping.

I can't speak about the VP9 mags, no experience with them.

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    The VP9 has the configurable grip, which was a selling point for me, but you win with either choice. My wife fell in love with my VP9 so we'll be getting her one as well. Pretty much anyone who shoots it goes "Ooohhhh..." In the words of one relative of mine: *bang. bang.* "Damn I've gotta get one of these!" *bangbangbangbangbang!* :)

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Based on the above the mags are about the same then... I liked the VP9 so much I retired my USP, my EDC for nearly 20 yrs. I have shot the PPQ several times and I definitely prefer the HK. If you ever get to Fort Wayne you can run one of mine to make sure you like it...

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have a PPQ and my good friend has a VP9. I have shot both. For me, shooting wise, there is not a nickels worth of difference between them. Both are very nice. Get one and have fun.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    From the way I hear everyone talk about the VP9, it will be my next handgun purchase. I absolutely love my PPQ but so long as the VP9 feels like it fits my hand well I will be getting one!

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    +1 ^^ on this ! I have solved many -can not decide - moments by getting creative , digging a little deeper , and just get both . :)

you can always sell one later if you like

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    In a perfect world, I would buy both. But since that's not possible at the moment, I'm leaning toward the VP9.
    Maybe in the future I'll run across a deal on a PPQ and have both.
    AceDerringer I appreciate the offer. as well as the comments from everyone else.
    I have the hkp30, hkvp9, ppqm2, and a glock 19 for comparison.

I prefer the ppq out of the four for recreational shooting because it fits my hand better, I have trijicon hd sights on it, and it's trigger is just a little better than the vp9. I think, after only 150 rounds, follow up shots are faster with the vp9 and I get less muzzle flip though, so as I get more rounds through my vp9 and get aftermarket sights installed I expect it to take the lead. The mags are equivalently priced to me. The ppq m2 has the side mag release, which is fine but I prefer the Hk style mag release, so I may actually like a ppq m1 better? The grip customization on the vp9 is overrated I feel. On the p30, it works, it feels better, feels more solid, feels more like it makes a difference, but on the vp9, the same configuration didn't feel as good or as solid. Changing out side panels on the vp9 seemed to make little difference...? The vp9 is a different product from my p30 and 45t, but it's hard to describe and I don't mean striker fired I mean like it's only related in design. I found the ppq was just as good with the med back strap in place as the vp9 with any configuration. The fact that you can get 17 round mags for the ppq is nice I guess if you are using it for hd, but they make the grip a lot longer if you are considering carry. I prefer either of these pistols over the glock 19, but I don't dislike glock i just don't shoot them much when I have more interesting firearms to shoot. The handgun I shoot the least proficiently, but the most, is my p30 since it's still my edc. I am more comfortable having the feedback from the da/sa trigger. In single action my well fired p30 breaks the nicest of the 4 but then it has that mile long reset, so follow up shots are hard and the muzzle flip is more pronounced. Lastly, I haven't had any difficulty locating holsters, barrels, night sights online for the vp9. They take the same sights as the 45 and p30, same mags as p30, etc.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You should shoot both before deciding. They're both great guns and you can't go wrong either way. But why not spend the $20 to rent both to actually figure out which one you like more before plunking down $500+?

As for my opinion between the two, I like the ppq more. I like the trigger, mag release (I've got the ppq with paddles), and slide release more. The guns ergot just work better for me. But there's people who prefer the HK as well and will say the same things I just said, only about the vp9. You really need to figure out which one works better for you. If you can't find a place that rents them, at least fondle them and get an idea of which controls you like more.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Really , I was just kidding around ......

I would never sell the other...:D

Some times , I walk away from both and hope a few days or weeks will help clear the mist . It's a nice problem to have :)

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Have both, couldn't / wouldn't sell either, get both. Exceptional handguns. Whichever comes out in .45 first, I'll buy first, likely get 2nd the one that comes out 2nd.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The configurable grip on the VP9 is what made my decision for me. I'm glad it did too seeing how after testing different configurations I found that the VP9 fits very nicely and proves to give a greater control in my hand versus the Walther. Now if the Walther feels good in your hand then either would be a great choice. I ended up using the large right, medium back and small left.

The price of mags is a moot point for me since it's a range gun and I only need a few for that.

Good price on P30/VP9 Mags - HK P30 9mm 15rd Magazine at G and R Tactical

Last edited:
    Top Bottom