• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I carry a P239 9mm. Well, until this afternoon. Purchased used with unknown round count from Bradis in October 2013. Fantastic gun, flawless performance, love the gun. Inside the grips it is marked 1999 so it is getting a bit long in the tooth. The nite sites are very dim and they have been on my "list" for awhile but today my list got bigger. I went to friends land to shoot a bit and I had light strike after light strike in both DA and SA.

First shot and it did not fire. Ejected the round and it had a very light strike dimple. Pocketed the round and chambered another. Same thing on three in a row. Fed them to the G19 and bang every time. Tried another mag and I ended up pulling the trigger at least twelve times for the eight rounds to fire. Put the gun away for the day and it is in time out until I find out why this happened. Using Federal from Walmart. I did not try any other ammo today and I have never had an issue with this ammo in the past with this gun.

Sig Custom Shop offers several services including a package deal with springs, sites, cleaning, etc for around $150 plus shipping. I am leaning towards this "tune up" with Sig based on the age and unknown history of the gun.

Anyone have any history with this Sig service or anyone local that you would recommend? My guess is trigger spring and lots of hidden dirt around the pin that normal cleaning does not get. I also use Frog Lube and it was chilly this morning but again, I have never had an issue with this gun until this morning. Thanks all for any insight and info.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    JMO, but always prefer to send it back to the manufacture whenever possible. They know more about the gun than anyone else, and some times catch 'little things' that they might throw in as part of the deal. Maybe a screw that's starting to look too worn or stripped, things like that.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am pretty sure it is a combination of gummy pin and worn hammer spring. I have put 2000 rounds through it and since it was used and showed signs of use (not abuse) when I got it, who knows how many rounds it has fired. With it needing sites and me needing peace of mind I will check with Sig this week and ship it off. ModernGunner you are right and I trust their eyes and experience over mine. You should have seen my face when all I heard was click click click on my carry gun.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Well, it's not the same gun but the same issue. One time at the range, with my M&P 15T I pulled the trigger,nothing. no bang. Then I took it apart and looked at the firing pin, it's dirty as hell. So after I cleaned it up good, it went bang every time.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I think for $150 + shipping, it would come back like new and you should never have a problem again. My buddy did this with his Sig 228 a few yrs ago. He was very happy after he got it back Good luck and let us know what you do.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ive never had an issue with any of my sigs, nor have i sent one in for the factory service package that you're talking about, but imho if you are thinking about replacing your sights (you said they were dim) i'd send it to sig, cause with the 150.00 package, they replace the springs,clean,lube inspect your gun and replace the sights. you're looking at 100 to 125 for the sights plus the labor to install them(id think 20-25) so now you're looking at the same price to replace the sights as to have sig rebuild it(basically)

my .02 cents is to send it to sig and have them do it

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Talked to Sig this morning and I will ship it out this week. Very friendly folks. It is going to cost me around $200 with shipping but that is a small price to pay for a complete overhaul and new sights. Turn around time is running 3 weeks so I will ship it off this week and carry the G19 for awhile.

Thanks for all the input and I will update when it comes back.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Talked to Sig this morning and I will ship it out this week. Very friendly folks. It is going to cost me around $200 with shipping but that is a small price to pay for a complete overhaul and new sights. Turn around time is running 3 weeks so I will ship it off this week and carry the G19 for awhile.

Thanks for all the input and I will update when it comes back.

Good call. Let Sig put new life back into your trusted 239. You really can't beat the price for what they do. I have a JK 226 that has been back for the service. Well worth it.

Keep us posted with before/after. You should get all your old parts back.

:ingo:

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Holy Moly, got the P239 back this afternoon. Very pleased with the work they did. To be honest there is nothing different in the way it looks on the outside. It is just much cleaner and there is nothing hiding in the cracks and crevices. New SIG night sights were put on and again, very clean in all the normal dust and dirt hiding spots.

The really noticeable difference is the bag of parts they sent back with it. They changed every spring, every screw, and all the connectors in the trigger. All of them. And it is tight. Very tight. The slide is much stiffer and the trigger and hammer are smooth and crisp. I am amazed at how tight, smooth, crisp, and perfect it all is.

The SIG Gunsmith did take me to task about the Frog Lube and how that was the main factor in the light strikes. Cold morning and excessive Frog Lube equated to fouled up/stuck firing pin. So I will not be using FL anymore on the guts.

I am a very happy customer and it was money well spent. They even sent a new magazine back with it. A+ for Sig Custom Shop.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The SIG Gunsmith did take me to task about the Frog Lube and how that was the main factor in the light strikes. Cold morning and excessive Frog Lube equated to fouled up/stuck firing pin. So I will not be using FL anymore on the guts.

I am a very happy customer and it was money well spent. They even sent a new magazine back with it. A+ for Sig Custom Shop.

let me guess, the sig armorer said use tw25b or mc2500? thats what the recommend on their guns!(i use remoil and white lithum grease)

thats a big plus 1 on the free mag!

glad you had a good experiance, now go shoot that sig!, and think about your next sig!(may i suggest a 220, or a m11a1)

Tp222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Laporte
    Your sig has a lifetime warranty, and it's a small price for them to make the gun like new again. I only have certified armors and custom shop work on my sigs.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Do you use the liquid or paste form FL?. IIRC, its the liquid that get gummy in cold temps.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I use both the paste and the liquid. The first coat was the paste. I did the hair dryer heat up process the first time and gave it a light coat and was very happy with the results. I used the liquid after the range or just to maintain and lube the internals. I will still use the liquid for the outside of all my guns because I really like the results but I will switch to something else for the slide rails and the internals. It is just too hard for me to keep the FL light enough for the inside. Once the Frog Lube drips I just can't wipe it off and spread it around enough in there.

A few drops and a microfiber cloth on the outside of my guns does a fantastic job and I will continue that. My Glocks, hunting shotguns, and rifle barrels stay minty fresh and repel rain if I am duck hunting or plinking.

Top Bottom